Subject: Food safety (quiz) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously foods that are properly canned or sealed, fresh fruit and vegetables, and things like vinegar, honey, flour, sugar or spices can be held at room temperature, but when it comes to prepared foods, opened/ unsealed foods, and/or meats/ dairy/ eggs, and so on...

Quiz
What are the recognized safe limits of food storage?
Keep most foods at -4˚F (-20˚C) or lower, or at 86˚F (30˚C) or higher
It only matters for meat and dairy- Keep at -4˚F (-20˚C) or lower, or at 86˚F (30˚C) or higher
Keep most foods at 0˚F (-18˚C) or lower, or at 100˚F (38˚C) or higher
It only matters for meat and dairy- Keep at 0˚F (-18˚C) or lower, or at 100˚F (38˚C) or higher
Keep most foods at 32˚F (0˚C) or lower, or at 212˚F (100˚C) or higher
It only matters for meat and dairy- Keep at 32˚F (0˚C) or lower, or at 212˚F (100˚C) or higher
Keep most foods at 40˚F (5˚C) or lower, or at 140˚F (60˚C) or higher
It only matters for meat and dairy- Keep at 40˚F (5˚C) or lower, or at 140˚F (60˚C) or higher
Keep most foods at 50˚F (10˚C) or lower, or at 150˚F (65˚C) or higher
It only matters for meat and dairy- Keep at 50˚F (10˚C) or lower, or at 150˚F (65˚C) or higher
    48 answers
Quiz created by MABBY

Poll
Do you know what temperature your refrigerator is at?
The freezer in your refrigerator? Your deep-freezer, if you have one?
Yes
No
      54 answers
Poll created by MABBY

One other thing to avoid: Cross-contamination; don't cut raw chicken and raw beef on the same cutting board or with the same knife, unless you wash them well first.
Same goes for other meat combinations, and also for combined raw and cooked meats, even of the same type. Don't do it. Wash everything first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The reason to keep most foods at 40˚F (4˚C) or lower, or at 140˚F (60˚C) or higher, is bacteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's polls like this that make me want to eat only cereal - that's easy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever wonder why you hear about E. coli outbreaks with burger meat, but not so much with steak?

It all has to do with surface area.
There is bacteria on every piece of meat that you get. Even a steak.
So let's say that there is some bad bacteria on your steak, and you cook it. You kill the bacteria, all is fine.
But if you take that bad bacteria steak and put it into a grinder, now you've moved the bad bacteria that was on its surface to the middle of the ground meat mixture. There is now plenty of surface area to thrive on, and it is better protected from the grill, as well.
So if you don't cook the meat all the way through to over 140 degrees, then that is when the bacteria are at their most active.

If you trust the storage and origin of your burger, then you should have no issues grilling them, and keeping them medium rare if you like them that way.
Heck, steak "tartare" is raw ground meat. But the people serving it are damned sure about its quality.
This ought to nauseate you. I hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I know I've got about 25 pounds to lose, but don't make lose it in a week.gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Holidays! ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
US FDA wants 165°F/74°C for a lot of foods:
http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/BuyStor...

I don't see any point in not going down to 32°F/0°C; most foods don't contain pure enough water to actually freeze, and milk can sour at 40°F/5°C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what the exact temperatures are.

Freezer temp = frozen rock solid.

Refrigerator temp = milk doesn't spoil even past its expiration date a bit.

If left in the freezer for years, throw away. If left in the fridge and stinks, throw away.

Simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this the other day, seems like a handy dandy reference point.

http://www.stilltasty.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
US FDA wants 165°F/74°C for a lot of foods:
http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/BuyStor...

I don't see any point in not going down to 32°F/0°C; most foods don't contain pure enough water to actually freeze, and milk can sour at 40°F/5°C.
The minimum safe temperature for whole fresh beef (which would include steaks and roasts) is 145F with a 3 minute rest time which is going to be medium. While that is technically the safest recommendation, it is pretty rare to get food poisoning from a rare or medium rare steak. Also that recommendation goes for whole pork, so if you are eating pork chops you don't have to cook them well done, leave some pink. So delicious and juicy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.