30.1% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
We're starting to see a lot of cool tricks being performed with board games now. Slowly but surely the app is starting to come into its own with assisting our modern board games and I want to see more of it. However there are still some cool ideas being devised without the use of technology and I always like to try a new game where something innovative is brought to the table. Of course that doesn't always go well (cough cough, 504 ways to bore yourself), but it's still good to try.

Mystic Vale I've had my eye on for a while since hearing of its unique "Card Crafting System". A device which functions similarly to deck building except instead of adding more cards to a deck, you add more abilities to the cards within your deck. So the deck never changes size but each card you have gets more powerful and more interesting. That just sounds cool full stop and naturally it was a must to get this one played and reviewed. I don't expect greatness straight out the door for a new idea, but let's see if it has a solid introduction with room to expand.

Designer: John D Clair
Publisher: AEG
Players: 2-4
Time: 60-90 min
RRP: £38.99

Enter Ferngully

From the AEG website:

A curse has been placed on the Valley of Life. Hearing the spirits of nature cry out for aid, clans of druids have arrived, determined to use their blessings to heal the land and rescue the spirits. It will require courage and also caution, as the curse can overwhelm the careless who wield too much power.

In Mystic Vale, 2 to 4 players take on the role of druidic clans trying to cleanse the curse upon the land. Each turn, you play cards into your field to gain powerful advancements and useful vale cards. Use your power wisely, or decay will end your turn prematurely. Score the most victory points to win the game!

Innovative Card Crafting System creates a game experience like you’ve never played before!

Beautiful artwork and graphics that bring the game to life.
Concise rules offer a deep gaming experience with meaningful decisions.
Tremendous replay value that will increase with future expansions.

Batteries Not Included, But Sleeves Are

In Mystic Vale you have to acquire upgrades in the form of plastic sheets that you sleeve literally into your deck. Therefore the first point of call is component quality as there is plenty to go wrong here. AEG supply 100 sleeves in the box (if only every publisher did this #dreaming) designed to cover four starter decks with 20 cards each and provide spares just in case. Nice touch adding spares as we all know how fickle some sleeves are. They about the same kind of consistency as a typical premium level sleeve that you would get from Mayday so they're pretty sturdy and so far I've had no tearing problems even with fully packed upgrades. You'll be pleased to know as well that AEG didn't forget to ensure that the box could store all cards with sleeves with room for future expansion.

The upgrades themselves are on plastic sheets with the abilities shown on either the top, middle or bottom row of the card. This means you can add up to three of these to any blank card in your deck. Each one slots into the sleeve fairly effortlessly though you will notice a slight bulk to the card when shuffling your deck so it's not too difficult to tell them apart. I recommend emptying your mind like you're in the Matrix or something when shuffling

Players have complained about the protective cellophane covers on the upgrades, but personally I don't see a big deal with them. Some of them do show their "dog ears" early, but you just peel those ones off and all is well. I peeled off 5 in total after organizing the contents, that's not bad. The rules say you can happily go ahead and peel them all off if you like, but I'm just going to leave mine on for as long as they last and be content with that.

The artwork is just sublime wherever you look. Not one colour on the palette is left out and everything is bright and gorgeous. There is one downside though. The Vale cards which you can purchase for points have a nice large picture on them, full blown and naturally gorgeous. The upgrade cards however have the pictures and abilities squeezed into one single row on the card (3 rows per card). This means that even though the art is great, you have to make a bit of effort with your eyes to appreciate it all. I realise of course that this is necessary for the game to function, but I almost feel bad for the artist! They are a little easier to read in the main rulebook and it provides detailed rules for each card (though they're pretty self explanatory really) as a nice little aid.

A Glossy Painting Over A Blank Canvas

First and foremost, be aware that the theme is a pasted on affair here. The cards all relate to some form of druidic lore or form of nature and the terminology for your tableau is a "field", but this could have been any theme you chose and so make sure you go in knowing that you're playing Mystic Vale for the mechanics, not the theme even though it's one hell of a beautiful paint job.

