4,489 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.3% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
It was a race. For gold. For glory. For another word that starts with “G”.

There were two adventurers. Tatianna, swift and agile. And Hugo the Glorious, strong and clad in the best of armors and girded with powerful weaponry.

They entered the Dragonfire Dungeon at dawn on the same day. These are their stories.

—————————

Tatianna tiptoed around after having entered the dungeon. Looking for treasure, she discovered a staircase leading down into ominous darkness. Thinking that surely, riches aplenty would be found down there, she descended, and promptly got lost.

Instead of finding treasure, she managed to run into what felt like every single monstrosity down there, and stepped in each and every trap on her way. And probably some that had rushed toward her, just heap insult (and more misery) upon misery. After having spent far too many hours, she finally found a way back to the dungeon proper. Saved! With but one hp left… And with 30 gold pieces scrounged up somewhere.

Having thus (and quickly) learned that caution is the better part of valour, and that “she who gets squashed and runs away, may yet live to see another day”, she tiiiiip-toooooed towards what she hoped would be another exit from the Dungeon, following a faint breeze of fresh air…

It led her to a room where she would have to get past a very heavy and very solid-looking portcullis.

There is a reason she is *not* called Tatianna the Strong.

She spent sooooo much time working on getting the portcullis lifted enough, so she could slip under it, and she became increasingly worried about the passage of time. The sun was dipping towards the horizon… But finally she succeeded! She rolled through the hallway and… WHOA!!!!

An abyss as black as darkest night opened right in front of her! Teetering at the edge, she summoned every ounce of balance that her formidable parents had left her, and that she had further trained and refined throughout her life. And for the love of her immortal soul she also grabbed at any and all foot- or handhold she could reach with the outermost layer of molecules of her nails!!!

But... there is *also* a reason she is not called Tatianna the Lucky, as her experience in the dungeon so far serves to prove.

At the sight of the bottomless abyss yawning below Tatianna, the nerves of her luck finally decided enough is enough and slipped into a long anticipated and much deserved nervous breakdown. (Apparently, nerves *can* have nervous breakdowns themselves.) Fingers sailed through empty space. Booted feet felt crumbling edge give way beneath them. Screaming in horror (and not a little frustration), Tatianna disappeared into that deep, dark demesne of despair!

To this day, I’m sure, if you stand by the edge (but careful now!) and listen, you can still her the rushing sound of her eternal fall.

(She had earned four determination tokens. She spent one lifting the portcullis. So with her Luck of 6, she needed to roll a 9 or lower. She rolled 12…)

—————————

Meanwhile, in another part of the dungeon…

Hugo the Glorious had more luck than Tatianna, even considering the wounds he suffered from fighting a hideous troll! Until he came across a collapsed room. Walking around the crumbled mess, trying to find a way around it to the exits he could sense were on the other side, the floor suddenly vanished beneath him, and he was dropped into the maze of the catacombs below.

In the catacombs, his luck returned. It did not take him long to locate an exit and he emerged back into the dungeon proper. Almost next to the dragon’s treasure chamber! A short while later (and helped by a corridor curiously rotating in place), he entered the treasure chamber. It was magnificent. Huge. Larger than life.

So was the dragon.

Very quietly, he grabbed some nearby treasure. But before he could take some more, a nagging thought finally (though still quietly) managed to grab his instinct of self-preservation by the ears and look it deep in the eyes and say: “Oh my. Look. At. The. TIME!!!”

A cold sweat broke out all over Hugo (quietly), and he decided to beat a hasty (but still quiet and careful!) retreat. The sun had passed its zenith and he was a loooong way from the exit!

But the Dungeon seemed to sense his haste. And it did its best to thwart him… Trying to find a path back to his exit, the corridors all seemed to turn the wrong way, or end in rooms with no other exits, so he had to backtrack. The finest stroke came when he entered a circular room and found that it too had no other exit. But instead, the Dungeon turned the room around and when it stopped, only a bare wall met him where the room’s exit should have been.

Now slightly panicky, Hugo search the room. Some of his luck returned, and he found a secret door! He escaped from the circular room that had tried to trap him and set out once more in his race against the sun. Which he could feel dropping below the fir tops in the forest outside the Dragonfire Dungeon. Soon the shadows would touch the entrance and close it forever…

The dungeon was not done with its games though. Again and again it tried to lead him away from the exit. Hugo realized that he had but one chance to make it out! He had to trust his luck once more.

And it held! He found *another* secret door that let him escape what seemed to be the Dungeon’s dastardly plan to lead him back to the dragon. Quickly he crossed the room, only to be met with another hindrance! The floor was torn in two and his direct way to the exit was impossible to reach! And the shadows lengthened outside, like claws reaching to rend hope from anyone still inside the dungeon!

But was the exit really impossible to reach? Hugo showed why he was called the Glorious and activated a magic rune he had brought with him. ZAPPP! And he was now standing just inside the next room, the final room he had to cross to be able to throw himself out of this hellish place! Quickly now!

Or maybe not so quickly… A chasm opened in the floor, running from wall to wall and like the previous room blocking his further progress - except for a slender wooden beam that had been laid across the chasm.

Suddenly, he could hear the ill-fated sound of the heavy doors to the outside slooooooowly swinging shut!

All he had to do was to cross the chasm. On the wooden beam.

Always a man of action, he determined to wager all and to cross the beam quickly. But also a careful man, he also (crying silently) divested himself of all but the single most valuable of the treasures, to lighten his load and make it easier to keep his balance. Keeping only a valuable rune scarab, he stepped out on the wooden beam….!

*Squitsch…*

“I’M GONNA KILLE THE F***ING RAT WHO LEFT ITS TURD ON THIS BEAM!!!!”

To his servants waiting outside, those were the final words heard from Hugo the Glorious, as he fell back down into the catacombs. As he got to his feet, he could just hear the hollow thump-roar when the doors to the outside finally closed and sealed his fate…

A lesser man would have cried. Or shouted (some more). Or just sat down to await the inevitable.

But Hugo was made of stronger stuff. And besides, before he could succumb to the darkness and the despair, he had a score to settle with a certain rat…!!!

(Edit: corrected error regarding Tatiannas last test.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regényi Mátyás
Hungary
Sopron
Győr-Moson-Sopron
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Haha, thanks for the session report. I hope you will write more, it was quite enjoyable reading this.

Hmm, maybe I should play some DQ this afternoon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
12-4 = 8.

...so Tatiana lives on?

Edit: never mind. I see what you're saying there modest

Great session! Don't you hate it when you're a single move away and BAM!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Ah, my bad. I wrote the wrong stat. It is of course not agility but luck that decides if you survive an encounter with the bottomless pit. So a luck score of 6 and then 3 determination tokens to spend (because I'm confident she just had to roll 9 or lower). That means that she also burned one of the tokens on the portcullis. Which makes sense, since I seem to recall rolling a 5 for that test (finally).

Hmmm, I need to edit the story to correct the mistake....

----------------------

EDIT: story corrected!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
matzi1 wrote:
Haha, thanks for the session report. I hope you will write more, it was quite enjoyable reading this.

Hmm, maybe I should play some DQ this afternoon...

You're welcome!

If you like my writing style, you may find this session report of Eldritch Horror to your liking as well:

Growing dread and looming despair - Not by might of arms shall the Night be held at bay, but by wit and determination and sheer dumb luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.