Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul lieberman
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I went to two stores and flipped through the pages of a few RPG'S. To my horror they all had Security stickers attached to a page in the center of the book! When I complained to customer sevice in the store they said that is standard procedure. They do not put it on the blank inner cover because people remove it.
I was in shock as I informed them that they are defacing their merchandise.
They said that the security stickers are easily removed. What a bunch of crap!
I then called their home office and complained. Their response was that it is attached at the distribution centers and don't believe it harms the books.
I told them that may be true if it was freshly put on. However if the book is old there is a good chance that the gum would dry up and hence deface the merchandise.
In the future I will avoid buying books that are not shrink-wrapped from them.
To recap make sure that you flip through the pages prior to purchase. It should be noted that they sometimes also sell miniatures rules so that this applys to various games (eg Ospray).
Hope this heads up communication helps unsuspecting buyers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Question: What weirdos steal RPG books?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband doesn't buy RPG books at B&N because of the stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a +5 dagger of removing stickers... I still won't chance it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is this done with all their books or just RPGs? I'm curious to know which books are deemed worthy of a security device and which are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
Is this done with all their books or just RPGs? I'm curious to know which books are deemed worthy of a security device and which are not.

I haven't seen them in other books. My guess is 1) these books have a higher price tag, so it's worth it to them to protect the merchandise; 2) they had reason to protect this specific merchandise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its a sad fact of the world that we have to plan against bad people.
Same with those shi-tastic plastic containers that are super sealed.
I encourage all to continue to complain about this problem and shop elsewhere, sooner or later they will realize its worth their time to solve this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not ask the store staff to remove it safely before you pay for your item?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:

They're called blister-packs, and they're downright dangerous. Also popular for shipping the very tools you need to open them :/

That B&N practice is outrageous. I can't imagine a bookstore here would ever do something like that. All their tags are either non-sticky ones hidden somewhere in items, giving you an interesting surprise if their deactivation device didn't quite work, or stickers above the barcode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
TrimChris wrote:

That seems like a very clever solution and one worth following if you were to buy books there. Essentially, you're calling their bluff when they say that the stickers are easily removed.

When I worked at Barnes and Noble I generally would see the security stickers cut out with the backing still attached and inserted into the middle of books. If you picked them up loosely sometimes they would fall out. I am surprised that they have now gone to peeling off the sticker and actually applying it to the page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ulrey
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Question: What weirdos steal RPG books?

What weirdos Buy RPG books? devilsauronwhistlelaughlaugh J/k
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
mafman6 wrote:

They're called blister-packs, and they're downright dangerous. Also popular for shipping the very tools you need to open them :/

That B&N practice is outrageous. I can't imagine a bookstore here would ever do something like that. All their tags are either non-sticky ones hidden somewhere in items, giving you an interesting surprise if their deactivation device didn't quite work, or stickers above the barcode.
I use a tin opener to get blister packs open :-) stickers on actual pages is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
While I didn't work for B&N I did work for Borders and as far as I can recall there are two different types of tags they can be used, one with a sticky back, and one without. I don't know if B&N uses the non-sticky tags, but but the ones that were sticky never ruined a book that I ever saw. The tackiness of the glue is very low.

Again, I never worked for B&N and do not know what type of product they use to secure their books, but there are products on the market that do not damage books at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Geddings
United States
pompano beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As someone who spent many years working for B&N's competition I can tell you that it is indeed a standard industry practice for larger retailers. Typically the books that receive these tags are those that are of a high dollar value or in a high shrink category (category with a high amount of theft). For this particular location games may be a high shrink category and so any material within said category would receive the tag. Also, having spent time chasing after 13-17 year olds stealing manga and rpg books it is most definitely a necessity. I can't tell you how many of these tags I would find around the store either still on the outer shrink wrap or just on a floor somewhere which suggests two things to me: 1. putting it on the shrink or inside cover does not work as they will be removed almost immediately and 2. They must not damage the books all that much being that I wasn't finding torn up pages on these tags just the barren tags. If you are looking to avoid the tags being put on your books try special ordering them. Those special orders don't typically hit the floor and so are less likely to get those tags attached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
mafman6 wrote:

They're called blister-packs

heathen! don't sully the name of the humble blister pack by categorizing them together with those knife defying packages!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I wasn't rushing out to buy RPG books from B&N anyway.

That said, I've seen the same security stickers in the middle of computer books in the past, so it doesn't really surprise me. Honestly, local B&N's often have the RPG books behind a counter because they get stolen so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror, shock, deface?

It's not a Gutenberg Bible.

What are you going to do with it? Put it in a glass container to hang on the wall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:

What are you going to do with it? Put it in a glass container to hang on the wall?

That's exactly what some people do! Or at least a pedestal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
I have a +5 dagger of removing stickers... I still won't chance it.

I scroll quickly after reading the story to find a joke like this. Wasn't disappointed. Thanks Internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. Hartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrimChris wrote:

This. Powells in Portland did it and I made them remove them from two autographed books. One came out fine, the other tore and the employee had a near panic attack. At the end of the day, I avoid stores that partake in such boneheaded practices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Barnes
United States
St. Charles
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know and avoid. I have plenty of ways of buying books of all kinds that don't involve going to a B&N store.

TWB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, that is lame of them. I hate it when paying consumers are punished for the actions of thieves.
It is like the ridiculous DRM in computer games nowadays. I bought the game legitimately, but now I have to jump through hoops because other people pirate it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
Horror, shock, deface?

If I ever play your games, I will be sure to bring some sharpies over. I like to personalize the experience.

It sounds like the sticker the OP mentioned could reasonably be expected to leave residue covering text in the book. I think it's a fair expectation for him to want to be able to read all of the book he pays for. In addition, while it's perfectly fine for you to have a utilitarian view of your books (hey, YMMV: that's cool), there are a great many of us that view many of our books as treasured items, that shudder every time we see a dog ear or a book spread open and down on a table. I get what you are saying, but I definitely am with the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:
Horror, shock, deface?

If I ever play your games, I will be sure to bring some sharpies over. I like to personalize the experience.

It sounds like the sticker the OP mentioned could reasonably be expected to leave residue covering text in the book. I think it's a fair expectation for him to want to be able to read all of the book he pays for. In addition, while it's perfectly fine for you to have a utilitarian view of your books (hey, YMMV: that's cool), there are a great many of us that view many of our books as treasured items, that shudder every time we see a dog ear or a book spread open and down on a table. I get what you are saying, but I definitely am with the OP.

There is plenty of white space in books. No text is harmed in a morass of glue unless somebody got careless. Then you pick out another one. And I only make annotations in my own rulebooks. Although with slick paper hardbacks I'd likely go with Post-it notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.