$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Justin Fry
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone! I'm looking to get two new games, one of which I know will be the original arcadia quest. I'm not so sure about the second one. I know the retail arcadia quest has almost 50% of the content missing due to kickstarter exclusives so I was considering picking up beyond the grave to flesh it out and then inferno on ebay for the kickstarter edition of that. I'm pretty sure I will really enjoy arcadia quest but I'm not sure how long the base game will last me. If the base game will last a while and I don't need the expansion right away, then I'm considering Agricola revised and chaos in the old world. My only concern with Agricola is that I already have caverna and they may be too similar. I tend to like complex long games of any genre. Thanks for your opinions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, retail version of Arcadia Quest is not "missing" anything. It is a good, solid, game in its own merit, even without the KS exclusives. You don't need those to play full experience of AQ. Unless you are a mini collector, you don't need the extras, really.

Beyond the Grave adds new monsters, new "graveyard cards" mechanic, new equipment cards, new campaign and new heroes to AQ. It brings more excitement to AQ. We like the expansion a lot. If you already bored with AQ (+BTG), you can make a "random map" with the tiles and play one off skirmish game. Start the game by giving players certain gold points to but cards and drafting equipment cards, set the monsters according the equipments' level and off to go! I do this with my family and we love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World is gaming gold... so long as you have 4 players for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fry
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
callidusx3 wrote:

You'd recommend it over the other two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
If you play Caverna and think "Man, I just wish it was more difficult to do anything!" then get Agricola. For two games that are very similar, they feel extremely different - Agricola is a bit of a pressure cooker trying to feed your family and progress towards the ideal farm, while Caverna is more of a leisurely stroll through the process, picking points wherever you want or have the chance to. Personally I prefer Agricola, and won't get Caverna because I've got Agricola. If I owned Caverna first, I probably wouldn't bother getting Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna feels more like a sand box game to me. Many paths to victory, and you never really feel like you messed up or out of useful actions to take. Agricola is tighter, with more competition for the worker spots, and you need to spend much more energy to keep your workers fed.

There is definitely a place for both in a collection, they play quite differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Agricola is thematically and mechanically similar to Caverna, but they play and feel very differently (see: several thousand BGG threads comparing the two). The base game should last you a very long time without any expansions, however, Agricola is a relatively shorter game than the others you have mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
Actually, retail version of Arcadia Quest is not "missing" anything. It is a good, solid, game in its own merit, even without the KS exclusives. You don't need those to play full experience of AQ. Unless you are a mini collector, you don't need the extras, really.
+1
callidusx3 wrote:
+1
Not that Caverna is a bad game (if you enjoy Euro-style worker placement games), but it doesn't grab me like more thematic games (i.e. games with a healthy dose of Ameritrash).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you have and rate Caverna a 9, I do not think you should get Agricola. They're different games, but you seem to like Caverna enough and I am doubtful Agric will bring enough new to the table. (I have owned both Agric and Cav - BTW the revised edition isn't necessarily better for Agricola; I didn't find a playing difference really.)

I also disagree with buying Beyond The Grave. I own just the base game of Arcadia Quest and have played it at least a dozen times. I think you should wait and play it a fair bit first, then maybe get the expansion, as the base game (even WITHOUT the KS extras) has a lot of replay and fun. The expansion isn't necessary and the base game is very complete.

That leaves Chaos in The Old World. This depends on your player count...do you often play with 4 players? If so, I say this is the best of the games to get. Its four factions and gameplay is great.

Anyway, I vote CiTOW to get, if you have 4p regularly. If you want something similar to Chaos but don't get 4p much, look into Blood Rage (same designer as Chaos and Arcadia but its like a semi-successor to Chaos and easier to get into)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fry
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Since you have and rate Caverna a 9, I do not think you should get Agricola. They're different games, but you seem to like Caverna enough and I am doubtful Agric will bring enough new to the table. (I have owned both Agric and Cav - BTW the revised edition isn't necessarily better for Agricola; I didn't find a playing difference really.)

I also disagree with buying Beyond The Grave. I own just the base game of Arcadia Quest and have played it at least a dozen times. I think you should wait and play it a fair bit first, then maybe get the expansion, as the base game (even WITHOUT the KS extras) has a lot of replay and fun. The expansion isn't necessary and the base game is very complete.

That leaves Chaos in The Old World. This depends on your player count...do you often play with 4 players? If so, I say this is the best of the games to get. Its four factions and gameplay is great.

Anyway, I vote CiTOW to get, if you have 4p regularly. If you want something similar to Chaos but don't get 4p much, look into Blood Rage (same designer as Chaos and Arcadia but its like a semi-successor to Chaos and easier to get into)

I typically play 60% with two people (myself and my girlfriend) and 40% with four (the two of us with another couple). I've heard good things about chaos in the old world and it seems like my kind of game. With regard to caverna and agricola, what do you think of fields of arle instead? I've heard that is more open like caverna and is 2 player only with suits my situation well. Would you recommend FoA over agricola? I might get both that and CitOW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never got a chance to play Fields of Arle so I cannot say, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
I would definitely encourage you to get Arle over Agricola. The only drawback to Arle is that it is strictly 2P, but sounds like you get a good amount of 2p gaming in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
gamerfry wrote:
NowOrNever88 wrote:

I typically play 60% with two people (myself and my girlfriend) and 40% with four (the two of us with another couple). I've heard good things about chaos in the old world and it seems like my kind of game. With regard to caverna and agricola, what do you think of fields of arle instead? I've heard that is more open like caverna and is 2 player only with suits my situation well. Would you recommend FoA over agricola? I might get both that and CitOW

You didn't ask me, but since I own and frequently play both:

I'd recommend FoA over Agricola, if you enjoy a good low conflict sandbox game. It is longer than Agricola (one of your preferences), very strategic, multiple paths, and not very confrontational. Agricola at 2 players can be a bit of a knife fight, if you choose to play it that way (we don't, and still like it, but prefer FoA).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.