Hide
5 Posts

Food Chain Magnate» Forums » Rules

Subject: Training a higher level employee if the base card is unavailable. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
martin f
msg tools
FCM rulebook states: You cannot train to a position if the final card is not available in the stock. However, if you train multiple steps or hire and immediately train a person, the intermediate cards do not have to be available.

A recent game on boardgamecore has made me question my understanding of this rule.

In a two person game, we had a map with only one lemonade stop. My opponent had to fire most of his employees and kept the zeppelin pilot as his only drink employee. He had no +1 errand boy milestone, so his total drink production was limited to 2 lemonades max per turn. I decided to use this situation to my advantage, or so I thought.

I used the 5-space radio to advertise to 6 of 7 houses on the board, trained a luxury manager, and hired the remaining supply of errand boys down to zero. My plan was to overcharge to the 4 houses my opponent could not supply to due to lack of lemonade, and close out the game in two turns. This entire strategy hinged on my understanding that he was unable to increase his drink production as long as the errand boy supply remained zero.

However, on the very next turn he was able to train up a truck driver, which destroyed my plan completely.

"Intermediate" is defined as coming between two things in place, time, etc. So I understood the rule to mean that you could skip cart operator if you trained an errand boy to truck driver, but you still had to have the errand boy to start. Is my understanding incorrect, or is this a mistake in boardgamecore's programming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook, page 7:

Quote:
If a certain deck runs out of cards, you may no longer hire that type of employee until cards become available again. However, you may hire such a card if you immediately train it to a higher level in the training sub-phase of this turn (so you don’t actually have to take the card).

So you can "hire" errand boys, even if the errand boy deck is empty, so long as you immediately train up those virtual errand boys.

Sorry, your friend won fair and square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Marx
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martinfer wrote:
"Intermediate" is defined as coming between two things in place, time, etc.

In this case the two things in question are having nothing and having a truck driver. Everything in between (Errand Boy, Cart Operator) is "intermediate."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin f
msg tools
Thank you for pointing out my mistake in reading the rules-- I was looking for answers in the wrong section!

Fortunately, I was able to win the game anyway by switching gears, but that errand boy fiasco was still an unwelcome shock, not to mention a colossal waste of hiring capacity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
martinfer wrote:
Thank you for pointing out my mistake in reading the rules-- I was looking for answers in the wrong section!

Fortunately, I was able to win the game anyway by switching gears, but that errand boy fiasco was still an unwelcome shock, not to mention a colossal waste of hiring capacity.

No problem, we've all been there. But congrats on turning the game around for the win regardless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.