Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using Peaceful Cave during missions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Smack Random
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I was wondering how Peaceful Cave worked in a pretty specific instance.

Say I have the peaceful cave and go on an expedition with a level 7 dwarf (my only dwarf with a weapon) to furnish a cavern with the Prayer Chamber. The Prayer Chamber costs 3 food. The question is, can I sell the weapon for 7 food mid mission and still furnish a cavern (using the food I just got)? Does selling the weapon prevent me from questing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smack N Cheese wrote:

Say I have the peaceful cave and go on an expedition with a level 7 dwarf (my only dwarf with a weapon) to furnish a cavern with the Prayer Chamber. The Prayer Chamber costs 3 food. The question is, can I sell the weapon for 7 food mid mission and still furnish a cavern (using the food I just got)? Does selling the weapon prevent me from questing?

I think the rule is that you can't use an "anytime" action to interrupt the middle of an ongoing action. So you'd need to complete your expedition before using Peaceful Cave.

EDIT: Now I'm rethinking that answer. Based on other rulings about converting animals to food during an expedition, I'd say you can use the Peaceful Cave during the expedition. HOWEVER, if, after converting some weapons to food, you no longer have a weapon level high enough to take the loot that you want, you can't choose it.

So, if you were only level 7 you couldn't convert any levels and still furnish a cavern. But if you were higher than 7, you could convert down to 7 and use the resulting food to furnish.

EDIT 2: Wait a minute here, what are you talking about when you say the Prayer Chamber costs 3 food? It's been a while since I played, so I couldn't remember if any rooms cost food instead of resources, but now that I'm looking I don't see any that do. Prayer Chamber costs 2 wood. Did I totally misunderstand your question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Supplies Storage costs 3 Food and 1 Wood.

I do not believe that any other furnishings cost Food - or give you a way to convert Food to something else.

It would be nice if the rules were clearer.

Of course, you could always take all your other loot items first, then use Peaceful Cave to convert your weapon to Food, and then finally furnish with Supplies Storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smack Random
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
grant5 wrote:

EDIT 2: Wait a minute here, what are you talking about when you say the Prayer Chamber costs 3 food? It's been a while since I played, so I couldn't remember if any rooms cost food instead of resources, but now that I'm looking I don't see any that do. Prayer Chamber costs 2 wood. Did I totally misunderstand your question?

No, I was just looking at the wrong building. It ended up not being an issue in this case.

There is a building that has food as a cost, so I guess the question still remains if you can spend the weapon of a dwarf while on a mission and still use that weapon to determine the benefit. I would guess that no, you can't burn a weapon after choosing a reward but before paying for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smack N Cheese wrote:

I'm pretty sure that you can not use the effect of a building while you are executing an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cobb
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
visit rollordont.com for a free computer game with a challenging AI player!
badge
visit rollordont.com for a free computer game with a challenging AI player!
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
[q="Smack N Cheese"]I was wondering how Peaceful Cave worked in a pretty specific instance.

EDIT: Now I'm rethinking that answer. Based on other rulings about converting animals to food during an expedition, I'd say you can use the Peaceful Cave during the expedition. HOWEVER, if, after converting some weapons to food, you no longer have a weapon level high enough to take the loot that you want, you can't choose it.

So, if you were only level 7 you couldn't convert any levels and still furnish a cavern. But if you were higher than 7, you could convert down to 7 and use the resulting food to furnish.

You can't just convert down to a lower weapon level. You have to get rid of the entire weapon...I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Cobb wrote:
You can't just convert down to a lower weapon level. You have to get rid of the entire weapon...I believe.

That is correct.

Thus, the question really boils down to the following.

Suppose that your Dwarf undertakes an Expedition with a Weapon of strength 7 or higher and you want the loot item "carry out a Furnish a cavern action" to build Supplies storage.

The building costs for Supplies storage are 3 Food and 1 Wood. Suppose that you do not have 3 Food.

The question is the following: can you use Peaceful cave to trade that 7-strength Weapon for 7 Food and then use the Food to build Supplies storage?

Personally, that seems acceptable to me. You can use Peaceful cave at any time and, in this case, you are doing so only after you have selected a loot item.

If the Expedition has a level higher than 1, you might be entitled to another loot item after this, and there could be a question of whether you can take it after you've traded the original Weapon for Food.

Since building Supplies storage is the only loot item that requires Food, that loot item could always be taken last, avoiding the second question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.