8 Posts

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Vanhulsel
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is this game any fun to play solo? I was thinking about maybe playing it two-handed... would this be possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can. You play 1-5 characters and the other 4 make up the character deck that you purchase cards from. Whatever main 1-5 characters you play, you're able to use their special abilities via talent cards. Playing 2-handed means you'll have access to two special abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a fully co-op game, which IMO lends itself quite well to solo play.

And while it is possible to play truly solo (1 avatar, 1 player deck, 4 non-player "main characters"), I personally find it more fun to play two-handed (or three, or four, or five), where you control multiple avatars (each with their own player decks). This allows you to fully utilize the "Coordinate" ability on some cards, which is a fun part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo Marvel Legendary with 3 hands a lot and love it.

I have tried Firefly solo a few times with different episodes and have not found that love yet. I have tried it true solo and managing 3-4 hands. Perhaps the problem is that I'm not used to the mechanics, but it seems more cumbersome than Marvel. I try to remember to keep checking the other hands for Coordinate and have trouble remembering Ship Strikes and Crew Strikes. Basically, I get too overwhelmed. Neither of these were issues with more actual people. I'll try it again in the future, but for now, I have put it back on the shelf to play with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it solo exclusively, always 2 handed, and I've really enjoyed it, especially the extended campaign mode. I find the story each Episode tells to be very immersive, but I'm a fan of the TV show.

If I compare it to my other favourite solo deck builder, Shadowrun Crossfire, I would say that Firefly tells a better story, but the game is a little less tactical and more luck-dependent than Shadowrun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Christianv wrote:
If I compare it to my other favourite solo deck builder, Shadowrun Crossfire, I would say that Firefly tells a better story, but the game is a little less tactical and more luck-dependent than Shadowrun.

LE: Firefly definitely has a luck factor. In some episodes (especially the A eps of games), if the episode cards come out in the wrong order, you can be hard pressed to get by, no matter how good your tactics are.

The luck factor can be mitigated to some extent in later episodes (and in later games if doing a campaign) because your tactical strategy has a chance to take effect, and if you're fortunate enough to get (and keep) certain ship upgrades they can definitely improve your abilities. But sometimes it still comes down to getting (or avoiding) the right cards at the right times.

This applies to the game in general, whether it is solo or group play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexanderVanhulsel wrote:
Is this game any fun to play solo? I was thinking about maybe playing it two-handed... would this be possible?

Hi Alexander.

1. Yes it's possible
2. It's great fun with 2 characters
3. It's easy to sort, follow and coordinate
4. The game gets very immersive
5. Go and play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Vanhulsel
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks everyone! Most likely I will buy it next time I visit my FLGS. I play a LOT of Lord of the Rings LCG solo, but sometimes I feel the need to play some other solo game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.