Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I will visit Japan later in the year (around October).
My visit will be around a week and planned to visit Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Yokohama. I hope I can visit board games stores while I am at this cities.
Hi,
Do you know a good place to find board games? I prefer local Japan games, not EU or US games. If you guys can help me point out where to find and how to get there, I would very appreciate it.
This would be my first trip to Japan, so please keep in mind that I know nothing about Japan and it's location (and it's language).
Will be visiting there with my wife soon-to-be wife, she's been there once and I would rely on her a lot when travelling there.

So far what I know:

Tokyo:
1. Sugorokuya (Koenji)
2. Shosen Grande in Jimbocho(near Akihabara and Tokyo station)
3. Yellow Submarine (Akihabara/Shinjuku/Ikebukuro)Any detail?
4. Rolle & Roll Station (where?)
5. Shosen Book Tower
6. Yodabashi Camera in Akihabara
7. Tendays in Mitaka

OSAKA:
1. DDT (Yubinbango541-0059, Chuo-ku, Osaka-shi Bakurocho 1-4-10 Estate Bill 902)
2. Kiwi Games
3. Yellow Submarines

KYOTO:
1. Yellow Submarine - Yellow submarine in shijo/sanjo Kawaramachi
2. Yodabashi Camera

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On your list, in Tokyo I visited Sugorokuya, Yellow Submarine and Roll & Role Station. They are all pretty good for Japanese games, I thought the R&R selection was best, then Yellow Submarine, then Sugorokuya. I could not find the YS location in Akihabara, I'm not sure if I had the wrong address, but I had a lot of trouble finding things in general.

In Osaka I went to both DDT and Kiwi Games. I thought Kiwi Games was better than DDT, but both of these were inferior to the stores in Tokyo. I had a really difficult time finding DDT, yet again.

I went to both of the stores you list in Kyoto, Yellow Submarine is way better than Yodobashi for smaller Japanese games. I spent quite a while there looking at all they had on offer.

Don't bother going to Yellow Submarine in Yokohama - it's just CCGs and stuff. Though around the corner from there is a used game store, Recycle Cube. They had a couple interesting things there, though the stock varies, since it is all used stuff.

In general, if you're looking for something from one of the larger Japanese publishers, Yodobashi Camera probably has it. But I would not count on finding any of the more obscure titles there. If you let me know what you're looking for, I may have a general idea of what to expect. I was there in late July. With only a week, your time is going to be very limited, and some of those (like Tendays in Mitaka) are quite out of the way, at least they were for me.

Another thing I would add is that if you see something you want, buy it then. A friend recommended this to me, and I regret not heeding his advice. The variance in price among stores was not that great, and sometimes I thought I would be able to pick it up later easily, and that wasn't always the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathy Calcan
Japan
Yokohama
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mb
Welcome to Japan!

First thing first.
There is a great map maintained by Jon, you should really take a look.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1444254/map-game-shops-and-...

Based on your story...
If you are interested in Japan-local games, and going to Jimbocho area,
you might want to add "Okuno karuta-ten" near Jimbocho.
http://www.okunokaruta.com/english.html
Not far from Shosen Grande bookstore. 5-10 minutes walk I guess.

Role&Roll Station is near the Akihabara station. It's on Jon's map.
Suruga-ya is also near RRS, but that is a second-hand store, so might not be your interest.
Yellow Submarine Akihabara / Yodobashi Akihabara both are walking distance from RRS.

Shosen Booktower...? I don't know if they have boardgames now. I doubt they have, but not sure.
Not so far from Akihabara station so it might be worth taking a look.

For Yellow Submarine Shinjuku/Ikebukuro, it's a smaller shop than YS Akihabara.
There are times where YS Akihabara sold out but YS Shinjuku still has some, but not so common.
So if you have plenty of time then go for it but if not, you may skip those stores, and just see Akihabara.

For Yokohama...
As far as I know, there is Yellow Submarine Yokohama, BoardGameCube, Yodobashi Yokohama.
YS Yokohama is also a small shop, so there is not so much.
BGCube is a second-hand shop. It could be hard to get to the place.
Yodobashi Yokohama, I haven't been there recently, but many Yodobashis sell boardgames so they might have some too.

I don't know about Osaka and Kyoto, I'll leave that to others.

Hope you will have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
Recycle Cube. They had a couple interesting things there, though the stock varies, since it is all used stuff.

Used stuff is okay if still in good conditions. I will put Recycle Cube on my list.

jtakagi wrote:
Another thing I would add is that if you see something you want, buy it then. A friend recommended this to me, and I regret not heeding his advice. The variance in price among stores was not that great, and sometimes I thought I would be able to pick it up later easily, and that wasn't always the case.

