Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a web game that people here might find interesting.

I'm going to be using it in my social studies class this quarter to help my students get a better appreciation of the scope and complexity of issues that the country is grappling with today.

Here is a link to the game's FAQ, I can only assume that the game's implementation could bring up many different critiques.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
I cringe when I read this in the FAQ:

Quote:

How did you define “fiscal sustainability?”

We define fiscal sustainability as lowering the ratio of the federal debt held by the public to the gross domestic product in 2041 from a projected 126% to 75%, roughly where it is today. Although there is no consensus on just how much debt is “sustainable,” experts are generally in agreement that the current trajectory of ever-rising debt is economically risky. To be sure, some economists and some politicians argue that reducing the debt/GDP ratio to 75% over the next 25 years is not enough.

Contrast this with this paper: http://scindeks-clanci.ceon.rs/data/pdf/1452-595X/2011/1452-...
Quote:
4. Summary and Conclusions
As Lerner (1947) recognized in an essay entitled Money as a Creature of the State, there is an important link between sovereignty over money and sovereignty over policy. Governments that control their own currencies can coordinate their fiscal and monetary operations and prevent financial markets from dictating the terms of finance. They can spend first and borrow later, as Bell (2000) and Fullwiler (2006) have shown. They can “afford” anything that is for sale in the domestic unit of account. They can sustain the debt at any level. They can restore growth and eliminate economic insecurity, implementing their policies in accordance with the principles of Functional Finance.

As the US is a sovereign currency issuer (the reserve currency to boot) it can sustain any debt level. In fact, government debt equals the savings of the private and foreign sector. Thus, saying we have too much debt implies we also have too much savings! (see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectoral_balances )

The real constraints the government has to observe in its spending policies are the rates of unemployment and inflation. It wants to adjust its deficit spending to achieve full employment and stable prices. As long as we have unemployed workers we CAN afford it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are seven possible policy actions under Social Security, and none of them is to raise the taxable income limit?!

Ahh - I found it under Income and Payroll Taxes. Other policies are cross-listed, I wonder why not this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
God is a cruel croupier, he dealeth and he taketh away
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread title is très sexy when talk-sung in a Jim Morrison voice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.