Subject: Mage Knight or WoW ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jan hendrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello All,

Ok, i wont beat around the bush, i know there is a huge amount of you out there who probably Adore Mage Knight more than any other game. I still have a personal issue wich in you fellow board gamers can help me with.

The issue i have is to choose (budget wise) between 2 games at the moment for (99% time) solo play.

* World of Warcraft the board game
* Mage Knight

Now i see you thinking as a board game geeker, *well this isnt really a hard choice, why bother??
Well ill tell you !! i am a Humongous (did i spell that wrong?) world of warcraft fanboy ! i played the game (mostly questing instead of raiding etc) for a few years, untill the Warlords of Draenor, after that i stopped. I am though looking for a solo game to play, wich gives me the opportunity to level up, quest/mission, and so forth.

In world of warcraft (with some shiny BGG support on solo rules) i see that happen, although i have never played it! and since its not really : walk to the store and get it : kind of game, i wanted to share my thoughts here.

Next to that i looked into ....MAGE KNIGHT!, assumed to be THE solo board game, although... i know 0 about it! ive seen a movie or 2, read 1 or 2 pages of the rules. And thats it!
Now why do i ask you this question ? cause i really wanna know the following.

For me as a "starter solo board gamer" is it really worth getting WoW the board game , to roll solo on it, and expect it to give me the PC game feel (though in board, mini's, dice) and feel like im really improving my character(s) etcetera!

Or should i totally skip that one and go for mage knight, knowning that i have just a tiny clue what its about, knowning 0 rules except the hand management and day/night tracker? and NOT having the *fanboy* / Theme part of the WOW board game wich i really really (think) ill like !

Both of them are bigg (long?) board games! both of them are kinda high on the list but WOW is only high on the people who are fanboys like me it seems. and Both seem to have the progression i am looking for in a game.

So, after reading this ... maybe you can help a poor man stuck with its thoughts out and push me in the direction I SHOULD go.

Thank you ! very very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricky Royal has complete playthroughs of MK. WoW is listed at playing with 2-6 with the recommended number of players being higher. MK really is best 1-2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan hendrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for your reply, will look into ricky's movies. I really like his Movies so good advice!!

I know world of Warcraft'isnt a real solo Game i do see allot of (Old) poats about timing it with houseruls to a solo Game. And the character develepment really really is stunning as dat as i can Tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
If you aren't a huge gamer and love the lore WOW:TBG is a decent romp. I owned it briefly (played a lot of vanilla and WOTLK WOW) and enjoyed it, but it wasn't something I was going to bring out all the time.

WOW:TBG did a good job with character progression and dice management. Each class felt a bit different and it has all the skills you know and love. At the end of the day though it was really roll some dice, use various skills to modify them, and see whether you or the monster dies. Do so efficiently and you can take on one of the big bosses like KT.

If you are in it for the theme alone and enjoy classic games which are basically dice chucker (e.g. Risk) it works pretty well. Solo it will require a lot of bookkeeping though as you keep track of quests, bring out monsters, level your characters up, etc. all solo.

If you are looking more for a gamer's game with longer term strategic depth, MK might be the way to go (though I'll admit I haven't played it).

If you are unsure...wait around and see if you can get WOW:TBG for cheap on ebay as is sometimes the case...then get MK too .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan hendrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@ Chris CS,

thank you, nice point of view. The point you talk about of *knowning all the spells and things you love* is really the biggest thing that pulled me to WoW:TBG. Every little piece on the map, every item etc is something you know from the PC Game. Something wich gives me the feel im playing something familiar.

The bookkeeping you are talking about, isnt that just a small part?
I mean you get the tracker of XP on the board, you get cards for Quests, and in the steps you decide when to shop / learn spells etc. So i was kinda thinking this would lead me trought it fairly simple. I could be wrong though.
I read someone comparing it to Risk earlier, though to be really honost, idont really mind that. Since im not a full-time board gamer, i just love to sit down 4-6 hours a week, and have some fun (+works kinda relaxing for me).

Thanks again for your repsonse, i was thinking the same of buying WOW since its available around here now for a ok price, and i dont really see Mage Knight leaving the market any time soon since its huge love from the players.

cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.