Good tip, thanks.

calcan wrote:
Welcome to Japan!

Not yet, but thank you.

calcan wrote:
Based on your story...
If you are interested in Japan-local games, and going to Jimbocho area,
you might want to add "Okuno karuta-ten" near Jimbocho.
http://www.okunokaruta.com/english.html
Not far from Shosen Grande bookstore. 5-10 minutes walk I guess.

I've checked the site, but it's mostly traditional Japanese games, right? And most of them are Japan phrase / word learning games.

calcan wrote:
BGCube is a second-hand shop. It could be hard to get to the place.

How to get there? Anyone can help? Used stuff is okay because some Japanese games are hard to find and out of stock, so getting used stuff is one solution.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruel Gaviola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Dear Spiele in Nakano-Ku, Tokyo. It's a board games cafe where you can play games by the hour and they also have a small selection of games for sale, including some Japanese games.

https://www.facebook.com/dearspiele/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
in Osaka, DDT has mostly imported stuffs and is pretty hard to find. I don't remember how much Japanese stuffs kiwigames has, but yellowsub is good. Though I guess that the selection in Tokyo should be better.

Otherwise, agree with Jonathan for the three Tokyo stores. Shosen Grande is also full of imported stuffs, I can't remember seeing many Japanese games. As for yellowsubmarine in Akihabara, it's on the 6th or 7th floor of its building, if that helps. It says something like there are many RPGs there. Oh, and roll & role is at the 5th or 6th floor if I remember correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what you're looking for, but noticed you had a lot of Oink games on your wishlist. You can find Oink games at nearly every game store. That's one of the things you can find for sure at Yodobashi Camera. I saw all of the ones on your list except for dibdib, which I'm not sure I recommend anyway.

However, you also had Isaribi on there and I'm fairly confident in saying you will not find that anywhere.

I enjoyed playing at Dear Spiele, their collection (to play) is surprisingly eclectic and deep, and the players are friendly. If you're just shopping, I didn't see anything there that you couldn't get elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
I'm not sure what you're looking for, but noticed you had a lot of Oink games on your wishlist. You can find Oink games at nearly every game store. That's one of the things you can find for sure at Yodobashi Camera. I saw all of the ones on your list except for dibdib, which I'm not sure I recommend anyway.

However, you also had Isaribi on there and I'm fairly confident in saying you will not find that anywhere.

I enjoyed playing at Dear Spiele, their collection (to play) is surprisingly eclectic and deep, and the players are friendly. If you're just shopping, I didn't see anything there that you couldn't get elsewhere.

Yeah, nice of you to notice that.
I indeed looking for some Oink games (Twins, Troll, Deep Sea Adventure, Rights, and such) and others game such as Edo Yashiki, Isaribi (which both of these were confirmed by the designer's wife to be out of stock), Mask of Anubis, Gaijin Dash, Word Porters, Dadaocheng, Castle Crush, Scratch House, Vampire Radar, Chocolat, Doggy Go, Matringo, Air Alliance, Tsukimono, Curio Collectors, Village of Familiar, and many more (too many to mention here I guess, or should I make a geeklist)..
If you guys have suggestions, please do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OSAKA Kobe KYOTO Nara BULLET to TOKYO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Oink games (and others) are simply re-issues of Knizia games. Unless you're looking for the specific JP edition, check first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Some Oink games (and others) are simply re-issues of Knizia games. Unless you're looking for the specific JP edition, check first.

Yes, I am looking for the JP edition. They're more artistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said, Isaribi you will not find (though I'd be happy for you to prove me wrong!)

Mask of Anubis should be very easy to find - I saw it in quite a few stores, I bought mine in Sugorokuya. I didn't see Gaijin Dash anywhere, though I'm not sure I recommend that one either. Word Porters was very easy to find, though I do not think that it is English friendly. I got a copy at Tokyo Game Market and they very kindly included English paste-ups for the topic cards. Likewise, Curio Collectors was very common in stores.

I did see Village of Familiar, but didn't consider buying it because it is fairly easy to get in the US. I found one copy of Scratch House (which I bought), so I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I was looking. I was surprised to see Sukimono in quite a few stores, that one is definitely available. I also saw Air Alliance.

I didn't see Dadaocheng or Castle Crush, but since those are Taiwanese, I'm not sure what their availability is in Japan.

