Subject: Worth it for solo only? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone over on the 1 Player Guild brought this game to my attention in a thread where I had asked for game recommendations set in the Middle Ages. Having not really seen or heard much of it, I was wondering what people more familiar with the game thought about it as a solo only option? Before anyone mentions it, I'm aware of the app, but am only interested in the physical version (I sit at a computer all day as it is).

So, worth it? I assume the base game is all I would need, right? Or is this really a multiplayer game? Does the variant keep the feel of the MP game, or alter it significantly?

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonello Piemonte
Germany
munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
not sure, but you could try the digital version which comes with AI opponents

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ortusregni...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O' Ibb
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I haven't bought this (well two reasons) cost & delivery in Europe (but that has been ameliorated by 4Dados in Spain becoming a distributor) plus the lack of opponents.

I love the app though and get some great games in on that.

But the physical copy looks soooooo lovely, but I have a weakness for the era.

I put some thoughts on the app here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
It's like a traditional card game in that you are playing directly against another player. You couldn't play it solo in the same way you can't play Hearts or Magic or Uno solo -- each play is going to be based on the current status and what you think your opponent(s) might have in their hand. You can't just flip cards and then go from there like in, say, solo Ascension of Pandemic. Each player needs a brain (whether organic or artificial).

Maybe someone has figured out a solo variant, but to play anything like the normal Ortus Regni experience, if you have to play solo, the app is your only choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O' Ibb
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cliffy73 wrote:
It's like a traditional card game in that you are playing directly against another player. You couldn't play it solo in the same way you can't play Hearts or Magic or Uno solo -- each play is going to be based on the current status and what you think your opponent(s) might have in their hand. You can't just flip cards and then go from there like in, say, solo Ascension of Pandemic. Each player needs a brain (whether organic or artificial).

Maybe someone has figured out a solo variant, but to play anything like the normal Ortus Regni experience, if you have to play solo, the app is your only choice.

There is an official solo variant

http://ortusregni.com/variant_rules/variant-rebellion.html

so I assumed Colin was asking if anyone had given it a bash?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm looking to hear from those who have tried the Rebellion variant. Though the fact that players are not aware of it doesn't fill me with hope that it's any good. I don't want to try the App first, so if that ends up being the best option, I'll just give the game a pass for now.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're doing yourself a disservice. The app is the only digital implementation of a board/card game I've ever enjoyed, and the game itself is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
You're doing yourself a disservice. The app is the only digital implementation of a board/card game I've ever enjoyed, and the game itself is amazing.

Why? I gave the reason as to why I don't play online games. No matter how good something is, I don't want to spend my free time in front of a screen. I do that for hours and hours each day at work. For me, if the physical game doesn't work solo, then I'll pass. No biggie.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the Rebellion variant once, and I'm really itching to get it back to the table. It's a pretty tough bot! Captures a good part of the 'feel' of the standard game.

I agree on the app, it's fantastic. But I totally understand the desire to get less screen time. I work IT, it's all I can do to avoid screens on my off-hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gatesphere wrote:
I've played the Rebellion variant once, and I'm really itching to get it back to the table. It's a pretty tough bot! Captures a good part of the 'feel' of the standard game.

I agree on the app, it's fantastic. But I totally understand the desire to get less screen time. I work IT, it's all I can do to avoid screens on my off-hours.

I'm no expert on the game (really, only 1/2 way through the Ricky Royal videos), but am I right in saying you could play single or multihanded against the bot? And do you think that multiple different deck designs stand a chance of beating it?

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ortus Regni
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools

Colin, greetings,

Currently the Rebellion solo variant uses one of the Earl Decks as the "King's brain". This system is customizable, in the sense that cards in his brain can be swapped in or out, to try different levels of behavior. His Royal army and also his starting Earldom (cough, Royal Estates) can be played around with, as well.

Because one deck is the King the base set would not, itself, allow you to ramp up to playing multiple Earls against the King. The solo rules themselves do allow for more Earls, but it would require more Earl card decks.

We found it challenging to beat the king. But as we're biased I'll refrain from adding more personal opinion on that score. We do have a good number of variants, and suspect a number of older players are not familiar with all the material we have posted on our website over the last year

You are looking for true solo gaming, so this comment is not germane, but one of the nuances of Rebellion comes out in semi-cooperative play where players have to balance their interest in controlling the king with looking out for the end game against other Earls (once he falls). Chuckle, in that case the King often wins.

( There is some talk on this end of sorting out another solo version. One using the Vikings as the bot opponent. This idea involves a additional PDF mat for their operation. Working title - Northumbria - the first kingdom to fall to them. It is desirable for variety, but also because it leaves the Earl decks for the players and would allow a base set to have 2 Earls in the game. If that is further developed it would not be until later in the fall though. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Thanks for responding. Your information does tilt me towards giving it a try. I always make sure that a game has significant playability solitaire, but I do play games with a group as well. That way, I'm sure to get the most from a game, rather than it just sitting on my shelf.

The WIP second solo variant is obviously appealing, as more ways to play = more chance of it getting played.

Understood on the base game not being enough to play multihanded. However, from what I can tell from your prices, I am at no disadvantage by ordering the base set, and then deciding later to add an expansion, than I am ordering both at once, right? I.e. the risk of ordering the base set only now is zero, as I'm out no more money splitting the purchases. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I went ahead and ordered it. Here's to hoping I like it. I also like to playtest, so if I like it, maybe I could volunteer as a play tester for the Northumbria solo variant.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steal yo
badge
ur face
mbmbmbmbmb
ColintheFlea wrote:
Well, I went ahead and ordered it. Here's to hoping I like it. I also like to playtest, so if I like it, maybe I could volunteer as a play tester for the Northumbria solo variant.

Thanks,

Colin

I don't think you'll regret this purchase. I've never played the solo variant, but OR is a great game and a beautiful game. I believe the designer had mentioned that the design decision to go with cards that have no text opens up the game to have many ways to play and that players can easily create their own games and variants using these cards.

If nothing else, you're purchasing a great looking set of cards and components that you can use as you see fit. Play the game as designed, play official variants, play fan variants or create and play your own variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lundin
msg tools
ColintheFlea wrote:

Thanks,

Colin

Have you played the game yet? If so, what do you think about it? Pros and cons?
I am very interested in this game and like you, I am curious about the solo version.

//Markus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.