Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The D7 Klingon Battlercruiser Gr’oth is the D7 battlecruiser from the infamous Trouble With Tribbles episode of The Original Series. It should be noted that the D7 cruiser in that episode was not named until the Deep Space Nine episode Trials and Tribble-ations but it is still the same ship. The D7 was also a staple enemy in the original series. Costing $15 and coming with the ship, base and stand, 5 token sheets, and 12 cards. Is it worth the cost, or are you going to be drowned in tribbles?

Here is a picture of the ship thanks to gladpanda. Apparently the ship has an issue with its bridge and it is off center.

The Gr’oth has a slight metallic green tinge, similar to the paint jobs of Klingon ships in Deep Space Nine, and costs 18 points. The named ability is that each time you defend against an enemy at range 1 you roll one extra defense die. This evens you with the +1 attack die they get but is nothing crazy. It has 3 attack, 1 evade, 3 hull, and 2 shields, with the evade, target lock, and battlestations actions and 1 tech, 1 crew, and 1 weapons upgrade. The generic version costs 16 points, loses 1 shield and the tech upgrade. It has a versatile maneuver dial, with straights at 1-4 (1-2 green), banks at 1-3 (1-2 green), turns at 2-3, and a red comeabout at 3. While she won’t last too long in a close range fire fight, the Gr’oth is great for slash and run maneuvers. It’s low cost and rapid turning radius let you keep the 90 degree forward firing arc pointed at your enemy and keep on firing, especially if you can get in behind them or from the side. Don’t expect it to last long against heavier hitters like the Enterprise-E, the Negh’var, or the Borg, but you can easily make a fleet of 5 generics for 80 points and throw in some upgrades or a bigger ship with a better captain and still be below the 120 point threshold. They can screen well, and do hit for serious damage for their point value. This is a good swarm ship, but only if you play your cards right. The Klingons don’t have good swarm cards yet, so all you’re really doing is running screen for a more powerful capital ship and hoping to deal some damage before you go down in flames.

It comes with 3 captains (1 generic). Koloth has 7 initiative, costs 4 points, has an elite talent slot, and lets you force an enemy ship to reroll 1 attack die whenever you are attacked. Not a crazy ability, it does help keep your ship alive and can keep that critical hit from getting through. He is nicer since he is a higher initiative Klingon captain, but I don’t use him that often since I usually put my points into better, more useful captains for my capital ships and dump a cheap captain onto my smaller ships.

Krell costs 2 points and has 4 initiative. He lets your re-roll a battlestations results when you are attacking. Since most Klingon ships don’t have a battlestations action, that is useful because those dice are like blanks to them. The Gr’oth does, so he’s not great on this ship. As a cheap captain he can easily pilot a secondary ship and try to get an extra damage on an enemy each time you attack. I wouldn’t put him on a heavy hitter, but a cheaper 20ish point ship is great for him to command.

There are 2 crew upgrades. One of them is Korax. He costs 3 points and for an action if you are not cloaked you can disable all of your remaining shields to target a ship at range 1-2 that is not cloaked and has no active shields to discard Korax and up to 2 crew upgrades on that ship. Let’s be real here- this is an incredibly restrictive card that REALLY will almost never happen. I’d rather go for the battlestations or scan action over this. He kind of works on the Gr’oth since it basically has no shields, but on a bigger Klingon ship he’s a no go. It’s also so conditional. If a ship has no shields, unless it is running some insanely crazy crew build, I’m just going to shoot at it and blow it out of the water, not waste my action to discard the crew when blowing up the ship does the exact same thing. He’s a stay in the box guy for sure.

The other crew upgrade is an Independent Upgrade called Cyrano Jones. Yep! Tribbles! He costs 3 points and lets you start the game with a tribble token beside your ship. Tribbles have their own rules card and do the following. This applies to all ships that have at least 1 tribble token on them.

1) Add 1 additional tribble token at the end phase.
2) If your ship has 1-3 tribbles, you get +1 attack die and +1 defense die whenever you attack or defend. Ignore this if your ship includes any Klingon captains or crew.
3) If you have 4-5 tribble tokens they don’t do anything.
4) If you have 6+ tribble tokens you roll 1 less attack die and 1 less defense die whenever you are attacked or attack. This is doubled if you have any Klingon crew/captains.

Your ship gains the following action: If you are not cloaked disable all of your remaining shields and choose an enemy at range 1-2 that has no active shields. Place any number of tribble tokens on that ship’s Ship card. You cannot transfer any tribble tokens you received this round.

