Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear creators,

yesterday the parcel containing three boxes of P:E madness arrived in Austria. I spent some time in the evening to unbox and resort all the items I got... not one piece was missing, good job.

While sorting the card types (merge all characters, all aliens, all bosses, etc.) from the various expansions and KS stretch goals I was wondering how all the material is meant to be mixed.

Sure, the logical thing is to just put everything together and the mission cards indicate that... the adrenaline expansion contains mission cards for the new mission type "Capture" for the two maps of the base game as well.

The first step is straight foward:
* choose map, mission type, difficulty and number of players.
* choose your character(s) from the available selection.

Next I would prepare the various card decks and that is where my mind started wandering...
- Was it the intention to mix all the alien soldier cards together (same with bosses) or is there a recommendation which cards should be put in this deck depending on the map, player count, etc.? I am sure that the way the maps are built will favor one alien type over the other with regards to difficulty.

- Is Calistar (Mega Boss) shuffled into the boss card deck? I assume the players will not be too happy if he arrives as the first boss in any given game and it will ramp up the difficulty dramatically (10 hit points, every player loses one die temporarily).

... the amount of material will allow the composition of different alien decks for each map.

I think pre-built decks would remove the danger of the game getting to generic or repetitive, and if not for the regular game, it would be a great asset for a campaign mode.
I can imagine that it will bring more flavor to a map or scenario if only a limited variety of enemies shows up (only fast movers for a scenario where the enemy tries to overrun an outpost or guardians to protect a strategic position forcing the characters to enter close combat, etc.).

Glad to hear other opinions/proposals.

Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just mixed everything with the same card back.

No issues during gameplay, and having Turtalon appear in the last round made things super exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkPadawan wrote:
- Is Calistar (Super Boss) shuffled into the boss card deck? I assume the players will not be too happy if he arrives as the first boss in any given game and it will ramp up the difficulty dramatically

i think you can do as you like. if you want an "easier" start, just split the boss card deck and mix Calistar into the lower half.
if you're playing with people other than little schoolgirls, take the risk of him being the first boss devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkPadawan wrote:

- Was it the intention to mix all the alien soldier cards together (same with bosses) or is there a recommendation which cards should be put in this deck depending on the map, player count, etc.? I am sure that the way the maps are built will favor one alien type over the other with regards to difficulty.
- Is Calistar (Super Boss) shuffled into the boss card deck? I assume the players will not be too happy if he arrives as the first boss in any given game and it will ramp up the difficulty dramatically (10 hit points, every player loses one die temporarily).

You can mix them any way you like without any problem. The only thing to consider is the difficulty you prefer.
I would suggest to first time players, to use to basic game without special soldiers or mega bosses, until they become more experienced.

DarkPadawan wrote:

it would be a great asset for a campaign mode.

That's something we're working on. There will be news on this soon. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
I mixed everything together as well... worked without problem (although we kept the hands from the char with the robot. Played the game a few times now and still don´t feel comfortable enough to be effective with it )
I guess when you are bored with the randomness you could build a deck that´s only one or two types of aliens... but I don´t see that for me yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.