42% of Goal | left

Support:

Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine grabbed this on behalf of me at GenCon. When he delivered it he said "When you said it was an expansion I thought it would be a tiny box. But WOOF!". Yeah, it's an expansion, but it's a big box expansion with a similar box size to Cynder. Let's see what new dangers await inside.

Trederra is a war-torn world, think WWI trench warfare, and it brings a lot of new stuff.

* Wandering patrols - In the mines if it took you awhile to find your Objective, you only had to battle the Encounters and the Evil brought about by Darkness and Growing Dread. On Trederra we get Wandering Patrols. Whenever a Hold Back the Darkness roll is failed, a Patrol marker is placed near the Depth Track, then you roll 2D6 (called a Discovery Roll, which IS Gritable. If the Hero making the roll has Keyword Scoout, they roll 3D6 and discard the lowest). If the result is lower than the number of heroes in the Posse + the number of Patrol markers, you have been discovered. You draw a Trederra Otherworld Threat as an Ambush attack.

Thematically, this is great. Smaller posses have less chance of being discovered. A Scout knows how to maneuver quietly, making it harder to be spotted. The more patrols in the area, the more likely you'll bump into them.

* Battlefield Scavenge - Trederra is a battlefield, so there are different items and dangers associated with picking through the rubble. Each Trederra tile can be scavenged 3 times.

* New types of spaces - Not unlike Cynder with its lava spaces, Trederra as Radioactive spaces marked with 1-3 icons. When a Hero enters or starts on a Radioactive space, they take 1 Corruption Hit. Yeah, there's a lot of Darkstone danger around here and ya'll better be ready to handle those mutations.

Tiles also have up to 6 Cover Terrain Icons on the lines between spaces. Map Cards indicate how many Cover Terrain pieces should be added. Roll a D6 for each piece and place it on that numbered space. Cover is a little bit different than in the Frontier Town. The Cover piece provides cover slightly larger than just space to space. Imagine a 2x3 grid of spaces with the Cover on the line in the middle, between C & D

AB
CD
EF

All six of these spaces are considered adjacent and benefit from the cover. If a figure is adjacent to the Cover, they get a 4+ roll to save against being hit by any shot not originating adjacent to the cover. If they are not adjacent, it is a 5+ save (called an Obstructed Shot). If the attacker is adjacent to the cover, no save throw is made.

* New markers - Shatter Grenades are a new item to put in your sidebag. They are thrown like Dynamite. Any model hit by a Shatter gets D3 wounds ignoring Defense and a Stunned token making them -1 Defense (no matter how many markers they have). At the start of an activation a model removes 1 Stunned marker on a roll of 4+.

There are also Anti-Rad kits you can discard to remove D6 Corruption.

* Lieutenants - Leaders on this world, they come in three types. On a roll of 3+ each turn they will draw a card from the Battlefield Orders deck and if their type is matched by any icons on the card, that card takes effect. Lieutenants can also be Field Marshalls which upgrades them so they always issue Battlefield Orders, have more Health and come with custom weapons.

* Weapons of War - Yeah, our Cowboys are fighting folks with advanced weaponry so just to ramp thing up a bit, FFP gives them even MORE advanced weaponry. Ya know, thing like flamethrowers and cannons. A Weapons of War replaces the normal Carbine and Shatter Grenades the Trederran Legionnaires come with but it doubles that models health, makes them immune to crits and changes their XP to 10+5. These weapons can be pretty powerful, drawing a bead on their targets using a template and thereby impacting several adjacent spaces. Some of then Weapons of War are so big they are assigned to two models. These cannot be moved, don't have Cooldown (unless they lose a model manning them) and have 180 degrees firing arc. If there are no targets within line of sight, the weapon will rotate 90 degrees to find a new target.

On the plus side, for the posse, weapons this powerful cannot be used non-stop but get a Cooldown marker after use. The next time they would be fired, the Cooldown marker is removed instead.

* Toxic Clouds - These markers represent the poisonous gases drifting across the landscape. At the start of a turn, the posse will roll a D6 (un-Gritable) to see how the clouds drift. The markers can stack up to three deep on a space but when they drift, only one marker will drift. The drift will always be towards the Mine Entrance. Of course, contact with these clouds results in gaining a poison marker.

I really enjoy the changing shape idea of the clouds and that they can actually dissipate altogether.

* Land Mines - When a Map card indicates Land Mines are needed all 36 Land Mine tokens are mixed and placed on the tile. Some of these are labeled Clear and other have a skull & crossbones on them. When a Hero enters a space with a face down marker they make a Luck 5+ roll. After the roll the Hero can spend any unused Movement Points to add extra dice to the roll (1 for 1). If the test is passed, the token stay face down. If failed, the token is flipped. All Clear indicates the token is removed. A skull & crossbones indicates an explosion, dealing D6 wounds ignoring defense to that space and every adjacent model. You then roll a D6 for each adjacent marker and they are revealed on a 1 or 2, so you could have a cascading explosion effect across a mine field.

* Acid Rain - You can also encounter Acid Rain via Encounters. Interior tiles allow the posse to avoid the impact of the rain.

