Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » General

Subject: As a solo game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
How well does this game work solo? I'm sure this has been discussed but I didn't find the forum. If there is one, please point me in that direction. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love it as a solo game. It's the only way I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's excellent as a solo game. I'm not someone who generally enjoys solitaire games, but this one is definitely an exception. It scales very nicely at all player counts and you can tweak the difficulty with some of the promos packs that have been released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O' Ibb
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very good as a solo game, check out the entries in the 1 Player Guild (SGOYT):

http://sgoyt.onesuponagame.com/detail/game/121921/robinson-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-op games play particularly well solo and this is a particularly good co-op game IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antanas
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely not agree with the statement above that it scales nicely at all player counts. Different player counts affect the difficulty of the game.

Having said that, the game still works well with any player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, this is a great solo game. Note that while the rules have an accommodation for playing with one character, I feel the game is richer when controlling two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lebryant wrote:
I'd definitely not agree with the statement above that it scales nicely at all player counts. Different player counts affect the difficulty of the game.

Having said that, the game still works well with any player count.

It may affect the difficulty, but there are still ways to even that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Okami
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to it being a great solo game, I'll add that playing solo is certainly the most thematic way to play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially so if you have the Rum starting item. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an excellent solo game, one of my favourites.

But don't take my word for it- 93% of people recommend the game for 1 player, according to the poll on the main game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
I started playing it solo, and enjoyed it very much. The reason, I discontinued playing it solo after beating the first two scenarios (first with three different characters, second with two) was not, that I disliked it, but I wanted to not "learn it out" to much for the experience with other players.

I had a few games since, some with 3, some with 4 players, and I agree, that they play and feel very different and need a different focus. So maybe I will play it again solo in the future, but for now I prefer it in company for the social experience. But it is a great solo game never the less. And I would highly recommend starting solo, even if you want to play it in a group. Teaching is much easier that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youren
United States
Lincoln City
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have owned it for a week and I play solo only. I am thrilled with it even though I have only played the basic castaways scenario to this point. Two plays as a single character with Friday and the dog. One play with two characters. Really enjoyed both. Can't recommend this one enough.thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this game and love it solo, the island love to punish you, beat you down and for good measure throw you down a cliff before kick a fire ant nest on top of you.

My group also really liked it, however another group I know of hated how punishing the island was, very little in this game works in your favor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
manningm01 wrote:
How well does this game work solo? I'm sure this has been discussed but I didn't find the forum. If there is one, please point me in that direction. Thanks!

I love this game solo, but I recommend playing with two characters or houseruling, as it is solo play is much easier than multiplayer, you get your character, the dog and Friday but only your character eats, food is almost never a problem which removes a lot of the tension from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
It plays very different, maybe it is even easier, but for start I would recommend playing it by the original rules.

Yes, food becomes seldom an issue. But this also means hunting is hardly useful and you hardly get any hides to build, so need more wood instead. The dog is of little help because of that, and just as long as you are exploring.

What is REALLY helping in solo mode though is, that morale is always up, you never need to tidy the camp, and swim in determination tokens to use your skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
manningm01 wrote:

I love this game solo, but I recommend playing with two characters or houseruling, as it is solo play is much easier than multiplayer, you get your character, the dog and Friday but only your character eats, food is almost never a problem which removes a lot of the tension from the game.

This, plus you always have lots of determination tokens with the morale bumping up automatically every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.