Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

While I love my collection of metal coins, and have been using the tiny ones pictured to date while playing Pax Pamir, I created a set of period Afghan coins and East India Company rupees of the era, printed them on adhesive film, applied the sheet to illustration board, then cut out and applied the other side of the coin from another print on film.

I haven't cleaned up the edges with sharp edge or sandpaper and marker yet.

And of course, today, I found a 1" Circle punch. If I had sized these appropriately, I could have dispensed with the uneven shapes of the native coins and dispensed with the carpal tunnel syndrome of cutting them all out by hand. Note: I did not try to size them accurately, and even made different sized versions of the same coin. This was proof of concept, mostly.

I am still trying to locate a cheap coin maker. I can provide grayscale art or sculpts if anyone knows a place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I know the image hasn't been approved yet, but I keep checking back for comments.

Then I notice only 6 minutes have passed anyway.

Too much coffee today, perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, eagerly await this image as I've just been thinking about sourcing coins for Pax Pamir. Right now I'm just using the metal 1's and 5's from Orléans: Deluxe Edition. They're not exactly period, but they're not white tiddlywinks either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soulyogurt wrote:
Funny, I know the image hasn't been approved yet, but I keep checking back for comments.

Then I notice only 6 minutes have passed anyway.

Too much coffee today, perhaps.

You should upload it to your private gallery, those images do not go through geekmod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird. I tried to upload some to my game artist gallery, which I thought would be mine, and they all got geekmodded off. Thanks, will try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to have a metal coin set if it is properly done. All sets I see out there make the same mistake: bronze is the smallest coin and gold the biggest... In real life, the gold coin is the smallest! Otherwise the difference in value would become too great. If there ever comes a set of coins which takes this into account, I'm game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I went out and bought some real rupees. Real metal coins truly work for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Persia and Asia Minor coins on this page look excellent, but I don't know if they are still available

https://best-damn-coins-2.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/372...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I went out and bought some real rupees. Real metal coins truly work for me.

Ah, nice.... I prefer period accurate, which is why I never Peso-ed PaxPo, but these will certainly do.

I thought about ordering a couple period coins and seeing if it was cost effective to mold and cast new ones from some cheaper SilverClay.

Edit: clicked through and commented first, whoops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a circle punch able to punch through 2 mm board? By the way, your created coins look very nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the punch wouldn't do it.

*pause*

Well, maybe with a hammer.

Thanks. If only they clinked. Hmmm.... anyone know how to reprogram those little chips in greeting cards and whatnot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I love those coins! As I've said before, if ever there's a fancy edition of Pamir someday, the one deluxe component I would lobby for would be period accurate metal coins. I can't think of any game where the currency is handled as much as in Pamir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will clean up the file and post it when I get a chance. I want to try and size the coins accurately (though I'm afraid they cover too much card real estate in the market then.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
The Persia and Asia Minor coins on this page look excellent, but I don't know if they are still available

https://best-damn-coins-2.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/372...

Just a quick update. These coins arrived in the mail this week. I'm using 40 of the small ones and 9 of the large ones. They have a really nice heft and clink to them. If anything the large ones are a bit too large and shiny for my liking (should have gone with the medium), and I would prefer to just use all of the small coins. But they're very, very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.