Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the new expansion roles be cards like the second edition, or badges, like the first edition? If they are cards, which I suspect, will cards for the base game roles be included so that it can be compatible with the first edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by badges? I just traded for a copy recently. My role cards have a small section punched out at the end. Is that what you mean? I don't see why those wouldn't be compatible with anything that the expansion might have in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The die-cut "badge" look cards are no longer available. Cards have the same titles, pictures, colors overall size, etc. but now they are standard card format. Compatible for playing but not quite matching the early edition's card style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By compatible I meant the ability to shuffle the roles and hand them out randomly. If the cards are different shapes, this becomes a very biased process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grejam53 wrote:
The die-cut "badge" look cards are no longer available. Cards have the same titles, pictures, colors overall size, etc. but now they are standard card format. Compatible for playing but not quite matching the early edition's card style.
That's what I would've thought.... that the "regular card edition" is what they're going with from now on, as opposed to it being a "fluke" or one time thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't foresee any problem shuffling up roles and dealing them out. I suppose if the new cards are twice the size of the current cards, that could be a problem, but just a slight size change isn't going to matter. It's not like these cards need to remain secret during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpalframan wrote:
By compatible I meant the ability to shuffle the roles and hand them out randomly. If the cards are different shapes, this becomes a very biased process.

Just draw the player pawns out of a cup instead, problem solved

Or put one of each player's dice in a cup and draw one of those each, problem solved again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
mpalframan wrote:

Or put one of each player's dice in a cup and draw one of those each, problem solved again!

That's why they pay you the big bucks! I was all set to be grumpy about having mismatched role cards that are a pain to shuffle, but your solution is perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
My Secret Santa is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just 7 roles from the base game, so I think they will just include these as cards, so the first edition owners won't have two different types of roles. When they changed the size of the pawns in Pandemic: On the Brink, they included the pawns from the base game in the smaller size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A perfectly good solution. In my experience with regular Pandemic, I typically deal each player two cards to choose between. It's doable with two pawns followed by cards, but more fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chetil wrote:
It's just 7 roles from the base game, so I think they will just include these as cards, so the first edition owners won't have two different types of roles. When they changed the size of the pawns in Pandemic: On the Brink, they included the pawns from the base game in the smaller size.

That would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
re:random selection, I have slipped my role cards so they all 'feel' the same, just don't look at the shuffle and then deal 'em out or go with the elegantly simple solution of 'pawn in a cup' as mentioned already :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N/A
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope they do. I have the first edition, is there anything else different in the second? Especially things that would effect comparability with the expansion? I plan on getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
msg tools
The pandemic base game has seperate replacement decks:
http://www.zmangames.com/store/p86/Pandemic_-_Replacement_De...

I tried contacting Z-Man games about the possibility to get/buy replacements for the role cards in the old version, but haven't got a response yet.

I'll let you know if I get a reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
msg tools
I got a response from Z-Man games.
They said they'll look into the issue, but in the meantime, I should use opaque cards sleeves to 'fix' the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can just mix and draw from the bottom of the deck though.. right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpalframan wrote:

For those just coming to this conversation, this excellent suggestion from reverendunclebastard bears repeating. From a randomization standpoint it works perfectly. However if the problem is OCD about the cards not being the same then it's obviously not a solution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.