Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just learning Panzer and am not sure I completely understand above vehicle movement and changing hexsides. I tried to look, but didn't see any other post addressing the following question.

So, according to 4.5.1.1.4 vehicles receive one free hexside change per hex they occupy or enter and can be done at the beginning, during or at the very end of a move.

So, let's say a vehicle moves into a hex with it's last movement point and changes facing by a single hexside, which costs no movement points. If the vehicle wishes to move in the next turn as well, can it make a free turn *before* moving into a new hex. The answer would appear to be 'yes', but would not the vehicle be considered to have used it's "free" turn in the occupied hex at the end of the last movement phase? So, does this free turn per hex reset for each movement phase (which would certainly be much easier to deal with), or does one need to keep track of if/when a vehicle turns in any given hex? The latter seems quite fiddly and there doesn't appear any easy way to track that, so I'm thinking it's not an issue, but I'm not sure how literally "one free hexside turn per hex" needs to be enforced.

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren:

The free turn is per hex, not per move. 4.5.1.1.4 says (emphasis added):

Quote:
"Turning costs apply only to vehicles. Vehicles turn by pivoting in place and then moving in a new direction. Turn costs apply only if the vehicle makes a turn in excess of one hexside (60-degrees).

Vehicles receive one free hexside turn for each hex they occupy or enter. This could be at the beginning of a move, during a move, or at the very end of a move.

[commentary - do not read this to mean that those are the only occasions on which a unit can turn, it is simply making the point that in addition to mid-move turns, turns in those locations are also possible - i.e. you do not need to enter a new hex in order to turn.]

Quote:
Turn costs are based on the Terrain type, not the magnitude of the turn. If the vehicle turns 2 or 3 hexsides in a hex, the turn cost is subtracted from the available movement speed allowance. Turn costs are the same during forward or reverse moves.

Turn costs are listed on the Terrain Effects Table on Game Card A in the Turn column. Vehicles may never exceed their avail- able movement speed allowance by turning. Turning can trigger Overwatch Fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:

So, let's say a vehicle moves into a hex with it's last movement point and changes facing by a single hexside, which costs no movement points. If the vehicle wishes to move in the next turn as well, can it make a free turn *before* moving into a new hex. The answer would appear to be 'yes', but would not the vehicle be considered to have used it's "free" turn in the occupied hex at the end of the last movement phase?

The answer is no, it hasn't used its free turn for the current game-turn in that hex based upon the prior turn's move into that hex.

Quote:
So, does this free turn per hex reset for each movement phase (which would certainly be much easier to deal with), or does one need to keep track of if/when a vehicle turns in any given hex?

There is no turn-to-turn bookkeeping for who turned when/where. Each game-turn stands entirely on its own in that regard.

Quote:
The latter seems quite fiddly and there doesn't appear any easy way to track that, so I'm thinking it's not an issue, but I'm not sure how literally "one free hexside turn per hex" needs to be enforced.

Thanks for any help.

Not that literally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being too literal tends to be a character flaw of mine. whistle

Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.