* Missions - Of course, there are six new missions that weave a nice storyline if taken in order. The rule book has a typo on page 8, naming these as Caverns of Cynder Missions (WHOOPS, just another in a long line of typos in the rulebooks)

1: Foothold - Miners have discovered an advance group of Trederrans soldier setting up for invasion of Earth. The Posse must find the staging area for the invasion, stumbling across various rooms of weaponry or traps along the way. Failing to defeat an Epic Threat results in Corruption and the loss of a nearby town, thrusting the posse straight into the next adventure.

2: Toxic Purge - The posse must locate the cause of the toxic clouds of gas belching forth from the mines and destroy both Toxic Gas Generators using a Skill 6+ (of their choice) eventually doing Posse Level +2 per Hero damage (a 4 person posse at Level 5 requires 13 damage. 5 + (2x4)). Failure results in a random building destroyed in town and more travel hazards while traveling on the next trip to town.

3: Battlefield Recon - Basically an exploration mission looking for two clue icons in Trederra. Failure results in the posse being scattered and suffering Madness. I have developed an additional mission to reunite the posse. Together Again

4: Front Lines - The posse is trapped between warring factions. Various battlefield events erupt all around the posse. The posse gets extra loot during the mission and Clue icons move the Posse marker further down the track. Once it hits 10 or lower and there are no enemies, the mission is complete. Failure results in Madness.

5: Guns of War - The Posse have to locate and destroy two Large Guns with found Thermal Charges. Failure results in Corruption Hits.

6: Doomsday - The Trderrans are making plans to destroy another world (randomly chosen) and the posse have to locate the Doomsday Device. This horrible device is immune to ranged Crits and has health 10x Posse level +3 per hero (using the posse from an earlier example, 62 health). The posse can take a lot of Corruption trying to disable this machine. Failure closes all gates to the target world for 3 adventures. Just imagine if the target world is OURS!!! No Town visits for three adventures could be a death knell for some groups. (I love it!)

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the enemies, all of which present ranged attacks, the tiles with new space types, and the missions. Trederra looks like it can be a dangerous, dangerous place. There are only a few normal threat cards so you won't be encountering a lot of Trederrans in the mines on a regular mission but that's good, because I think these guys can be pretty brutal even on their non-Brutal side.

For the money (which is about $80 retail) you get a really good bang for your buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the summary! I'm a little scared at what looks like more markers, more dice rolling, and more little rules to remember. Hoping the variety and tactical options are worth it though. Looking forward to some session reports that will give a sense of how smoothly these extra systems integrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, now that's an Otherworld! So much more design and enemy types then we got in Cynder. Just have to wait for Wave 2 to ship. Looking forward to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Kossack
United States
New York
flag msg tools
That's a pretty great review! Can you break down the bonuses for the six factions? The backstories for all six are posted by Flying Frog, but they've only listed bonuses for two factions: The Union (which is the default enemy with no bonus), and The Core (which gives extra defense, rad poison effect from Shatter Grenades, and +10 XP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played last night, chasing after the Scafford gang. The first portal we went through landed us in Trederra (YAY!) with only another portal as our way out (BOO!) BUT with an Encounter (YAY!) which was only wafting Poison Gas (not a Toxic Cloud (BOO!). So we only saw one tile of Trederra and then onward to Targa.

Play-wise it sucked, but thematically it was perfect. Our posse stumbles onto another world. We don't encounter anyone, we hear gunfire in the distance, encounter metal barrels and crates, sniff some obnoxious odor, and then we move on. I loved it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaddKossack115 wrote:
That's a pretty great review! Can you break down the bonuses for the six factions? The backstories for all six are posted by Flying Frog, but they've only listed bonuses for two factions: The Union (which is the default enemy with no bonus), and The Core (which gives extra defense, rad poison effect from Shatter Grenades, and +10 XP).

Union - No Bonus

Kharkarus Konfederacy - Trederrans ar -1 on To Hit rolls. At end of turn if any Trederrans are on the board add D6-3 Legionnaires as an Ambush

Republic of Tar-Kon - Xp +10. Trederrans are +2 Damage on all attacks

The Core - Trederrans are +1 Defense. Shatter Grenades leave a radiation marker where they land. XP +10

Royal Foundry - Any Threat card that adds Trederrans adds an extra D6-3 Mutants as well. Legionnairs automatically pass checks to see if they have Weapons of War.

Liberation Army - Trederrans are -1 Defense & +3 Health. Assault replaces Shootout. Shatter Grenades leave a Toxic Cloud marker where they land.

I really enjoy the backstories of these factions. Based on their names, color scheme, and icon they remind me of the Union (Civil War), Confederacy, Nazis, Japanese, Soviets, and Al-Queda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Kossack
United States
New York
flag msg tools
okiedokie wrote:

I really enjoy the backstories of these factions. Based on their names, color scheme, and icon they remind me of the Union (Civil War), Confederacy, Nazis, Japanese, Soviets, and Al-Queda.

