Hide
18 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: RTL: to buy or not to buy expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Asmus
msg tools
Tried bringing Descent 2.0 to the table a few times in the past with my group and it never ended well usually due to the overlord role. Since then we have always stuck to pure Co-op games. RTL has breathed new life into Descent for us

I had a question about purchasing boxed expansions to use with RTL:

Am I crazy to have a sinking feeling like i'm wasting money if I buy one of the expansion boxes to use with RTL, only to throw away the original quests and some of the cards?

Does buying a $45-60 expansion box add enough change/variety to the experience to make it worthwhile (especially since there is really only 1 major campaign available currently)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
big draw of the boxes

1 More monsters (3 new sets normally)
2 1 new Effect/Condition in every box..
(the app used the conditions for peril and trap effect sometimes, e.g not just when one of the new monsters hit you)
3 new treasures to buy
4 new heros to try out

what you dont use
1 Rumour cards..(who ever understood them in the main game any way)
2 Quest booklet ( the apps your quest now)
3 Overload cards..

with a small box expansion you get a mini 5 quest campaign... you know you could whisper to other coop players wonder what this is like playing vs a human! wanna try the small 5 quest campaign :-) treat RTL as a teaching and stepping board into 1 vs many play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't have the link to it, but there was another thread that basically said the initial Rise of All Goblins campaign didn't make much use of your expansions. The full campaign, Kindred Fire, will use the tiles and monsters.

But as Milarky said, if you buy an expansion just for Road to Legend a sizable portion of the content will never be touched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not really, no. If you play regular descent too, then yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Fwiw I just played RtL and have the two big box expansions and trollfens. I got the mission that trollfens provides and it used 4 tiles from that and 4 from the base set. Also it used harpies (who decimated me in two rounds...) so it does use some content but not all. I'm really hoping the app will have more DLC and use more components in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going into a little more detail here on what each type of expansion gets you for Road to Legend play...

Big Box Expansions (Labyrinth of Ruin, Shadows of Nerekhall) :
1) 4 new Heroes
2) 4 new Hero Classes
3) 1 new Condition
4) 3-5 new monster groups
5) Tiles for opening up a new RTL Side mission

Early Small Box Expansions (Lair of the Wyrm, Trollfens, Manor of Ravens) :
1) 2 new Heroes
2) 2 new Hero Classes
3) 1 new condition
4) 2 new monster groups
5) Tiles for opening up a new RTL side mission

Mists of Bilehall Small Box:
1) 3 new monster groups
2) 1 new condition
3) Tiles for opening up a new RTL side mission

Chains that Rust Small Box:
1) 4 new HYBRID Hero Classes
2) 1 new condition (same condition as Mists of Bilehall)
3) 3 new monster groups
4) Tiles for opening up a new RTL side mission

All Hero & Monster Packs:
1) 4 new Heroes
2) 3 new monster groups

All Lieutenant Packs:
1) Agent miniature that MAY be introduced as a peril effect.
(yeah, most of the content in these packs are worthless in RTL)

So yeah, there is still a lot of good useful content in the boxed expansions for RTL play. The extra hero classes are probably the main reason to get them. If you just want extra heroes and monsters for variability in RTL play, then the Hero/Monster collections are the best value, as they're usually only $20-25

AND if your group still wants to stick to pure co-op play, check out the RedJak Automated Overlord variants, which allow you to play the campaigns and quests included in the boxes as fully co-op by automating the Overlord player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the already mentioned things, small and big box expansions also provide new items for your heroes to buy in the city screen.

There are also some less obvious things like for example additional peril effects and a wider variety of Monster activations (which are usually tied to using the new condition each expansion provides).

Because of these factors I´d personally rate box expansions (except for Mists of Bilehall) above H&M Sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
If I were you, I would play through the RTL campaign with your group using just the base set.

The draw of the expansions and hero/monster sets is that they add additional options and events/quests to the campaigns, but if you are going through a single playthrough, your group probably won't know the difference.

If things go well, then by all means expand for additional heroes, monsters, classes, and side quests based on what your group is interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
I love dungeon crawls, but my days of 1 vs many games are over. As such, I skipped Descent 2e even though I loved 1e (still played vs many games) and crawls being my favorite genre.

And then the RtL app hit.

