Hide
22 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: How to Make Scythe Exponentially More Fun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen
msg tools
I intended on starting this post by apologizing for the clickbait, but, in reality, the title may not truly be clickbait. Scythe is the second game I've Kickstarted and my feelings about it have been mixed. What's funny, though, is that my feelings haven't at all been mixed regarding my experiences actually playing the game (I quite enjoy it). Instead, they have been mixed because of these damn forums. The power of suggestion is quite strong. It seems that so many of these threads try to tell you what is right about the game and what is wrong about the game.

Want to enjoy Scythe more?

Stop reading everyone's thoughts on the game, nitpickings of it, ways to improve it, why it's broken, why it's all hype, etc., and just watch a video that explains how the game is played. Base if you think you'd like the game on that. There is no game that is perfect and you will find countless threads on why game X isn't as good as game Y and a counter thread on why game Y isn't as good as game X or game Z.

I haven't actually been on BGG for very long, but so far, I find it to be a real downer. I would get excited about a game and then read some threads about why the game wasn't good and it would make me doubt if I wanted to buy the game and play it. Those types of threads, however, exist about all games. If you base whether or not you'll buy or play a game on something you read on BGG, you may never play a single game since all of them are flawed.

Interested in Scythe? Stop reading all the threads on here and just play the game. See how it goes. Also, regardless of whether you like or dislike it after you play it, stay away from the forums because what many of them do, purposefully or not, is to sway your opinion one way or the other. Games are about fun. If you like the game, play it and don't bother reading why you shouldn't like it. If you don't like it, don't bother reading why you should.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if I'd stopped reading everyone's thoughts on the game, then I'd never have seen this post and not known to not do so.

I'd be caught in a vicious logic cycle, never to return as I wander the middle dimension between reading forums and reading post on forums suggesting that I shouldn't read what I just read.

My brain hurts. I'm going to go play Scythe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, more seriously. Sure, there's a lot of comments that influence toward the negative.

What would be missing by ignoring forums, however, are all the great posts that have enhanced the game for me.

For instance, there are strong personalities on the Scythe forum topic that have helped countless folks learn about the Automa. Not just rules, but also strategies.

The session reports, as well, have shown a great deal of positive reflections on the game.

I guess don't necessarily throw the forums out with the forum-water. Unless it truly does harsh your mellow, in which case I agree that its best to forego influences that reduce the enjoyment of this game.

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, I've been thinking almost this exact thing for a couple of weeks. I still read the forums because apparently I don't like myself, but I take them with a grain of salt. Also, there's been a weird backlash of people who seem to resent Scythe's popularity and seem to feel it their responsibility to "take it down a notch," so it doesn't get a big head or something. You don't like it? That's cool, but maybe settle down a little and state your reasons less vitriolically. Anyway, it's neither here nor there, I suppose. One of my favorite games is Anachronism, which got me into the hobby. It's rated 5.9 on BGG, and I don't care. I love it, still (though I no longer have a buddy to play with).

Long story short: this is good advice. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In all seriousness: read the per-faction strategy articles that J Kaemmer (username "iswearihaveajob") posted. Maybe skip the comments (though most of them are certainly above the seeming average for Scythe forums), but read the strategy articles, they're a great insight into the strengths and weaknesses of each faction, and how to play to those strengths and weaknesses using the player boards. I can only hope that he continues on to cover each player board in as much detail, as he has mused about possibly doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In summary:

There's a passivist groupthink that ruins the game for some groups.

Then there are some people that feel the game is good but not as fantastic as they imagined it would be.

Finally there is a faction that has decided that they have figured out all of the optimal moves and there is only one path to victory for each player board combination.

Basically the same complaints you can level at any asymmetric area control/resource management euro hybrid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newtsmelt wrote:

I haven't actually been on BGG for very long, but so far, I find it to be a real downer.[/i].

I hate to say it, but I agree, the forums for this game are hard to stomach. Everyone seems to get in a play or two and then proceed to tell us what changes need to be made to the game. These "one play, now here's the variant" threads are both premature and presumptive. This game has had extensive playtesting; it bothers me that people feel that changing elements of play will have not affect other systems within the game.

I wonder if it is the same people who so boldly instructed Mr. Stegmeier on the ins and outs of running a proper Kickstarter campaign who are now kind enough to fix his game for him.

Just play it, if you don't like it, stop playing it. If you feel the need to house rule it, please do --just don't post about it until after you have playtested it at least 100 times!

P.S. Clickbait sucks --both the term and the tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
You're asking us to discuss the merits of stifling discussion..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read everything. Just apply an appropriate weight to every individual thing you read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I thought the thread would be on ways to play the game with your SO while simultaneously engaging in other "recreational" pursuits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"How to make a title for a post just to get people to read it". So you wrote a title that was indicating some negative connotation, just to get people to read your post about other posts that are negative. Hmm, ok then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
itmo wrote:
"How to make a title for a post just to get people to read it". So you wrote a title that was indicating some negative connotation, just to get people to read your post about other posts that are negative. Hmm, ok then.

It sure worked to bring you in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen
msg tools
itmo wrote:

Correct. I wrote this post after I realized how much negative forum posts about a game can make one think less of the game. This is true of every game, but recently, it's been true of Scythe. So I titled it this way because I want to save those unwitting masochists that would click on the next post about how a game they like is broken, has no variation, needs to be changed, etc. from ruining the game for them by letting them know that these complaints can be found of all games and that they simply don't have to read them.

I'm sure there are people who enjoy pointing out faults that exist in every single game and those who enjoy reading about them, but that's not me and surely there are others who feel the same. This is how we break the cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve w
United States
milwaukee
wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
newtsmelt wrote:
I haven't actually been on BGG for very long, but so far, I find it to be a real downer

Thats actually a feature of the internet as a whole, not just BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
And here I thought the thread would be on ways to play the game with your SO while simultaneously engaging in other "recreational" pursuits.

Strip Scythe?

Instead of getting a star, opponents must remove an article of clothing. You win as last clothed player.

Or maybe replace the encounter deck with more suggestive cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be mean or anything, but if I buy, I don't know, Monopoly, never read anything about it, and I find it fun enough, should I not be entitled to draw the conclusion that it is an excellent game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding how to make Scythe exponentially more fun, I'm thinking playing it with 4 naked super models of my choice.

Not that I know any super models, clothed or not, let alone super models who want to play Scythe with me in any state of dress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carrion wrote:
Regarding how to make Scythe exponentially more fun, I'm thinking playing it with 4 naked super models of my choice.
That might be a bit distracting. I think, I'd skip playing Scythe under such circumstances...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Negative comments are more helpful than positive ones. If the "drawback" is something that doesn't personally bother me, I know I can ignore it. Have the confidence to believe your own opinions and know what you like and dislike. And don't stop posting "flaws." We need those posts here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Siefken
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, distracting and detracting from the game play, so first play Scythe and the winner gets a night out in 1920 rusviet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
"I haven't actually been on BGG for very long, but so far, I find it to be a real downer."

This.

I love BGG as a resource, but find it has a negative effect on my enjoyment of board games. Too much nitpicking, dissecting, pedantry and general negativity towards board games (odd, right?). I've noticed the same kinds of things in other pop-culture hobbies as well. Negativity seems to go hand and hand with fandom. SO, I agree with the OP. Play more board games.

I think that's just the internet and people in general. As long as you're aware of it, and try to be part of the solution and not the problem, I think it's all good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.