6 Posts

Clash of Cultures» Forums » General

Subject: What's your favorite opening move? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Had my first game the other day, and really enjoyed it.

The game has an interesting puzzle when it comes to move efficiency: you need large cities to make efficient Collections, but you need more cities to make bigger cities and perform more Collections per turn, but you need Advances to make bigger cities.

What's your favorite way of starting off the game? It seems to me a good idea to get a Happy city ASAP, just because a level 1 city is cheaper to make happy, and thus start making more efficient Collections, which requires you to buy a yellow Advance first. On the other hand, if you make a second Settler, you can then move both at the same time, setting yourself up for more Collections per turn and having larger cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 1, I always discover Irrigation (gain a happiness token), make my city happy, then collect 2 food.

Turn 2, I build a second settler, then spend 2 actions exploring my surroundings.

Turn 3 onwards, things get interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive played this game many times. As the above post states, the opening can feel scripted. What I've found helps with getting to the juicy stuff faster is playing with the short game setup listed in the rules. Each player starts with two settlers and a happy city at the beginning of the game. I feel like this setup leads to a much more interesting beginning game. Also, I haven't seen it throw off the balance of the long game in any way. Hope you enjoy this great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are generally 2 types of opening turn, the Safe Open and the Baller Open.

The Safe Open goes:
1: Advance Yellow Tech [Irrigation unless you have a coastal civ, in which you take fishing]
2: Civic Improvement to make City Happy with the Mood Token
3: Collect 2 Food

The Baller Open goes:
1: Build Settler
2: Move both settlers [if playing Civs, move your leader first for bonus information]
3: Move both settlers again [ideally into spaces you want cities]
Turn 2
1: Found Settlement
2: Found Settlement
3: Collect 1 Food
Turn 3
1: Collect 1 Food
2: Advance Yellow Tech
3: Collect 1 Food
Status Phase, choose another yellow tech as your free one
You are now free to make two cities happy with one Civic Improvement action, or get another food and advance [pray you don't get attacked by Barbarians from the event trigger] and then make all 3 happy in one go.

The Baller Open is high-risk high-reward; If it goes off uninterrupted, you'll be ahead of players using the Safe Open. Awkward placement of water and mountain tiles however can wreck your opening turn completely and instead put you behind the Safe Openers.

Certain Civilizations and leaders have abilities that put twists on either type of open, so if you can find that prized possession that is the expansion, it's definitely worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would take a very peculiar context (e.g. great person available) for me to break from the irrigation/happiness/collect 2 food. I think I have done it but only maybe once after my initial learning period with the game?

Never played with the quick start setup but I suppose I should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Voodoo Chile
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Turn 1: Myths, Happy, Collect

It's like the irrigation opening, except I'm rushing to get state religion and dogma. I want cheap temples that fill out my government tree. Then I often switch over to Democracy (but not always).

I also like the taxation opening a lot. I like that it feels like almost nothing can interfere with your plan

With civilizations, I think I like playing Babylon the most. 1) Mathematics, Engineering (Canals), collect 2 food.

I'm on the lookout for a good aggressive opening with a mind to go autocracy early. If anyone has any good ideas, I'd love to hear them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.