Make sure you pick up the new Oink release, Insider, we've had a lot of fun with that one. If you haven't got on the Kickstarter campaign, Yokohama is great and readily available. I love Knizia, and Japan is great for all of the Knizia reissues as well as a couple original releases like Rummy 17. I only saw it in one store, but we have enjoyed Maigo-Neko.

Good luck, and have a great time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OSAKA Kobe KYOTO Nara BULLET to TOKYO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
I was surprised to see Sukimono in quite a few stores, that one is definitely available.

Where please? This Tsukimono ? That's high on my JP wishlist, where did you see it please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
jtakagi wrote:
I was surprised to see Sukimono in quite a few stores, that one is definitely available.

Where please? This Tsukimono ? That's high on my JP wishlist, where did you see it please?

Maybe he meant Sukimono from Masao Suganuma? I have Sukimono.

jtakagi wrote:
Like I said, Isaribi you will not find (though I'd be happy for you to prove me wrong!)

Mask of Anubis should be very easy to find - I saw it in quite a few stores, I bought mine in Sugorokuya. I didn't see Gaijin Dash anywhere, though I'm not sure I recommend that one either. Word Porters was very easy to find, though I do not think that it is English friendly. I got a copy at Tokyo Game Market and they very kindly included English paste-ups for the topic cards. Likewise, Curio Collectors was very common in stores.

I did see Village of Familiar, but didn't consider buying it because it is fairly easy to get in the US. I found one copy of Scratch House (which I bought), so I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I was looking. I was surprised to see Sukimono in quite a few stores, that one is definitely available. I also saw Air Alliance.

I didn't see Dadaocheng or Castle Crush, but since those are Taiwanese, I'm not sure what their availability is in Japan.

Make sure you pick up the new Oink release, Insider, we've had a lot of fun with that one. If you haven't got on the Kickstarter campaign, Yokohama is great and readily available. I love Knizia, and Japan is great for all of the Knizia reissues as well as a couple original releases like Rummy 17. I only saw it in one store, but we have enjoyed Maigo-Neko.

I am not based in US, so any game is hard to get. And for Insider, definitely on my list (it's Oink!) and for Yokohama, I have it already, a kind friend got it for me from TGM. Will definitely check on Maigo Neko. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I did mean Sukimono, not Tsukimono. I didn't see Tsukimono, but I wasn't looking for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Antunes
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week an Isaribi was on an auction... But yes, it's impossible to find in a store (unless you find it used in Boardgame Cube, but I have never seens it, so it's also almost impossible :-P).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
Sorry, I did mean Sukimono, not Tsukimono. I didn't see Tsukimono, but I wasn't looking for it.

For a second I thought it was gonna be a game about pickles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goran Topic
Japan
Kita-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
jtakagi wrote:

For a second I thought it was gonna be a game about pickles.

That's tsukemono. Tsukimono of the game is 憑者, more or less a poltergeist ("that which haunts").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a sizable game collection at shosen grande in Jimbocho, specially wargames by gmt,mmp,columbia games,academy games etc but the prices are even higher than what I would pay in India after shipping and high custom charges
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
nukeu666 wrote:
but the prices are even higher than what I would pay in India after shipping and high custom charges

Yeah, Shosen Grande has a great collection, but I never bought anything there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any info about Tendays in Mitaka? Seems couldn't find it on google.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to find this, which has their address on it.

https://www.facebook.com/Tendays-Games-145242942220286/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cathy Calcan
Japan
Yokohama
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mb
Tendays Games in Mitaka:

Open hours: 12:00 - 20:00 / 12:00 - 18:00 for national holidays
Shop closed on Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays

Website below are both only in JP

(webshop)
TendaysGames
http://shop.tendays.jp/

(route guide)
店舗までの道案内: Daily Life is a game
http://tanakama.seesaa.net/article/159454726.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to Yellow Submarine in Kyoto and then Yelps Submarine in Osaka. The one in Kyoto had a wide variety of games both Japanese and foreign, as well as play space, while the one in Osaka had walls of trading cards and about a dozen board games. I recommend avoiding Yellow Submarine in Osaka unless you want trading cards or models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
TwentySides wrote:
I went to Yellow Submarine in Kyoto and then Yelps Submarine in Osaka. The one in Kyoto had a wide variety of games both Japanese and foreign, as well as play space, while the one in Osaka had walls of trading cards and about a dozen board games. I recommend avoiding Yellow Submarine in Osaka unless you want trading cards or models.

Did you go to the right shop ? The YS in Osaka has plenty of board games at the second floor as well as a play space. There are a bunch of YS shops in the same area, so you need to go to the right one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:

It's the same situation in Tokyo (or was). There are two shops, one of them is specializing on TCG, and the other on board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.