Subject: Kallo Vuori: Villain Base Environment. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
This is one of my early environment ideas that I never shared. Cleaned it up and balanced it and here it is.

The intent is to feel like a James Bond-esque villain base, nasty stuff but not overly complex or varied.

It has some synergy with Omnitron, Ambuscade and Voss.

Kallo Vuori - Villainous Base.

2. Personal Satellite: [8]
Device
At the start of the environment turn each hero must either discard 2 cards, destroy one of their non-character cards or the lowest health non-hero target deals them (H) energy damage.

5 Security Detail: [5]
Minion
At the end of the Environment turn this card deals the hero target with the highest HP X melee damage, reduce the next damage dealt by that target by X.
X on this card is the number of Security Details in play.

2 Surveillance System:
At the start of the Environment turn search the Environment trash for a security detail and put it into play.

2. Shark Trap
At the end of the Environment turn this card deals the Highest HP hero Target (H) melee damage, if that hero discards a card the damage is dealt to the lowest HP non-hero target instead.

2. Laser Defense Drones: [6]
Device, Drone
Whenever a hero card is played, this card deals that hero (H)-2 energy damage.

2. Command Center:
At the end of each hero turn that hero may draw a card.
At the Start of the Environment turn play the top card of both the Environment and Villain decks, then destroy this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skull mountain? Sounds cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
Small notes: Wouldn't it also have interactions with Deadline (Challenge mode) and Baron Blade/Luminary, due to the device keyword?
Security Detail is an interesting card, but it's a little odd to have 5 copies (since no current official deck has more than 4 copies of a single card).
The wording on Shark Trap is a little strange, I think I get the point of it overall - But it's also a little amusing that you could drop, say, one of Apostate's relics into the put and have the sharks attack it.
Command Center will almost always play the top card of the environment deck. Even in a deck where the environment heavily plays against the heroes, it's better than extra villain plays. The choice on it seems kind of redundant.
And on that same note, it's strange to see an environment that... Well, favors isn't the right word, since that would imply it does at least /some/ good for the heroes - But an environment that basically acts as an extra villain deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
To make Command Center work, it might be worth just having it play the environment deck -- maybe something crazy like a card at the start and end of the turn -- and then "At the start of the environment turn, the heroes may decide to play the top card of the villain deck. If they do, destroy this card."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Security Forces are the main thrust of the deck, similar to Gloomweaver's Zombie Servants or Plague Rat's Infection, which have 5 copies each.

I've had 4 in play at a time before, which, by the way,is terrible.

Command Center is an older version, I changed it to the current one.

I'm terrible with computers.

The goal of this deck was to create a blatantly Villain themed deck that wasn't too tough on the heroes (like a less nasty Rook City).

The security forces aren't bad at all, unless you let them get numbers, at which point they crush you.

Shark Trap is fun because most of the time you are going to turn it against the villains, which is perfect because the sharks always end up eating the bad guy's minions anyway. Apostate's relics are kind of silly, but hey, those sharks are hungry.

Personal Satellite is one of the nastier ones, but you get 3 choices so your hero can take the least bad option.

By keeping the different cards to a minimum the environment becomes more stable and predictable, which makes it less of an impact on the match.

I like Environments with 15 different cards, and ones like this, with only 6. gives you a nice range of experience, but also lets you tailor your match to how much work you want to have to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I really like this - it has a clear theme, shark tank is brilliant, and it's relatively low key, and isn't likely to dominate the entire game like some environments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.