Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just uploaded the files needed to play the second edition of the game, and they should appear shortly.

The core of the game is the same, but I've been wanting to add more story and more replayability for quite some time. All in all it amounts to the following changes:

Multiplayer
You can now play more than one player. I suggest 1-3 to avoid too much downtime.

Characters
You now play a specific character. Each character has both a benefit and a drawback.

New route
Instead of a fixed route, you now move through the different districts in random order. More districts can be added later.

Safe House events
You no longer know exactly what happens in a safe house.

Items
I've added items you can gain through events.

Stress cards
Stress cards are triggered when specific things happen and always have a negative effect. In a multiplayer game you are not allowed to reveal your stress card until triggering it, and it might inform your opinion on what to roll for.

2nd edition is currently in beta meaning that it looks like shit. It's playable, but it's not nice. Also, some of the new things (specifically the multiplayer rules) are yet to be tested properly. It is my hope that you'll be willing to help me test it and provide feedback so that I can improve the second edition even further.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
/me taps his fingers on the table.

how *long* does it take BGG to approve file uploads? :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Jornet
Spain
Valencia
Comunidad Valenciana
flag msg tools
The sword is the mind. If the mind is right, the sword is right.
mbmbmbmbmb
Less than one day usually
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I obviously should have waited with the post, but the administration are usually so fast. Sorry to keep you waiting

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not going to delete/replace the solo-only game files, are you? I love playing that game!

Although I will also try out the multi-player version, since it allows solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing will be deleted. Also, 2nd Ed works perfectly fine as a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. The new games sounds good, from what you wrote about it.

But one of the advantages of the original game is that it is quick, easy to make, and has a small footprint while still being a lot of fun, so I can see wanting to play both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there are so many changes, and since you probably don't want to give it a different name, have you considered calling the new version Dice of the Living Dead Advanced, or something else other than 2nd edition -- so that people will easily realize that it is more complicated and has more content? You could even include the original game in with it as a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is definitely a possibility. I do, however, like simply calling it 2nd edition since it sends a clear signal that it's the same game (and it really is), but that a lot of things have changed.

I agree, by the way, about the footprint being a plus when it comes to the original version. But I really wanted to expand on the feeling of going through a specific narrative, and that required a few extra components.

Now we'll see how testing goes and what it can end up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Fingers crossed a certain user zombie will jump on board for a massive graphical overhaul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
AntandBeeandtheABC wrote:
Fingers crossed a certain user zombie will jump on board for a massive graphical overhaul.

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome! I took the liberty of using your graphics for the card backs, but I'm very obviously not skilled at graphics and layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
still waiting for files :whistle:

Rob, you have skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aheh.

From experience with file uploading to BGG I can tell you it can take anywhere from a day. To a week, to a month at worst depending on the backlog. Rarely more than a week though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Files are up! Sorry, I just assumed that you'do all know the moment I got the geek mail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, has anybody in this thread had the time to try the new version? At some point I really want to make it better looking, but not until I know that it's mechanically sound. And I can only test it myself for balance, not for experience since I obviously think my own games are awesome :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mads b. wrote:
So, has anybody in this thread had the time to try the new version? At some point I really want to make it better looking, but not until I know that it's mechanically sound. And I can only test it myself for balance, not for experience since I obviously think my own games are awesome :-)

I haven't assembled the cards yet but I am really enjoying the modular tile boards. I enjoy the variety/mix and want more location tiles!
I've been rolling the Scavanger die if I land on a Compass and a D6 chooses Mall/Gas/House event choice once I reach the Safe area. I do plan on trying the full 2nd edition ruleset eventually and will report back when I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Larry.
I have and idea that the district tiles should be double sided, but maybe shuffling is a bit difficult that way. But personally I like that you don't quite know what will come and that it's easy to make special rules for a specific part of the city.

I like the idea of rolling an event that doesn't neccesarily fit with the district. Really there is no game reason for it other than my sense of things fitting together.

But if you only roll the scavenger die on the compasses, don't you get way to few ressources? Or do you simply roll it once more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I rolled it again if I landed on the compass. It was a quick way to play the map and I imagined my party coming across an abandoned car and finding goodies in the trunk or some similar event. Since the 'safe' house can trigger zombie attacks finding an extra cache of ammor or supplies wasn't too much of a balance break. Not to mention you risk more infection when rolling that die but I liked the extra roll. I never win at this game so having an extra die roll didn't bother me

Looking forward to more tiles in the future. I also look forward to trying the full 2nd edition soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello! So I assembled everything and just finished my first solo playthrough, on which I am already dead two turns in. The rules don't say anything about starting with survivors, supplies or ammo. Do I start alone and helpless?

Also, the special rule for the Industrial Zone says "a scavenger result of one supply gives nothing" -- does that apply to Event Tokens, or only to scavenger rolls?

Lastly, for now, the list of components refers to "6 safe house cards," and later the rules refer to drawing events when in a safe house. I have 12 safe house cards here in hand, four each of three locations. I believe I understand what I am to do if I ever live long enough to make it to a safe house, but it does look as though you need to update to rules to match the components. Or update components to match the rules...

Anyhow, Back to the Fray! I think I will award myself companions to start with... And maybe just a little ammo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Hello! So I assembled everything and just finished my first solo playthrough, on which I am already dead two turns in. The rules don't say anything about starting with survivors, supplies or ammo. Do I start alone and helpless?

Also, the special rule for the Industrial Zone says "a scavenger result of one supply gives nothing" -- does that apply to Event Tokens, or only to scavenger rolls?

Lastly, for now, the list of components refers to "6 safe house cards," and later the rules refer to drawing events when in a safe house. I have 12 safe house cards here in hand, four each of three locations. I believe I understand what I am to do if I ever live long enough to make it to a safe house, but it does look as though you need to update to rules to match the components. Or update components to match the rules...

Anyhow, Back to the Fray! I think I will award myself companions to start with... And maybe just a little ammo.

Thank you for your feedback!

First of all: you begin the game with 12 survivors, 6 ammo, and 6 supplies. This should obviously have been in the rules, but somehow I forgot. Maybe because it used to be pre-printed on the game sheet.

Industrial zone: this special rule only apply to the Scavenger Die. So if you get supplies from event tokens, no change is made.

The idea with the safe house cards is that you cut the 6 cards and then each card has two results. I can see that it looks like you should cut them into small cards with just one event, but the line is simply a divider. The reason for having two events on a single card is simply to save space.

I'll update new rules right away.

cheers
mads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! I came up with two more thoughts after playing some more last night -- I can find only one trigger for taking an item card (it's in factory). Is that correct? Also, I think solo would be more fun if the rules allowed switching characters at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice catch. You can begin the game with Map of Town. For an easier game, you can also take first aid kit. The two other items are connected to the same event.

I don't see anything wrong with switching characters, but that would be cheating if you play with the doctor :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.