Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/surge...

TLDR: Guy has fatal disease that is causing his body to waste away and surgeon believes he could transplant his head onto a brain dead body.

Holdups - chimp only lived for 20 hrs after attempt, government greenlighting the operation.

I'm shocked they have can donor body, not to mention the compatibility between them, and the like. This is some next level Frankenstein shit if it works. Personally I'll give them credit for trying, if nothing else it's voluntary euthanasia imo but I guess that's up to interpretation. My main concern would be where they got the body for the graft from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
Those who continue to demonstrate will be subject to arrest.
mbmb
Is the fella's name Vecna?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
God is a cruel croupier, he dealeth and he taketh away
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a stupid idea.

First of all, modern medical science can't even reconnect the two parts of a spinal cord that has been severed. Note that that's two parts of someone's own spinal cord.

Taking a head from a disabled body and putting it on a new body makes no sense unless you can make the new body do something. That would require a functioning spinal cord. Without it the head would be moved from old disabled body to new disabled body, only with lots of new circulatory issues, immune attack of new tissues, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
He is just trying to get a head of the game, or wants some body to lean on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Such a stupid idea.

First of all, modern medical science can't even reconnect the two parts of a spinal cord that has been severed. Note that that's two parts of someone's own spinal cord.

Taking a head from a disabled body and putting it on a new body makes no sense unless you can make the new body do something. That would require a functioning spinal cord. Without it the head would be moved from old disabled body to new disabled body, only with lots of new circulatory issues, immune attack of new tissues, etc.

So you're saying disabled people are worthless? Tell that to Stephen Hawking.

If the guy makes it with his consciousness intact, that's a monumental win for science. The gains made here could be used in future, more successful surgeries. Quit being so shortsighted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
Such a stupid idea.

So you're saying disabled people are worthless? Tell that to Stephen Hawking.

If the guy makes it with his consciousness intact, that's a monumental win for science. The gains made here could be used in future, more successful surgeries. Quit being so shortsighted.

oh good God

How in the hell did you get your first statement from my post? You need to be careful about putting words into other people's mouths. I work with disabled people every single day. It is quite literally what I do.

Right now, the volunteer has an intact consciousness. He won't about six minutes after this procedure. In a sense your optismism about this procedure is touching, but that's not how biomedical progress occurs.

It is rare that I read something in RSP that makes me angry. You have succeeded in doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:

How in the hell did you get your first statement from my post?

Easy.

JoshBot wrote:
Taking a head from a disabled body and putting it on a new body makes no sense unless you can make the new body do something.

Do you really not comprehend how that would lead me to conclude that you only value achievements that can be accomplished with the use of a body?

This statement is almost equally asinine:

Quote:
He won't about six minutes after this procedure. In a sense your optismism about this procedure is touching, but that's not how biomedical progress occurs.

Trial and error is exactly how a lot of progress is made. How will we ever know until we attempt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyper Bolus
msg tools
JoshBot wrote:
Such a stupid idea.

So you are saying this procedure has 0% of probability of success? To me success is if the new body can keep the transplanted head alive without assistance. The doctor claimed that he thought he had a 90% chance of success but he did not state his criteria of success. I saw the guy who wants to do it, as I understand it his health is very poor and he may only have a few years left with his deteriorating condition.

It is my judgement that if the procedure has ANY chance of success then they should try it. I also think people should be able to get assisted suicide if that is their wish and they are mentally sound to make the decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
First of all, modern medical science can't even reconnect the two parts of a spinal cord that has been severed.

The team researching this has had some success using polyethylene glycol to fuse a severed spinal cord in mice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyper Bolus
msg tools
jmilum wrote:

The team researching this has had some success using polyethylene glycol to fuse a severed spinal cord in mice.

Are you pretending to know what that means?

Anyway China may allow the surgery and as long as everyone consents I don't see what the issue is. I don't think anyone should be charged with murder as long as the patient understands the chance of any success is extremely low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
oh good God
You might have missed the thread where Mac proved that, in fact, God is NOT good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
First of all, modern medical science can't even reconnect the two parts of a spinal cord that has been severed.

Many amazing biomedical feats seem not to be able to be replicated outside of China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the operation has no chance for success (if success is defined as the patient living, as opposed to publicity for the surgeons).

I believe so strongly in the autonomy of individuals that I think that people should be able to make fatal decisions, as long as those decisions are informed. However, realize that desperation perverts the idea of informed consent. Desperate people are preyed upon by hucksters every day. Everyone wants a miracle. They are very rare.

As long as the volunteer in this situation knows that he is going to die to participate in a medical stunt, more power to him. He needs to know that nothing meaningful will be learned. Big, showy Ns of one do not advance our understanding of the relevant science. Do a rat. Then more rats. Then a cat. Then more cats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
jmilum wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

Many amazing biomedical feats seem not to be able to be replicated outside of China.

Animal testing of that sort had been done in many labs for a while. As one example:

http://www.purdue.edu/uns/html4ever/0002.Borgens.PEG.html

I'm not aware of any human trials though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperbolus wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Are you pretending to know what that means?

Did I use too many big words? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
jmilum wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

Animal testing of that sort had been done in many labs for a while. As one example:

http://www.purdue.edu/uns/html4ever/0002.Borgens.PEG.html

I'm not aware of any human trials though.
Sixteen years later, and still no human application. Now that's real-world biomedical research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Yes, the operation has no chance for success (if success is defined as the patient living, as opposed to publicity for the surgeons).

I believe so strongly in the autonomy of individuals that I think that people should be able to make fatal decisions, as long as those decisions are informed. However, realize that desperation perverts the idea of informed consent. Desperate people are preyed upon by hucksters every day. Everyone wants a miracle. They are very rare.

As long as the volunteer in this situation knows that he is going to die to participate in a medical stunt, more power to him. He needs to know that nothing meaningful will be learned. Big, showy Ns of one do not advance our understanding of the relevant science. Do a rat. Then more rats. Then a cat. Then more cats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Later in the movie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about Dashi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
spookyblast wrote:
Later in the movie...

What is that from, Reanimator after they killed Hasley?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draxx01 wrote:
...What is that from, Reanimator after they killed Hasley?

Yeppers. It's on Netflix.
Someone posted it on youtube(240p).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb

My worst nightmare!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyper Bolus
msg tools
JoshBot wrote:

He needs to know that nothing meaningful will be learned.

I agree. Also the 10 million dollars is the estimated price tag for this experiment. That could be given to the Bill Gates foundation or into Zika vaccine research or Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria research. Or any number of more useful things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.