$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 81.39

5,443 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.3% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Game Crop
msg tools
Please confirm this for me: When using Wings of Wind during the day, will your "flying" movement next to mage towers/keeps/cities reveal the enemy token(s) as it would with normal movement? I am inclined to say yes, since thematically you are "flying" next to the space & could see into the fortification. But it could be interpreted that you are not actually occupying any space until you reach your destination, and therefore the enemy tokens would not be revealed. Thanks for your help.

Wings of Wind card text: When you play this, spend 1-5 Move points and move one revealed space on the map for each. You must end your move in a safe space. Moving this way does not provoke rampaging enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gut feeling was Yes, it does reveal the occupants of a location as with normal movement, as it doesn't specifically say that it doesn't. I would be interested to know if there has been any official response or discussion though.

Interestingly the card 'underground travel' has a very similar text, so I would assume the same applies, but thematically it makes a lot less sense

Quote:
(Move by up to 3 revealed spaces on the map. You may not move to or through swamps or lakes this way, and you must end your move on a safe space. Moving this way does not provoke rampaging enemies)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it would do everything that a normal move does except for provoking enemies as specified. It doesn't say that you are moving directly to a space 1-5 away thus not passing the spaces in between. The card calls it moving, specifying that you are moving one space at a time. At least that's how I read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Crop
msg tools
To be devil's advocate, I would argue that it doesn't work like normal movement because it allows you pass through (presumably fly over) mountains, lakes, & fortified sites. Normal movement doesn't allow for this. Therefore it begs the question: Are you actually occupying the spaces as you travel, or just flying over them? And if you don't occupy the spaces, then can you actually be adjacent to fortified sites such as mage towers, etc. as you travel?

I appreciate the responses. I am hoping to find an official ruling from PaulGrogen, but haven't been able to find anything in my searches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whatever the answer is, I would hope that it's consistent across all of these similar abilities.
* Goldyx Flight Skill
* Wings of Wind
* Underground Travel
* Time/Space Bending? (maybe not?)

My initial instinct is that it doesn't reveal anything on the intermediate spaces, and essentially works like a 'Teleport' from one space to another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Crop
msg tools
Yes, I would think the answer for revealing fortified enemies with Wings of Wind should be the same as for the Goldyx Flight Skill.

Underground Travel is interesting. Thematically, it doesn't make much sense that you should be able reveal an enemy while you're underground. But the wording on the card is very similar to Wings of Wind, so technically Underground Travel should probably have the same answer for revealing fortified enemies.

As for Space Bending, this seems more like regular movement except you are leaping over spaces. So I would say if any of the spaces you land on (but not the ones you leap over) are adjacent to a fortified site, then yes, you would reveal the enemy. This assumes, of course, that it is daytime.

For reference...

Goldyx Flight Skill: Flip this to move to an adjacent space for free, or to move two spaces for 2 Move points. You must end this move in a safe space. This move does not provoke rampaging enemies.

Underground Travel: Move by up to 3 revealed spaces on the map. You may not move to or through swamps or lakes this way, and you must end your move on a safe space. Moving this way does not provoke rampaging enemies.

Space Bending: This turn, you may move to spaces and explore new tiles that are 2 spaces away from you as if they were adjacent. Ignore any spaces you leap over this way. Your movement does not provoke rampaging enemies this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd say that the only criteria to reveal is being adjacent. The fact every card states Explicitly that you don't provoke rampaging enemies makes me think you're actually moving (with a different cost) with all the revealing considerations.

Also: I assault a city next to a keep from the opposite side. Can I reveal that keep immediately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Going by the rulebook, when you assault a fortified site (ie. city) you physically move to that space. As a result I don't see why you wouldn't reveal any hidden stuff adjacent to the city since you're physically in the city space.

For source, you could check this passage from Movement 4a on page 6:

Quote:
Entering a space with an unconquered fortified site (keep, mage tower, or city), or with a keep owned by another player immediately ends your movement, and is considered to be an assault on that site
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hum. Now I've got a keep in my way and it's a night round. I guess that's pretty much the definition of unrevealed and I can't fly over it.

Unless the rules meant revealed as in "in a explored tile". Yes, it makes little sense. But now I realise I could never use wings of wind over an unrevealed ruin either, even if it was during day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
Hum. Now I've got a keep in my way and it's a night round. I guess that's pretty much the definition of unrevealed and I can't fly over it.

Unless the rules meant revealed as in "in a explored tile". Yes, it makes little sense. But now I realise I could never use wings of wind over an unrevealed ruin either, even if it was during day.

Of course revealed space means explored tiles. Tiles, not tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I meant "tile" as the whole tile with several hexes. the rulebook refers to a single hex as an space a few times in the movement section. And the location cards use specifically the word reveal. I'd say that makes a fortified site (or ruins) an unrevealed space, almost literally.

Of course I may be wrong, and that makes wind of wing a bit more convoluted thatv it should be, but if I go RAW I think it could be ruled that way. Maybe there's some answer in the FAQ thread, but that one it's hard to search and I haven't found it yet.

EDIT: it's as Ben says. the location cards -and the movement rules- actually say that the space counts as revealed as soon as the tile is explored. The token is another thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.