Hide
21 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » General

Subject: 4 Player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Day Life
msg tools
Is this really 3 and 4 player? Why dose everyone tell me it is a two player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is "everyone"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
Who is "everyone"?

that doesn't answer my question in any way. Why even post it? Just to be a jerk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Who is "everyone"?

that doesn't answer my question in any way. Why even post it? Just to be a jerk?

Because you can easily answer your own question just by looking at the game page (which you had to be on in the first place in order to post this thread). Whoever "everyone" is would have to be more reliable or be some kind of higher authority to the BGG game page information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
the game page also says that it plays best with 2 and 3 of the 3 reviews I read said they same thing, but nothing said exactly why.

So again, I am asking from people that play it.. Is this a true 4 player game or not.. and what are your opinions of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally it is a two player game. The down time increases quite a bit when you add in the extra players. I guess what folks are saying is it is better as a two player game...but you can play it with more. Why? Down time would be my primary concern. But if you go in knowing that...playing with multiple people can be quite fun.

Three player game with Romulan Expansion

EIGHT Player game with both Expansions. (4 hour game at a convention)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree that the only play experience issue would be the time. Just be aware you need expansions to do this properly, and a solid block of time, but it works well, with no inherent balance issues at four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Do you need the expansions to play 4, I think there is Romulan and Dominion... I didn't know there was 8 factions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Each faction can handle 2 players. So the base box can do a 4 player game...6 player with one expansion and 8 player with both expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
Do you need the expansions to play 4, I think there is Romulan and Dominion... I didn't know there was 8 factions

You do not NEED all the expansions to play 4 people. You'll just have to do a team fight of 2 federation and 2 klingon players, which requires a slight adjustment to your rules. I think you share a combined 3 actions as a team? Each member has their own deck and their own fleet, but you also share points as well. I also bump up the fleet values and vp totals to 18 to give everyone a better fleet. You draw the 18 points of ships and divy them up how you want between the 2 of you.

If you want to do a 4 player match where everyone has their own faction, then yes you would need both expansions.

I will say that timewise playing a 4 player game as EITHER teams or on your own takes a lot more time. Easily 3+ hours of time, with a lot of downtime between your turns if everyone is on their own team.

I've done a 6 player team game as well, and that took way too long and was not fun either. Almost 5 hours with tons of downtime between turns.

Just as a warning. I don't mind 4 player team games, but 4 player with everyone separate wasn't super fun. 2-3 with each person running a faction is perfect for me.

Also, ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW I remain convinced it works best as a 3 player game; it's far more interesting strategically with three factions as opposed to just two. And four factions is just too much downtime in our experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As I also commented in another thread, I'll side with Chris on this one.

The core Fleet Captains game is a fantastic game with 2 players! (I have never tried it with four... just have never found three other people interested enough to play it).

But when you add the Romulan expansion, it becomes a superb three player experience! (Or, spectacularly superb, as you Brits would say)!

So yeah, playing with the Romulans vs the Federation vs the Klingons, is much better than only the Federation vs the Klingons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd add that we really enjoy the Dominion as well and that makes a great 3 player game too.

bgm1961 wrote:

As I also commented in another thread, I'll side with Chris on this one.

The core Fleet Captains game is a fantastic game with 2 players! (I have never tried it with four... just have never found three other people interested enough to play it).

But when you add the Romulan expansion, it becomes a superb three player experience! (Or, spectacularly superb, as you Brits would say)!

So yeah, playing with the Romulans vs the Federation vs the Klingons, is much better than only the Federation vs the Klingons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one 2 team, 4 players, game and it was a blast. All the players let their teammates play without management and everyone was in a great joking, take that mood. Probably the most fun STFC game I've had. Give it a try but mention that everyone flies their own ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Day Life,

You could have set some preferences in your original question for what you personally want out of a 3 and 4 player game, to get more specific answers. Just on game length alone, different people have different ideas of how long they will allow for a "longer" game.

But as they say above, if you are willing to play a longer game, it works just fine! Of course, if the publisher had made more expansions, we'd know more about this...not seeing another one for the 50th Anniversary this month was particularly disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Jon,

I've seen you mention elsewhere about your desire/expectation that WizKids release more expansions for STFC. I agree with you that doing so on the 50th Anniversary should've been a given!!!!

But I sense your desire goes beyond that expectation... I sense that the two current expansions aren't providing enough gameplay for you? Or is it that they're not providing enough variety?