However the mechanics are what make Mystic Vale what it is. It's predominantly an engine building game where much like a typical deck builder you want to be as efficient as you can and generate the most lucrative turns possible. But there's something to be said about the difference in feel of simply adding a card into a ever-growing deck and sleeving the upgrades into your physical deck itself, it's really cool when you do it. Plus this means that your deck never increases in size, you start off with 20 cards and it will forever stay at 20 cards, which is handy given their size, but you know how annoying it gets to maintain and shuffle decks when they get too large.

This allows you to be a little more creative with how you design your cards. You know you're going to cycle through those 20 cards often, but do you speed that up even more with abilities? Do you opt for excess mana generation to purchase cool cards or do you prefer to avoid spoiling as much as possible? The Vale cards are a nice means to score more points but as I found out in my last game you can even avoid them entirely, instead gaining your points from the upgrades themselves both from end-of-game points and "when played" points that generate every time you play the card from the deck. There's a surprising amount of choices for what strategy to go for and this is influenced by what upgrades are available in general.

Vanilla Flavouring

Sadly aside from having something bought before you can get hold of it, there are no methods whatsoever in which you can influence the other players. Mystic Vale is multiplayer solitaire, which is not unlike most engine building games to be fair, but I would have liked to have seen a little more interaction in the cards. Wouldn't it have been weird to have abilities that actually swapped upgrades between players?

There is also the feeling that everything feels a little . . . . vanilla. The abilities are different, but not the most exciting around. Despite a small amount of variation in the first tier deck, everything else is included in every game so you're going to see the same stuff appear again and again. It's not quite the "tremendous replay value" that AEG quotes on the website. Even base Dominion offered some degree of variety in its base box.

So I get the uneasy feeling that you'll enjoy it for a short while, but eventually it will lose its momentum. It will need to be updated with expansions (one planned for October already) and then it will gain some life back, but I fear it will get over-shadowed by future titles that use this system. Edge of Darkness by the same designer is already looking to fulfill that role. It's like Mystic Vale is saying "look at my new design, isn't it cool?" and we're saying "yeah it is, but what else can it do?".

Verdict on Mystic Vale

Mystic Vale is a milestone in innovation, that much has to be acknowledged here. This idea of literally building the cards themselves has never been done before and its implementation which is by no means perfect is still handled very well in this game. It doesn't feel like a gimmick and it makes the imagination run wild with how future games that utilise this system could turn out like as it develops in the long run.

Now Mystic Vale is at that upper level of the gateway game genre with the options it provides you in card design, but the rules themselves are pretty straightforward. You'll be quickly into your first game and keen to try different strategies in future iterations. It is however a multiplayer solitaire affair, the interaction with other players is non-existent, less so than even dry deck builders like Dominion and as such it may prove to feel very vanilla in nature.

It's an engine building game through and through so don't expect a ton of exciting moments or tense finishes. But it's one that sparks creativity as you piece together your ultimate card. The variety isn't quite there yet but with expansions I think this can grow from an OK game to a great game. The question is whether you will stick around that long, I probably will though. Mystic Vale has some room for improvement but it's a solid genesis of a cool new system.

If you are interested in this game you can find a copy at your friendly local gaming store - http://www.findyourgamestore.co.uk/

YOU WILL LIKE MYSTIC VALE IF:

You want a fun twist on deck building games.

You want an alternative gateway level game to teach engine building mechanics.

You love the artwork and visual appeal of the setting used here.

YOU WILL NOT LIKE MYSTIC VALE IF:

You want a thematic deck builder - it's engine building through and through.

You're not comfortable with multiplayer solitaire - at 4 players it overstays its welcome.

Your eyesight isn't perfect - the upgrade cards being split into 3 rows does affect readability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this a couple of times as four player and it's a lot of fun. Kicks my butt each time, but I enjoy the concept of this game. Looking forward to where they expand this to down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that Mystic Vale is the simplified intro "proof of concept" game that was released before the more meaty game that the designer actually designed for the system first, and which there is an "ad" for in the end of the rule book... (Sadly not listed on BGG yet so I had to google up the name "Edge of Darkness")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I mentioned the Edge of Darkness in the review. However I'm not overly keen on publishers and designers selling games at full price as a "test-run" essentially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
Yes I mentioned the Edge of Darkness in the review. However I'm not overly keen on publishers and designers selling games at full price as a "test-run" essentially.

