Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a document that summarizes the rules differences between Ancients and Battle Cry, please let me know where it is.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt you'll find or get a document... There have been many threads and responses offering comparisons.

Best to search each forum for key words.

My brief synopsis:

Battle Cry is easier to learn and start playing (Less filling)... Ancient offers more tactical options but has a slightly longer learning curve (tastes great)

Napoleonics, The Great War and Samurai Battles are where the C&C system really shines (craft beers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though they share some strong procedural similarities, they are very different games. You'll have a leg up learning one by knowing the other, but that's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find some comparisons. They are of course subjective.
http://daleswargames.blogspot.com.es/2011/11/command-and-col...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=50837

I recommend you to play the one with the thematic that you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Cry is more about using terrain to your advantage and Ancients is more of about using large groups of units in sweeping moves to crush your enemy. They feel very different.

Battle Cry is a bit easier to learn because you have 4 types of units instwad of 12 and simpler combat resolution. For me the civil war is a more appealing theme but I am happy to own both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Cry has only 3 types of units: infantry, cavalry, and artillery, plus leaders. C&CA has over a dozen unit types, many of which have special rules.

C&CA has concepts of support (2 adjacent units allow you to ignore a retreat), evades by cavalry and light infantry, and "battle back", where a unit who is meleed gets to strike back unless it is destroyed or forced to retreat.

Battle Cry is an interesting starter game, as is Memoir 44. I find Ancients to be more satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Ralph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One key rule difference is the order of moving and attacking.
In BC, you move each activated unit then attack with it.
In CCA, you move all your activated units then you attack with activated units.

EDIT:

Also, BC has the "tapering ranged attack damage" whereas CCA has much more limited ranged attacks (which don't taper as a function of distance)

(there is a non-zero chance that I am remembering all this incorrectly, however!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
amg100 wrote:
One key rule difference is the order of moving and attacking.
In BC, you move each activated unit then attack with it.
In CCA, you move all your activated units then you attack with activated units.

No, I'm afraid all the C&C series use the same mechanic: order all, then move all, then attack with all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

You are, of course, correct! I don't know why I though that to the point of making sure I (and everyone else!) played it wrong every time I switched back to Battle Cry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Cry unfortunately doesn't stress the importance of geographical objectives nor the danger of attacking enough.
So you can have the defender go on the attack, in a totally ahistorical way.

In CCA, attacking is at a risk (the defender, if he stands his ground, can battle back) and the way battles develop are closer to the dynamics of the real ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
Battle Cry unfortunately doesn't stress the importance of geographical objectives nor the danger of attacking enough.
So you can have the defender go on the attack, in a totally ahistorical way.

In CCA, attacking is at a risk (the defender, if he stands his ground, can battle back) and the way battles develop are closer to the dynamics of the real ones.

I will respectfully disagree. While Battle Cry could bear a bit more "chrome," I think the current rules capture the essence of Tactics/Grand Tactical Civil War engagements very well, where battles tended to devolve into engagement between individual regiments and brigades. CCA, on the other hand, does a very good job of representing the very brittle nature of most Ancient armies. They are different rule sets for different eras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done a very basic write-up (it's less than one page).

It's not worth publishing, I'm sure, but if anyone wants a copy (which is doubtful, I suspect) IM me.

Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.