Subject: Any games like TS to recommend? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preferably by the same designers.

I only recently discovered the joy of TS. I tried taking a look at GMT's website, but got lost in the plethora of games - a lot of which may or may not be all that good. There is literally a ton of games and additions on their website.

I am interested in themes like the two World Wars; but preferably, the First over the 2nd. 19th-century setting also suits just fine.

I am also not interested in a Twilight Imperium 3-length and complex game which would possibly take up a whole day, or require multiple sessions; which appears to be the case with Paths of Glory. No game that breaks the 5-hour limit (on average, not including the learning playthrough).

Also please do not recommend me old and out-of-print product as the technicalities of living in a quasi-third world make it exceedingly difficult to acquire those (nigh impossible). So in real consideration are only new games / recent reprints.

Additionally, and this is not a necessary requirement in my opinion, I would like something which could potentially introduce a 3rd player or so. I'm primarily a 2-player gamer, but more than once I'd like to bring that joy of three people partaking in TS. Though not really necessary, I guess (it seems most of these games appear to be designed for two players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Grrr
mbmbmbmbmb
New game very similiar to TS just about to be released is:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/177590/13-days-cuban...

Also look at "Churchill" and "Triumph and Glory" both from GMT and in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.gmtgames.com/p-599-imperial-struggle.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jake11Simon wrote:

Also look at "Churchill" and "Triumph and Glory" both from GMT and in print.

Did you mean Triumph and Tragedy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Grrr
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks. Triumph and Glory is a rather complex Napoleonic wargame system, not at all like TS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1989 may not be based on a war, but the mechanics are very similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had fun with:

We the People (I think the current GMT edition is titled "Washington's War")
Successors (GMT, accommodates two to five I think)
The Napoleonic Wars (GMT, accommodates up to six I think)

Perhaps you can also find:

Hannibal (I have an old AH version, but I think there is a newer edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Labyrinth: The War on Terror is a card driven game that has a lot of similar mechanics to Twilight Struggle. It's a completely different game, but you can definitely see the influence. Be aware the learning curve is a lot higher than TS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1960: The Making of the President

Reprint coming soon from GMT Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For a less James Bond take on the Cold war you could try Wir sind das Volk!, another CDG game, about the economic rivalry between GDR and West Germany. Thematically, it is just as striking as Twilight Struggle. Mechanically, it is extremely asymmetrical and it feels like a tennis game between The Twins played by Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito, with a much weaker GDR playing all the tricks in the book and then some to counter the gigantic economic potential of West Germany and the mesmerising glitter of West Berlin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Gottwald
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
This may be longshot, but suprisingly we found out, that Cole Wehrle's Pax Pamir kinda scratches the itch. It's more tableu-building area control card game, quicker, meaner, great with two (with optional rules). The availability may be the problem, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OhBollox wrote:

That's out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest to TS are 1989: Dawn Of Freedom, 1960: The Making Of The President and 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis. Probably in that order. 1989 is VERY similar. 1960 is mechanically similar but has a different feel. 13 Days is similar but MUCH shorter.

Nothing really beats TS though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 1989: Dawn of Freedom, Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?, 1960: The Making of the President, Wir sind das Volk! and Pax Pamir
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis is supposed to be a TS light
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As of the WW1 Game you should try this one https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11202/first-world-wa...

The First World War game looks very simple compared to the Paths of Glory or similar games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sekigahara: the Unification of Japan
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25021/sekigahara-uni...

Not world war, exclusively 2 player...but it is GOOD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
Jake11Simon wrote:

Sargeras777 wrote:

No, it's not out. And it's a little premature to say it's "about to be released". It was just announced last month. Although the pre-orders shot through the roof, it will be a while before it hits the streets. From experience, I'd say we'd be lucky to see it in 9 months, but most probably will be a Q4 2017 release, at the soonest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found that Star Wars: Rebellion has a similar feeling, being a tight 2p game with asymmetrical card play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
Here I Stand is an excellent, multi player game. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17392/here-i-stand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob lawblaw
msg tools
Highly recommend Paths of Glory.
I've played about 10 GMT games now, and while I enjoy them all immensely, I would say PoG is the only one that captures the same "fun factor" as Twilight Struggle. It's war - so you've got armies instead of influence - but a lot of it's quite a lot like TS though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelVal wrote:
Here I Stand is an excellent, multi player game. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17392/here-i-stand

I doubt this satisfies OP's first criteria

Sargeras777 wrote:
not Twilight Imperium 3-length and complex game which would possibly take up a whole day, or require multiple sessions; which appears to be the case with Paths of Glory. No game that breaks the 5-hour limit (on average, not including the learning playthrough).

or the second

Sargeras777 wrote:
Also please do not recommend me old and out-of-print product as the technicalities of living in a quasi-third world make it exceedingly difficult to acquire those (nigh impossible). So in real consideration are only new games / recent reprints.

"Here I Stand" has been unavailable for few years (2015 Reprint Edition has been sitting motionless on GMT's P500 for quite some time). Prices for second hand are substantial.

Same goes for Hannibal some people suggested. Last version dates back to 2007.

Edit: Although more complex than TS, I think Cuba Libre could be a nice option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have immediately said 1989: Dawn of Freedom but even around 8 games in, we still are barely finishing a game in 5 hours... The theme is less interesting (although, the OP does live in that part of the world, so maybe it would be as interesting), but I find it's mechanically much better, less edge scenario based. In particular, I find the game play to be more emergent than TS given how asymmetrical the sides are and how scoring regions are removed if the Democrat wins them (see terms and conditions).

Baring that, 1960 is good and also from Matthews, but I find it is generally a considerably smaller load of tension than TS. Wir Sind Das Volk is also very good, but I don't find it feels much like what you get from TS in terms of paying into regions and having hand management.

For that healthy dose of tension, brinksmanship, and contemplation related to not knowing what someone is going to do, the best short game I have found that gives me that is The King Is Dead. Plays in 30ish minutes, handles 2-4 rather well across the spectrum, and is available. The mordred variant keeps the 2p game interesting for experienced players and works well at other player counts also. My first few games of TKiD felt like my first few games of TS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? is a brilliant Card Driven Wargame with Ideas taken trom Twilight Struggle. Game length is set by the players to some degree, the one deck game is probably around 3 hours.

Cuba Libre is your best bet for a good multiplayer game. The system is brilliant. Play time 3-5 hours.

Washington's War is a reworking of the original Card Driven Wargame which Twilight Struggle derives from. Play is about 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And how does Triumph and Tragedy compare (not really according to rules, but the fun, rather), among you who had the chance to play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.