I ask because personally, I've still yet to buy the Dominion expansion. And that's probably due to my circumstances... I don't have a whole lot of opportunity to play the game, actually. So I find that when I do, the three factions which exist with the Romulan expansion seem to always scratch the itch at the time.

So have you found that even with the addition of the Dominion expansion, that the game needs more? And is this simply a matter of playing the game as many times as you do, that you want something different? Or is it that the Dominion expansion doesn't quite "cut it" for you, and so want something different?

For me, personally, at the top of my wish list for Wiz Kids to act on, is to give us an updated official FAQ, before they give us another expansion! (Or I would welcome both at the same time)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry,

For me as a gamer, STFC is fine as it is. I also enjoy The Dominion. Its true that as you say, I've played it many times. We've even tried a custom DS9 scenario linking to another quadrant!

yuk But as a Trekker, I'd like to see more. Most of the Deep Space Nine crew are missing, etc. I'd just assumed more would come. But Wiz Kids is apparently busy making money with the ships for their tactical game, and doesn't care to market the follow up to a high end board game, even if its a good one. One wonders why they published it in the first place. There's a chance that had they continued expansions once a year, I wouldn't have even gotten into ST Ascendancy.

cool In contrast, GF9 has two STA expansions coming in October already, and has already teased more, plus floated the idea of Borg and Dominion as an NPC (which might also enable official solitaire and 2 Player games methinks). What a contrast! Having played and collected all of their Firefly, I knew they would support their game more properly. Its always nice to get one product from one company that adequately covers a topic/franchise/period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Barry,

For me as a gamer, STFC is fine as it is. I also enjoy The Dominion. Its true that as you say, I've played it many times. We've even tried a custom DS9 scenario linking to another quadrant!

yuk But as a Trekker, I'd like to see more. Most of the Deep Space Nine crew are missing, etc. I'd just assumed more would come. But Wiz Kids is apparently busy making money with the ships for their tactical game, and doesn't care to market the follow up to a high end board game, even if its a good one. One wonders why they published it in the first place. There's a chance that had they continued expansions once a year, I wouldn't have even gotten into ST Ascendancy.

cool In contrast, GF9 has two STA expansions coming in October already, and has already teased more, plus floated the idea of Borg and Dominion as an NPC (which might also enable official solitaire and 2 Player games methinks). What a contrast! Having played and collected all of their Firefly, I knew they would support their game more properly. Its always nice to get one product from one company that adequately covers a topic/franchise/period.

I keep being tempted by STA but since most of my gaming is 2 player I tend to buy games that support 2 player very well even when supporting more. Hard to resist this one though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

chas59 wrote:

Jon,

Great answers. Thx!

Yeah, I get where you're coming from wrt being a gamer vs being a trekkie. And when you combine the two ("Trekkie-Gamer"), I understand the desire for additional expansions "just because"! I guess if I was able to play ST:FC more often, I too would want not only the Dominion expansion, but more!

But even if Wiz Kids did publish an expansion for ST:FC every 12-18 months, I'd still get into Ascendancy and recommend it to other Trekkie-Gamers! The reason of course, is other than ST:A being an excellent game in its own right, the two games provide two very different Star Trek experiences while catering to two different audiences.

You may've seen me comment about this in a different thread (don't remember where), but ST:FC is more of a thematic, true Star Trek game that puts the player inside the TOS/TNG story arcs. From a perspective of history, these arcs are relatively short and micro in their scope. Plus your actions in the game are micro - in the sense that each of your actions affects only a single ship and the path that that ship and crew take.

Now compare to ST:A, where at least during my one play thus far I got the impression that it carries you across generations of Star Trek history. The game is macro, covering a much wider arc from an historical perspective. Your actions are macro - in the sense that an action can affect an entire fleet, can warp time space, and can affect the path of an entire population or generation.

IOW, whereas the scope of ST:FC is about operational tactics, crewmembers, and ships; the scope of ST:A is about grand strategy, generations, and fleets. Plus also, ST:A is designed and molded to fit the 4X style of game, whereas ST:FC is designed to fit the theme of classic Star Trek.

Bottom Line: The comparison boils down to well-implemented theme vs well-implemented 4X. So if you're a Trekkie-Gamer, there's definitely room for both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
chas59 wrote:
STFC, GF9, STA

I do not know what all these acronyms stand for...

STFC = Star Trek: Fleet Captains?
STA = Star Trek: Ascendancy?
GF9 = ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GF9 = Gale Force Nine, a New Zealand based publisher of Star Trek Ascendancy and other well received games such as Firefly.

You've got the others correct!

Yes, we should be more careful when throwing around acronyms!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.