Arcadia Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Do you like how equipment is drafted in AQ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I have been playing for a while (2 campaigns) with a home rule:

Instead of handing a set of random cards to start the equipment draft after each game, we put the 4 equipment card piles upside on the table and do a secret bid to let players pick their initial lots in order (basically you bid for being first to pick a lot to start the draft with).

I do this because I like being able to combo my characters with equipment, and it is a way to get value on the extra coin I get in some games that I cannot use.

This is so simple that my question is why was this never considered before?

Am I missing something on the logic of doing a full random draft? Why would be the normal way better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you can see whats in the piles before choosing it then the first player would definitely have a big advantage for picking the equipment he needs. also since you know whats in the other piles it can also influence your choice of what you pass to the next player.

the randomness from the normal rules is more fair to all players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Angelsenior wrote:
if you can see whats in the piles before choosing it then the first player would definitely have a big advantage for picking the equipment he needs. also since you know whats in the other piles it can also influence your choice of what you pass to the next player.

the randomness from the normal rules is more fair to all players.

Thats my point, is it fairer to depend on luck? remember that the first one to pick (as well as the others) do so according to the amount they bid, so after a game in which players get 8-15 gold, if a player wants to ensure getting one or two pieces of equipment you end up bidding the maximun you can bid keeping just enough spare to get the equipment you want.

The more you bid the higher chance you get at your lot, how is that less fair? And remember its a secret bid, you dont know what others are bidding (and who will be second and third pick) until bids are revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Cutler
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the drafting mechanism. Since I know I can only buy three out of the six cards, I tend to choose three cards that I don't want the others players to have. Remember this game is not a co-op. I want to be able to kill the other players. No one not playing Spike wants him to have the Amulet of Retribution. Spike just becomes impossible to kill then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio M
Australia
flag msg tools
M0ebius wrote:
I have been playing for a while (2 campaigns) with a home rule:

Instead of handing a set of random cards to start the equipment draft after each game, we put the 4 equipment card piles upside on the table and do a secret bid to let players pick their initial lots in order (basically you bid for being first to pick a lot to start the draft with).

I do this because I like being able to combo my characters with equipment, and it is a way to get value on the extra coin I get in some games that I cannot use.

This is so simple that my question is why was this never considered before?

Am I missing something on the logic of doing a full random draft? Why would be the normal way better?

Ivan, your idea is nice, I like it. However, I see some issues with it.

1) In some cases, it could help the player with the most money tremendously. Say that player A did great in the scenario and won with 15 coins. Players B, C and D did poorly and only got 5 coins each. The standard rule mitigates the risk of first player running ahead too much by making it random and forcing A to waste some of his money. But in your method instead, player A can safely bid 1 coin because he knows that nobody else will bid anything: the other players only have 5 coins so they want to keep them to get some stuff.

2) It could lead to very long waiting time. This single step (the blind auction) might take a lot of time if players want to optimize. Basically the approach is: look at the 4 piles, look at the 4 guilds and their current equipment, look at the money of the other 3 players and estimate how much they would bid. The amount that they would bid needs to be smaller than a given value, which is the amount needed to buy the 3 items that they need from every one of the 4 piles. Hopefully you got the idea.

3) Since this method does not add money at all, but takes money away from players, overall the amount of money spent is gonna be less. I don't know if this is an issue or not, but if we believe that the designers spent lots of time playtesting to find the right balance of money and equipment cost, then we break the balance here.

One potential advantage instead, is that each player can plan their purchases better. After the bidding is done, and piles are assigned, you know where all items are. You can know for example that it's impossible for you to get that bow you were hoping for, so you change your strategy right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I Think you make a very valid point Claudio.

I didnt think much about it but I realized that the other home rule I play with (just these two btw) may affect this, as a catch up mechanism we bump the money earnt by the last player each mission, giving him extra coins until he has as many as the second worst minus 1 (so if the last has 5 and the second last has 9 he gets to be at 8), that introduces a bit extra cash in the system.

On comboing, it may help spike getting the amulet but only if he is willing to pay a lot and the player has the cash for it, it would be as easy to oudbid the spike player to grab that pile too, at the same time it lets some minor heroes get some other needed gear for their own abilities as well. On that point I think that the pros crearly outweight the cons also based on my experience in the 2 campaigns.

On money spent I dont see that much of a difference, I did not see runaway leader effect which I feared a bit either as the laggers save a lot of money by not bidding that they can spend on gear.

Thx for your comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.