Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain the benefit of purchasing either the Arlbergbahn and Semmeringbahn? They don't at all give you a better chance of becoming president of the VB or SD. In fact, your opponents are actually encouraged to start those companies to stop you from getting the revenue from the privates.

So, why do I want to fund what could potentially be someone else's company? Is there something I'm missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Free shares. You get 20%, plus some cash (for one payout) for 170. This has a minimum value that's near the face value of the company.

Also, if you don't buy it, and everyone passes, there's an OR where privates pay out. If this is bad for you, buy it.

There are several privates in several games that are actively bad: part of the goal of the private auction in such games is to avoid taking them. I can't say offhand if 1854 is one of those games, but it's not a given that all things are good to own: there are lemons out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You would actually get at least 2 payouts for those privates because the private doesn't close until the company runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisplacedWorker wrote:
You would actually get at least 2 payouts for those privates because the private doesn't close until the company runs.

Thanks. I missed that. Thought it was operates, but the company actually has to run a train.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured it out. I was pricing it at a 10% share:
170 - 40 = 130 - 93 = $37 Loss
190 - 50 = 140 - 93 = $47 Loss

These are actually 20% shares:
170 - 40 = 130 - 186 = $56 Profit
190 - 50 = 140 - 186 = $46 Profit

So, not a bad option. You also may gain more from this if the companies are not started in the first SR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Plus those companies are likely to sell out which would raise the share price allowing it to hit the split line faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.