$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.9% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Pandemic: The Cure» Forums » General

Subject: For people looking to get the older edition / Bad component quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvir
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My Pandemic: The Cure arrived yesterday and I thought I got the newer edition with the non badge-shaped role cards, since the back of the box showed the role cards as regular card shaped cards. I was surprised to find out that I actually received the older version with the badge shaped role cards. So for anyone who wants the badge cards, I got mine from Chapters Canada. Keep in mind though that this isn't a guaranteed method as Chapters probably has many warehouses and your copy might not come from the same warehouse/stock as my copy. There is a 10% off $50 coupon code you can find on google (not sure if it has expired yet). Note that the game is actually something like.. $49.95 so what I did was that I added some gift label stickers that were a couple of dollars to bump it up to about $50.

Alright, now onto the meat of this post. Going into this I had read all about the bad quality of the game components. Things like chipped paint on the Treatment Ring, unpainted die pips, flaking paint on dice, etc., etc. I have all of these problems straight out of the box. However, I have some specific problems that I have not heard anyone mention and I was wondering if I am a unique case.

First off, the dice. Along with the usual problems mentioned above, I found that many of the pips on my dice have "donut holes", as if when the paint was drying someone took a toothpick and stabbed all the centers of the pips leaving empty holes in them—not cool.

Secondly, my Treatment Ring has a bunch of "rings" the exact size as the holes stamped all over so that the "rings" are actually cut into the plastic surface. Not enough to punch out a hole but enough to mar the surface. Part of the Treatment Ring also has some sort of stain on it, almost like dried glue that looks cloudy and is rough to touch. On top of that there is generally just a lot of nicks, bumps, and lumps all over.

I am definitely going to contact Z-Man about this, but before I do my question is this: Does anyone else have similar problems with their Treatment Ring (glue stains, "ring" cuts) and the "donut holes" in their dice pips? Or am I just a unique case? I am pretty unimpressed with the quality of this game seeing as it wasn't cheap and wasn't from some unknown publisher. A brand new product shouldn't be like this when you open the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem I had with the treatment ring is that the first hole on the outbreak track is smaller than the other holes, so the peg doesn't fit into it. But none of the problems you described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvir
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just as a follow up, I contacted Z-Man about my problems and I am astounded by their customer service! I sent in a request a few days ago and my parts have already arrived—I did not expect them so soon! The new Treatment Ring is so clean and beautiful! Thank you so much Z-Man!! Great customer support and great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N/A
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that is great to hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.