I think that's my biggest issue with the game, aside from there not being a ton of game there(meaning once you play it a few times it isn't going to have new tricks or strategies). The asking price is a bit steep, especially with a new expansion coming out in a month or so. I can sort of understand since it's all plastic with sleeves and what not, really at the end of the day we're paying for more components and less game. I'm hoping the expansions will be relatively low in price to reflect that it, most likely, won't be including more sleeves or anything like that, just the plastic cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly Greenwoodtree

Palmer Lake
Colorado
msg tools
mb
My Thoughts & House Rules Re: Mystic Vale Review -
Ive owned this game since it came out, and have played it at least 18 times since, with 2, 3, & 4 players.
It's a fast, fun, easy to learn game, and I highly recommend it, especially for those evenings when its too late or you're too tired to fit in another high strategy thinking game but don't want to call it quits just yet! meeple

My house rules change a few things and make game play more satisfying:

1) I always add 5 more victory points to the pile which extends game play by a hand or two. It works well and hasn't screwed up anything.

WHY: We've found that right when we've finally gotten really juicy decks built, the game ends be cause of too few victory points.

2) I add in 1-3 extra 1st level improvement cards, depending on number of players.

WHY: The extra cards really does help people so they don't have to waste a turn passing if the Fertile Soil cards are all gone.

3) I'm removing the 1st Level "Search hand and remove card then shuffle" card.

WHY: In NONE of the games we've played has this card been useful and it sits and takes up space.

4) Considering replacing #3 card with my own version - a great suggestion from one of my players - Why isnt there a card that can reset 1 or more 1st level cards?

WHY: It doesn't fit perfectly with the theme, but we are tired of staring at useless cards turn after turn, and having a couple 'reset' cards would help with that. This is a fast paced, simple game - unusable cards seem futile and make game play less fun. In a more complex game, sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're referring to the Search your deck and remove a card one for Point 3 - I've actually managed to use many of those effectively as I've chain removed Cursed Lands from the deck while building up the blank cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aran Mull
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I am going to echo much of the initial review:

1. Really interesting mechanic. I am very interested to see what else develops from it.

2. Gorgeous art! Truly. I would replace the victory tokens just because the rest of the game is too beautiful to debase it with simple cardboard tokens.

3. Card sleeves. Again - love the mechanic ... but we were having the sleeves give out at an aggregate rate of between 1 and 2 per game.

4. Nothing in the game supports interaction between players. Right in our first game we were making the same comparison with Dominion that the original reviewers were. I could overlook this (it is just one game and we are more than capable of coming up with our own excuses to give each other grief ) but for one last issue.

5. Balance ... or the lack of it. Luck plays far too big a role. In one of the games we played (3 players at the time) two players had consistent average hands/mana available. The third player had two hands where he got larger than average amounts of mana out - both times was able to purchase inserts that eliminated cursed soils - and that was the end of the game. The two other players bought a couple of level one inserts but by then the other player had bought out the rest of the level one inserts and they were stuck either buying fertile soils (until they also ran out) or spoil over and over trying to get enough mana available to afford a level two insert. For at least three-quarters of the game there was no game. Another game saw something similar, although no where near as bad.

Everyone we game with are older with decades of gaming ... and maturity with respect to winning and losing games. We laugh about it and move on. Having to wait 40 minutes to officially lose when it is patently obvious what the outcome is for that entire time takes away the fun for all involved - even winning was stale. We'll probably look at the expansion when it comes out because, again, the art is wonderful and the mechanic is really interesting. Until then shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol your point about having to wait 40 minutes to officially lose is exactly why I give super-heavy gamers who play things like Food Chain, Arkwright and 18XX style games a hard time! Except then it's 3 hours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.