And that’s tribbles. They are fun, and interesting, and annoying, and a lot of work, and a concept in and of their own, and are great for casual play but yeah no good for organized play unless you can really strip the shields from a major ship quickly. Maybe throw them on a Borg ship? They can’t assimilate them that quickly can they? They are fun to use, and a blast, and thematic, but not really great for this game per say. It’s an action hog to get them to work, and too restrictive since their shields have to be down, but way too powerful and unthematic if it worked through shields. I’ve used them once in a fun game but that was it.

You have 2 weapons upgrades. A photon torpedo that only attacks with 4 dice but costs only 4 instead of 3 and lets you convert 1 battlestations result into a critical hit and a magnetic pulse. It costs 3 points, uses 4 attack dice, and has a range of 2-3. You have to disable the card and 1 active shield to use it, and each critical hit on an opponent’s shields hit his hull instead. This card is pretty worthless and the fact that you have to disable 1 active shield means that it really won’t work that often on a cheaper Klingon vessel. The generic D7 only has one shield, so you have to get it off before you get shot or you can’t use it. This is too restrictive and not really worth it. If it let crits get through the shields to the hull and hit for critical damage I would consider it but just normal damage I would rather apply to the shields and get them down quickly. Pass!

There is 1 elite talent and 1 tech upgrade as well. The elite talent is Sabotage which costs 3 points and an action. You discard this upgrade and pick a ship at range 1-2 that is not cloaked and has no active shields and can discard 1 weapon or tech upgrade on that ship. A situational talent, I see if being good against the Borg or against a huge upgrade, like Transphic torpedoes from Voyager, but it depends on what your opponent is doing and what they bring to the table. Most upgrades aren’t worth the action, but if you know that someone is going to bring some heavy points in tech or weapon upgrades you can use this to unhinge their plans. The tech upgrade is Projected Stasis Field. It costs 5 points and action. If you are not cloaked disable all of your remaining shields and discard this upgrade to target a ship at range 1-2. That ship must disable all of its shields and cannot attack this round. You roll 2 less attack dice. This card is very situational but could be good if you want to go after a large shield ship and have a nice set up to handle it, like 2-3 ships who can shot at the same time. Again, the disable your remaining shields is a problem for the D7 since it only has 1 or 2. I leave this in the box since it’s way too situational and requires such a major cost to get going. It’s just not worth it.

EDIT:

mathguy618 pointed out the following about Projected Status Field and he is correct:
I think you undervalue Projected Stasis Field because it does stop them from attacking you, plus the rest of your fleet has a much easier time of destroying them.
Aside from that, good job.

Final Thoughts:
The Gr’oth is a swarm ship that does decent damage, can maybe survive one pass with the enemy, but if it does turn around and hit them quickly. You can easily drop 2 generic D7’s with low costs captains and nothing else for 40 points in your fleet, leaving you with another 80 to have two heavier hitters, but you don’t have to. The 28+ point ships will eat this for lunch, but they also should. After all, this ship costs 10 to 12 points less! Tribbles are fun to mess around with but not a viable strategy under most circumstances. This ship is a good additional to a fleet, and is something that you can definitely use if you want a cheaper support ship, but there is nothing here that you should feel required to buy.

Only get it you think you’d use it to help swarm.

Check out my other reviews at Reviews by Mil05006

Check out the shipyard for more intense competitive reviews at
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing Ship Reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you undervalue Projected Stasis Field because it does stop them from attacking you, plus the rest of your fleet has a much easier time of destroying them.
Aside from that, good job. I'm enjoying reading your reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That may be true. If you throw a low cost captain on it and use it before you get attacked and have your shields stripped that would work. Especially against their heavy hitter.

You're right. I will edit my review to your point below.

mathguy6189 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
mil05006 wrote:
That may be true. If you throw a low cost captain on it and use it before you get attacked and have your shields stripped that would work. Especially against their heavy hitter.

mathguy6189 wrote:

Even on a high skill captain, PSF has value. At that point you're much more likely to get your shot off, and their ship is more likely to be in range when you perform the action. Plus the attack cancelation is determined by the action, not in the combat phase, so that's even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bow to your superior wisdom and will now end up adjusting my Klingon strategy. Now I know what I'm doing next time I play.

mathguy6189 wrote:
mil05006 wrote:

mathguy6189 wrote:

Even on a high skill captain, PSF has value. At that point you're much more likely to get your shot off, and their ship is more likely to be in range when you perform the action. Plus the attack cancelation is determined by the action, not in the combat phase, so that's even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.