I am buying it all up a few boxes at a time. In my opinion, the packs add a lot. But they don't look that way if you look at the box contents in terms of stuff you won't be using. The app shuffles up monster spawns, has its own version of overlord and travel cards, has dynamic loot based on collection, and shuffles mission choices. It sort of does what those things you won't be using do anyway. I think it's better to think of what your app will be doing with the content instead of what cardboard won't leave the box.

Another nicety that I've discovered is that the app is sort of soft patching monster groups. In RtL there are interesting random modifiers to monsters that change the way they play in standard play. Sorcerers can teleport around. Goblins hit (hard) and run. The app keeps it interesting. I just see the old (1 vs many) cards as outdated and see the app doing it all just as well... and without all the clutter.

My vote is, a resounding yes, more boxes are worth it for RtL alone. Every time I get a few more, I then order more. The app is really cool and it's a good time to be a gamer.

That said, even with some added lieutenants, they NEVER seem to appear. Skip those packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Short version: Chaplin717 is right, Lieutenants won't show up and aren't worth the purchase.

Long verison: According to the app, if you go to "Collection" and select of of the Lieutenant Miniatures, it says the digital content unlocked is a new peril effect which summons the lieutenant.

I don't know exactly what triggers those, but basically if you hang around in a dungeon too long you get them. Which implies that the only time you could possibly see the expansion lieutenants is if you're lollygagging around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dickinson
Australia
flag msg tools
What I would like to see, and what I expect would sell like hotcakes,is an expansion made specifically with the app in mind.

A big box expansion with a whole new campaign on the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
Beffer wrote:
What I would like to see, and what I expect would sell like hotcakes,is an expansion made specifically with the app in mind.

I vote on that. More search cards, stickers to track monsters (with a update on the app to track the hp) etc. Specific new tokens and tiles for new adventures and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Beffer wrote:

I´m a bit confused. What exactly would this expansion contain, that current expansions don´t already do?

Don´t misunderstand me, I´d be open to such a thing. But what you are asking for sounds to me like a box expansion without a classic Overlord vs Heroes campaign, travel events and overlord cards.

But what exactly is the difference in releasing such a box with less content, instead of releasing a classic big box, and using just the components that are compatible with the app.

I think an app-only box isn´t really needed. Instead they should focus on creating an in app campaign, that takes advantage of having multiple expansion by using their tiles. We already saw that this is possible, as the quest Defense of castle Thelys has different map layouts depending on you owning the shadows of nerekhall expansion or not.

Anyway, it has been 2 years since we last saw a big box expansion, and I´d like to see them release full expansions again, not these "small box light" expansions like "Mists of Bilehall". And I second the notion, that new search cards are desperately needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Asmus
msg tools
Thanks everyone, for the fantastic advice. I think I will finish play-through with base set and then maybe invest on one of the big box sets and see how that adds more, and hopefully they will start releasing new campaigns before long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
My suggestion would be to add tons of stuff in the collection tab. Then load and reload a few first rooms of a quest. You will start to get an idea about how different the games will feel (or similar I suppose depending on taste). I personally love the sure shake-up of critter types once you have a lot of content. Heroes and classes are just icing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you to OP and to all of your responses. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I bought the base game of Descent 2nd Edition years ago when I first started getting into modern board gaming. I thought it would be similar to Warhammer Quest, which we all loved. However, unfortunately because of the overlord player, we never really enjoyed it. Now, with the release of the RtL app it has brought new life into the game.

A loose friend of mine has offered me all of the expansions for roughly £360 and with the information you have all provided I feel much more clued up. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't checked out the app, but, also, FFG has two or three dead tree coop small expansions. One of them uses the first expansion. Also, there's a fanmade coop version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
I haven't checked out the app, but, also, FFG has two or three dead tree coop small expansions. One of them uses the first expansion. Also, there's a fanmade coop version.

There are a number of fa-nmade co-op systems. The ones that seems to have gained the most traction are RedJak's Automated Overlord RAOV and Automated Monster Variants RAMV.

RAOV is a little more complex, but lets you play the campaigns solo/co-op while using most of the game's material (Overlord decks, travel, rumors, etc).

RAMV is more like the RtL app in that there are not Overlord cards/classes being used, more like AI for the monsters (but again, geared for the campaigns and quests in the boxes).

Both require you print out a set a cards (or use an app like CardWarden and load the decks).

I'm a big fan of RtL, but have printed out both RAOV and RAMV so that I can take advantage of the other materials I've paid for, not just the heroes, monsters, and tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.