Actually, I think the Union is basically WWI-WWII-Cold War-Modern America (democratizing and capitalizing the world), and I don't see the Civil War Confederacy anywhere - the Kharkarus Konfederacy are more like the Soviets (anti-monarchy revolution, all men and women equal without a "true ruler"), and the Royal Forge doesn't seem like a Confederacy either (although they're the hardest to actually peg with a "real nation", with the closest being either Great Britain (relatively small, but technologically advanced), or "neutral" countries like Switzerland, the Scandinavian countries, etc.). The Tar-Kon=Nazis, Core=Japanese, and Liberation Army=Al-Qaeda are spot-on (although the LA also has shades of ISIS, other Islamic Fundamentalist terrorists or armies like Hamas and Hezbollah, and a heavy shading of the Arabs who revolted against the Ottoman Empire in WWI - think "Lawrence of Arabia" in that case)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the details on the factions. Just like they did with the serpentmen! I suppose for those heavy into painting you could buy 5 more serpentmen packs and paint them those color schemes. But it would be really expensive to do that for this expansion. I suppose it's possible they might sell the minis separately in their webstore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I equated the name 'Kondeferacy' with Confederacy.

Since the Royal Foundry had a large 'accident' with their Darkstone power resource which I drew a parallel with Cherynobl (Soviets)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Kossack
United States
New York
flag msg tools
okiedokie wrote:
I equated the name 'Kondeferacy' with Confederacy.

Since the Royal Foundry had a large 'accident' with their Darkstone power resource which I drew a parallel with Cherynobl (Soviets)

Well, here's a quote about the Konfederacy (Soviets): "Once the largest industrial Nation on Trederra, ruled over by an aging monarchy, the down-trodden and tireless masses broke free of their shackles of oppression, overthrowing their king and burning his palace (anti-king/Tsar revolution by popular revolt). From the ashes of corruption grew the Konfederacy of United Workers, a People’s Nation guided by the tenants of the newly minted Kharkarus Accord, ensuring that all men and women of the new order would be equals. Adopting the “Elevated Man” as their flag, they now fight not for a ruler, but for themselves (fighting for communist ideal that all are given equal power, rather than stuck in a hierarchy system of despotism, monarchism, fascism, or capitalism). Though the Konfederacy does not have the level of training or experience that most other Nations do, they do have virtually unlimited raw resources, and a massive populace to draw on for their armies (poorly trained but massively numbered)."

And here's one on the Royal Forge (Great Britain, or other "small but heavily armed countries", like perhaps Switzerland): "A smaller Nation, The Royal Foundry is also one of the oldest (a small country, like the British Isles, but being older than the others)... As the first Nation to create Dark Stone weapons, they have also become Trederra’s most polluted country, home to more mutants than any other Nation (first to industrialize, like Great Britain, and also dealing with pollution problems, like Britain in Victorian times)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB13 KB13
msg tools
Been looking through some preview video's of this set.
As it will take some time before mine will arrive here, I have some small questions.

- Anybody already played with it, do you think you might want more normal Legionaires?

- I've seen a command card with the Threat cards. I guess it calls for an Officer, but does it also spawn more troops?

- What's the Epic Threat that comes with this set?

- could anybody list the "weapons of war" the Tederrans can come equiped with? Just simple discriptions to give an idea what kind of conversion I could make would be enough
(So, Heavy machine gun for 2 models, grenade launcher for 1 model)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Tibbitts
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Lieutenants can also be Field Marshalls which upgrades them so they always issue Battlefield Orders, have more Health and come with custom weapons.

I have a feeling I know what the next Resin Special Enemy is going to be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KB13 wrote:

- Anybody already played with it, do you think you might want more normal Legionaires?

Haven't played a Trederra scenario yet.

KB13 wrote:
- I've seen a command card with the Threat cards. I guess it calls for an Officer, but does it also spawn more troops?

The Trederran Threat card entitled 'Trederran Command' spawns Lieutenant and various troops.

KB13 wrote:
- What's the Epic Threat that comes with this set?

* 6 Trederran Legionnaires w 2 weapons of war & 3 Grenadiers
* Field Marshall + Trederra Threat/ legionnaires
* Field Marshall + legionnaires and grenadiers

KB13 wrote:
- could anybody list the "weapons of war" the Tederrans can come equiped with? Just simple discriptions to give an idea what kind of conversion I could make would be enough
(So, Heavy machine gun for 2 models, grenade launcher for 1 model)?

A forcefield generator
Heavy Machine Gun for 2 models
Dark Stone Laser Blaster for 2 models
XN Banshee Shockwave Gun
K1 Dragon Firethower
Frag Launcher
DSC-4 Light Machine Gun
T-9 Radio Transmitter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB13 KB13
msg tools
Thanks for the info Dwayne (including the original post).
Looking forward to this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaddKossack115 wrote:
And here's one on the Royal Forge (Great Britain, or other "small but heavily armed countries", like perhaps Switzerland): "A smaller Nation, The Royal Foundry is also one of the oldest (a small country, like the British Isles, but being older than the others)... As the first Nation to create Dark Stone weapons, they have also become Trederra’s most polluted country, home to more mutants than any other Nation

As an ex-pat i can heartily endorse that I am indeed heavily mutated and prone to pollution (of the immediate air-space)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.