Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I really love a lot about this game. That's my review. We've played the first two scenarios twice each, and had fun both times. We found that replaying with some new people was plenty of fun.

That said, there's a few things I really wish for in the future for this game. These might be a bit spoilery (at least in the obvious sense that they don't exist yet...), but I won't go into specific details about the missions:

1) Expansion boxes that fit expansions. The Marcy Case comes in a box that is the wrong size for storing The Marcy Case. I can make one stack, in which case the lid doesn't close, or two stacks so the cards slide around and get mixed up.

2) More original historical settings. All of human history is accessible to this game. Let's go someplace I don't already have multiple games set in.

3) No additional fantastical elements. I think the time travel element is enough magic/scifi/mystical/fantasy elements. I wish the scenarios left it there.

4) A sense of historical consequences. This could just be a paragraph in the base - like "if you don't save this one Babylonians then humans will never invent beer." Or, even cooler could be a mechanic similar to Chrononauts where you see the effects of your actions on a timeline by flipping cards.

5) Consequences between missions. This may still happen. But I'd love it if sometime during 1992 you found out that because you did some appeared-pointless-at-the-time side quest in 1927 there was something different now. Not a big thing, necessarily, but the sense that our actions are part of this world.

6) A few components decisions. The use of the same symbols for the tokens and revealing is confusing, and encourages errors (do I always get to flip that one card on future runs? or do I have to do the thing again?) The player pawns are bizarrely tall for no reason. It's really hard to tell the difference between the black and dark blue tokens.

7) Less randomness in the tests. I get why it's useful to have a random element in the game. But if for example, having an ability of 3 meant you got 2-4 successes instead of 0-6 the game would be less frustrating, I think. In addition, there's the strange fact that having a higher ability level makes you more likely to take more damage on a test (more opportunity to roll skulls). We may just house rule this so you get n-1 auto-successes + 1 die roll.

8) More, smaller puzzles and clues. So you have a choice of paths you can take. One of them results in tu-wasting combat, one has a crucial quest item. It would be great if there were more clues in the game to which things were necessary or not. Often, it feels like we just have to try everything the first time, rather than encouraging us to think carefully and be rewarded all the way through. It does some of this, but more would be great.

What are other people's wishlists?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one would like to see more "realistic" historial scenarios without all the need to include "fantastical" stuff.

I also want more smaller puzzles. The one in Asylum was too much. I've ran the game now for 5 groups, and it literally stopped the game for 30 minutes while the group solved it, causing a massive interruption to gameflow and some players to become bored.

Smaller puzzles, or more subtle ones like in Marcy. Was disappointed by the on puzzle in PoD being solved in 10 seconds, and the one in Mask was also a tad disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I also really like the purely historical approach, which is why 'Under the Mask' is one of my favourites. I know some find it boring but I think it realized its historical setting very well and if some people don't find that compelling in itself, well... my teacher used to have a saying: "it's not the {game} that's boring, it's you". Some people need to broaden their horizons. Not everything needs to be fantasy all of the time.

Beyond that I want MUCH more variety in terms of settings. All but one so far has been 20th century! I especially want to see some future settings: I would love one set on a moonbase perhaps or on an early planet colony.

Mostly, I want them to just release these things regularly! I have people keen to play and I feel like they're not capitalizing enough on the game's popularity. I hope they can get their act together for regular releases in future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono Naito
United States
Red Hook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I want boxed sets. Multiple episodes in a campaign (like LeGons Ancients) or thematically different stories that build up a mini-arc (catch a double-agent in the TIME Agency). It likely is cheaper to pack and print if more than one went in the same box (per story at least), and it could scratch a lot of itches for a deeper story arc. I'd be very on board with a Kickstarter for such a boxed set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Mostly, I want them to just release these things regularly! I have people keen to play and I feel like they're not capitalizing enough on the game's popularity. I hope they can get their act together for regular releases in future.

This so much
They told us the next will be released in May!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:
...could be a mechanic similar to Chrononauts where you see the effects of your actions on a timeline by flipping cards.

That would be an excellent add-on. I'd make the timeline tied to the outcome of the mission, too, with more than one result possible.

camipco wrote:
Consequences between missions. This may still happen. But I'd love it if sometime during 1992 you found out that because you did some appeared-pointless-at-the-time side quest in 1927 there was something different now. Not a big thing, necessarily, but the sense that our actions are part of this world.

I like that idea, too.

I prefer realistic elements over fantastical ones. That's said with a grain of salt - we are talking about a game about time travel, after all. It's just easier for me to "suspend my disbelief" when it's something that's closer to reality than farther from reality. By contrast, one of the people in the group I play with is more excited for the "Batman" fan created mission than any of the official expansions, so my opinion is not in perfect alignment even with my immediate gaming circle.

The expansion I'd MOST like to see is a mini campaign that jumps you into a location similar to the base game's "Asylum", then returns you to base, jumps you into a second location, then back to Base, then into a third location. I'd love to see something like "The DaVinci Code" in theme and locations. Start at the Louvre, back to Base, forward to the Sacré Coeur, back to Base, forward to someplace with Catacombs, hidden rooms, etc. Or even just one bigger, longer run through, around and under The Vatican. That'd be neat.

First edit : BBCode fix
Second Edit : Adding : I'd also enjoy seeing an adventure that plays like a Nic Cage "National Treasure" movie --> Start in the Smithsonian, go on to another DC location, then to a 3rd "wilderness" location with a mountaintop, forest, and cave system.

Or an adventure in vieux Québec (the walled city and Chateau Frontenac)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
They told us the next will be released in May!
I'd rather wait a little and get a finished scenario than a quick release with bugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But at least they should tell us, what the problem is. Or anything, I just don't like this silence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.