21 Posts

Grand Austria Hotel» Forums » General

Subject: Fantastic 2 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
If you are looking for a fantastic 2 player eurogame, search no more. This game is without any doubt one of them. By far our most played game in the last month. You have many things in this box: engine building, dice placing, variety of strategies to win, tension until the end, beautiful design... and one extra little things I very much appreciate: round changing is so fast! Forget about removing dozens of tokens, drafting new cards or resettling the board at the end of each round. None of that will happen, you just exchange the turn order token, move the round marker and roll the dices. Less than 15 seconds. It's a non-stop game from the first round until the end, and believe me you'll wish many times for the end to come later... please, just another round! Man, what a game! The perfect example of an excellent mid-euro for 2-players at the exact level of Castles of Burgundy, Marco Polo or Keyflower to mention some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have different tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed that this is a fantastic dice euro. Totally replaced Castles of Burgundy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

If you don't like Grand Austria Hotel why are you subscribed to its BGG page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't speak for Ali G, but I'm subscribed to anything remotely interesting on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

If you don't like Grand Austria Hotel why are you subscribed to its BGG page?

I'm not. I happened to be on BGG when this thread was on the front page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Rieberghs
Belgium
Turnhout
-- Maak uw keuze --
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
Agreed that this is a fantastic dice euro. Totally replaced Castles of Burgundy for me.

Totally agree to the first part of your comment !!
But it doesn't replace Castles of Burgundy for me, that game stays in my top 5 forever I guess.
The biggest advantage with CoB is that you can play it with 3 or 4 and it's still one of the greatest games ever.
GAH is really excellent with 2 but with 4 players it's not half the fun as it is with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
pfctsqr wrote:

Looks like we do here but I'm sure we agree in others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
dirkske wrote:
Eeeville wrote:

Totally agree to the first part of your comment !!
But it doesn't replace Castles of Burgundy for me, that game stays in my top 5 forever I guess.
The biggest advantage with CoB is that you can play it with 3 or 4 and it's still one of the greatest games ever.
GAH is really excellent with 2 but with 4 players it's not half the fun as it is with 2.

CoB is one of these games that I can be months without playing but when I do I always think "Man! This is perfection in a box!". I dont think I will feel the same for GAH once the 'in love' phase ends. But even with that, GAH upgrades many aspects of CoB to a fresher, faster and simpler level keeping a very similar level of complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Austria is a 10 for me with 2p. The game it totally killed for me was La Granja. Austria's theme and gameplay is just superior for me and I will never get rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Austria is a 10 for me with 2p. The game it totally killed for me was La Granja. Austria's theme and gameplay is just superior for me and I will never get rid of it.

Can't say I disagree there buddy. But I still like Granja a lot and we take it out for a spin every now and then. What I love about Austria is the chaining those long combos, feels good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerritjan Roubos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it's a great 2-player game.
But it not good for color blind people, my son-in-law can't see the difference between Wine- and Strudel cubes on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A "dice determines your actions" game that I like more than GAH or CoB is Bora Bora. The way dice are used in that game, to me, are a little more confrontational. You also don't have that annoying 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1 turn order mechanic. It's 1,2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 each round so the downtime between turns is much less. You also don't have cards with german titles in a font that even the germans cannot read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roubosga wrote:
I agree, it's a great 2-player game.
But it not good for color blind people, my son-in-law can't see the difference between Wine- and Strudel cubes on the cards.

You should pimp out your cubes with dollhouse bits...like me. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
A "dice determines your actions" game that I like more than GAH or CoB is Bora Bora. The way dice are used in that game, to me, are a little more confrontational. You also don't have that annoying 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1 turn order mechanic. It's 1,2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 each round so the downtime between turns is much less. You also don't have cards with german titles in a font that even the germans cannot read.

Love Bora Bora as well. The font is pretty much the ONLY thing wrong with Austria. After a few plays, and you learn the cards, the font is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
How do these all compare with The Voyages of Marco Polo, which no one has mentioned yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of plays of Marco Polo was all I needed to ship it off. Still have my painted camels, though! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB McMichael
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
How do these all compare with The Voyages of Marco Polo, which no one has mentioned yet?

For me, The Voyages of Marco Polo is a better game, but only because it handles all player counts well. If I am looking for just a 2 player game, either one of these will do. About the only deciding factor would be time. Marco Polo takes a bit longer. So if I am looking for a quicker 2 player dice placement game, GAH wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
pfctsqr wrote:

I agree. The game doesnt work at all player count, that's why I said from the beggining "A fantastic 2 player game". I also agree about the non-confrontational fact, but that's not only due to the way dices are used. The only confrontation comes from reaching a bonus before your opponent does, reducing a dice power (or using the last one) or taking a table your opponent might want. All of them mainly minor confrontation situations. But that's not a problem to me because all the mechanics are very well implemented: The use of dice works perfectly, the decision on what guests to take (you must be able to feed them and also they should match the color room you aim for), the extra-workers you hire in order to take advantatge of their skills (even if not well written), the constant thread of the emperor, the bonuses, the option to pass and re-roll with one less dice... too many good things to highlight minor aspects imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
clydeiii wrote:

Marco Polo is another of our favorites. I dont think 2-player is the best, can't say because we only played 2P but it is quite obvious that it gets better with more. But even with that, it's an amazing game mainly because of the different character's power. That changes so many things and makes every game a new challenge. What I like the most about Marco Polo is that at the end of each game me and my GF always end up talking about what we could or not do with the character we had. If you want to buy it I highly (hugely) recommend to get the mini expansion. So much to add with such less money.

Wrote two threads about this game:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1434218/great-birthday-pres...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1469278/thanks-mini-present...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
senorcoo wrote:

La Granja another great game. A bit too dry and repetitive for me at some moments, but a very enjoyable puzzle to solve everytime we play it. And it works perfectly with two. A must-have for any eurogame lover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.