Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Fisher
United States
east lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During game set-up, players are dealt 3 treason cards each...exceptions being those with special character abilities, Master of Shadows who "Start the game with no Treason cards"...while Black Widow states "All opponents start the game with 1 extra Treason card".
So both are in a game. Does the Master of Shadows remain treason card free(because he's so good at spying and is a step ahead) or does the Black Widow give 1 to the Master of Shadows?

I can see arguments for both answers but wonder which special character ability "trumps" the other. Thanks in advance for responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Meyer

Minnesota
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When the Black Widow was designed, the intent was to force the Master of Shadows to take one card.

The original text on the Black Widow character card was "All opponents start the game with 1 extra Treason card than normally proscribed." Or something like that.

The end of the sentence had to be truncated to fit on the final card.

As always, everyone can make their own house rules, but my original intent was that the Black Widow forces all players to take 1 more treason card at the beginning of the game than they would have normally....thus, I would give the MoS 1 treason card at the start of the game.

Full disclosure, not all of my friends agree with my interpretation.

Thanks,
Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Master of Shadows normally starts the game with zero treason cards, but due to the Black Widow will start with 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in my very first play. There was somewhat heated discussion on how it should be resolved. It was not a very enjoyable way to start a first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
This came up in my very first play. There was somewhat heated discussion on how it should be resolved. It was not a very enjoyable way to start a first play.
I actually think it's an advantage for the Master of Shadows to start with Treason cards. That way he can start using his abilities right away. But in the end 1 more Treason card at the start of the game isn't going to hurt you. One more at the end of the game though could be killer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, that's pretty irrelevant if you still don't yet fully grasp the rules & your characters actions, and think you're getting an unjust handicap. I'll try to use that line in the next game though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
True. A lot of people get hung up on the Treason cards. They will spend their turns getting rid of all of them. But you need to remember it's ok to have treason cards. In fact you can have a thick stack of them. You only need to have 1 less treason point than the person with the most and you still have a shot at victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.