Empire of the Sun» Forums » General

Subject: (Bug?) VASSAL module 4.3N-02 and the transport routes. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An older version, where the transport routes had full hex overlays, worked for me (I could alt-click & select an option to construct them).

With this version, nothing happens when alt-clicking on the hex. I also tried to ctrl-click, shift-click, the same combinations with right click - no luck.

Doesn't work with open jdk 1.8.0_91 (default on Ubuntu 16.04) or Oracle java 1.8.0_102 (downloaded just for trying this).

Would this be a problem in the module, or in the Vassal version I am currently running (3.2.16)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I alt clicked on the hex then a green box came up. Right clicking inside the box brought up a menu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks - which Java and Vassal versions are you running? (No green box for me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey - alt clicking on the hex, then moving the mouse a bit to the right and right clicking (several tries, a bit up or down) brought up the "toggle transport route" menu item!

So, there seems to be an extra "green box" which is invisible for me but visible for you, and right clicking on it will bring up the menu.

Still seems like a VASSAL or module bug - if the menu is supposed to appear immediately when alt-clicking, it does not seem to work for either of us. What OS are you running?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL 3.2.15
Empire 4.3N
Java 6.0.450
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, all older versions than what I have. Thanks. (Edited original post, had a typo, I am running VASSAL 3.2.16)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL 3.2.15 behaves similarly, except it shows a green square hex border occasionally after the menu appears, if I manage to hit the invisible trigger.

However, for both it and 3.2.16, actually selecting the toggle transport route does not cause any effect, the route does not change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... Hopefully somebody more helpful will come along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm puzzled by this and I can't reproduce it.

I have VASSAL 3.2.16
I'm running Java JRE 1.8.0_66

Note that I'm not running the JDK, just the JRE but that shouldn't make a difference. It's possible it could be a Java bug instead.

Can you try with an older version of Java, say... Java version 1.6 or Java 1.7?

The only other difference I can see is the use of Ubuntu but I'm uncertain why that would make any difference... unless the Look and Feel has an impact. What if you change the swing look and feel? What is it currently set to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would I change the look and feel?

It is the default look and feel every Java application has. I know it can be changed by code from the application... but how to do it as the user of the application?

I'll tell results once I try an older Java version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found an archived copy of java 1.7_079, however trying to run VASSAL 3.2.16 with it gives me: Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "main"

With this content of VASSAL.sh
--
#!/bin/bash

#
# Execute this file to launch VASSAL on MacOS or Linux
#

# Find absolute path where VASSAL is installed
INSTALL_DIR=$(cd "$(dirname "$0")"; pwd)

# Launch VASSSAL
/opt/java/jre1.7.0_79/bin/java -Duser.dir="$INSTALL_DIR" -classpath "$INSTALL_DIR"/lib/Vengine.jar VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager "$@"
--

That java is runnable:
$ /opt/java/jre1.7.0_79/bin/java -version
java version "1.7.0_79"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_79-b15)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 24.79-b02, mixed mode)

Maybe VASSAL 3.2.16 is no longer compatible with Java 1.7 ?

Also, if this transport route setting would work with a year old java 1.8_66, but no longer works with the ones which can be downloaded from Oracle, then .. ?

Well, I'll try tomorrow on windows 10 and Java 1.8_102

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, on windows 10, Oracle JRE 8.102, VASSAL 3.2.16

alt-clicking on the hex draws a green selection box around the hex, then right click anywhere inside that green box gives the menu, and selecting the menu changes the transport route.

This looks likely to be a Java bug, on linux only. (alt clicking the hex on linux does not draw the selection box, but the box apparently exists, invisible and very small - and hitting that box to show the menu shows the green border even if the menu selection will fail for some reason)

Or maybe the VASSAL code itself defines the selection box boundaries in a way which somehow does not work on linux. Or which triggers a java bug in the latest version on Linux.

Anyway, this does not seem to be a bug in the module. When it worked for me over a half year ago, on a different computer, with the full hex overlay version of the module, Java, VASSAL and the module were all older versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.