Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 560: Miraculous Return
5-Player Exodus Game to Ionian Nebula
including Personal Goals, Final Fives, and the Cylon Fleet Board

Welcome to BSG 560: Miraculous Return

Rules and Guidelines:

d10-1 In order to participate, you must own a copy of the base game and the Exodus expansion,

per FFG request. If you need card text at some point, just GeekMail me.

d10-2 You are expected to subscribe to this thread and to check in at least once every 24 hours, preferably more.

Discussion between players is highly encouraged. However, if there's no active discussion, I'll send you a reminder at 24 hours, and make your move for you at 36. If this happens too much, I'll replace you. If you warn me or the thread about slow play, we'll be patient. =)

d10-3 All communication between players must occur in this thread ONLY. Follow typical play-by-forum conventions when posting.

This includes always making it clear what character you are speaking as by including an appropriate banner at the top of each post. Banners created by DukeOfEarl et al. are available here. If you are mobile, please type your character name in caps at the top of your post. Other pictures for adding flavor can be found in this compilation.

Courtesy of Mike Bonn, here's an amazing script that makes it super-easy to add those banners to your posts:
Mike_Bonn wrote:

1) Click on "Edit" on the top right of your screen to Edit your quick bar.

2) Chose an empty spot and fill label with "My Banner" and add the following text to the URL :

Quote:
javascript: (function() {var b = '[ImageID=xxxxxx medium]'; var t = document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')[0]; t.value = b+'\r\n'+t.value;})();

3) Replace "xxxxxx" with the ImageId you want to use as your banner. I used 565008 to generate the one in this post.

4) When you post, click on Reply/Quick Reply and then click on your Quick Bar Link. Presto!

It even works on mobiles, so no excuses not to use a banner!

Also, be sure to leave regular discussion in a plain font, in-character flavor text in italics, and actions you wish to take in bold. Be especially conscious of the bolding of your actions; I will not execute an action if it isn't bolded. If you're on mobile, saying "bold" (or close equivalents) before an action is sufficient.

d10-4 When sending me a GeekMail, please include the game number, your character name, and a description in the subject line.

Example: "BSG 560 (Starbuck): Admiral's Quarters Skill Check"

I am moderating several games; this will help me make fewer mistakes!

d10-5 Do not edit your posts.

Please do not go back and edit posts unless you are quickly fixing a typo immediately after posting. Instead, simply make a new post stating what you would have changed. This is to prevent confusion (both for me and your fellow players). Similarly, do not delete posts.

d10-6 Do not quote posts from more than one page back.

Just because you can go back and look doesn't mean it's cool to do so. In real life, you probably aren't keeping track *that* closely.

d10-7 Respect the secrecy rules.

I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ.
In particular, please make sure you don't:
* Say "medium" if you only played one card.
* Talk about scouted cards beyond good or bad.
* Identify what cards (or even what colors, or the exact strength) you played into a skill check, even implicitly.
* Volunteer what cards are in your hand (or ask about cards are in someone else's hand) unless it is relevant to the situation.
* Reveal exactly which Quorum cards you have.

Conditional Orders (COs)

1 Put in COs for pretty much anything. All COs should be sent to me via GeekMail, and be clearly labeled by having "CO" (and a description of what the CO is for) in the subject line.

2 Do not post public COs under any circumstances; this includes posting bold text when it is not your turn to act.

3 Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. A full list of these circumstances will be provided in the next post after character selection.

4 TANKING: I will allow the use of "Tank" during the interrupt phase. This means "Pass on interrupts AND the check if everyone else passes." As soon as someone plays cards into the check, "Tank" is nullified; if a revealed Cylon play wouldn't change your plans, for example, you may want to also CO me an intention to pass on the check, as well. You may also declare "Tank" in public but CO cards to play in private. Those playing after you are free to assume you have passed, however; this is rarely an issue in practice.

Have fun out there!

Special Thanks

This is a play-by-forum game in the style established by ColtsFan76. Thanks go to him for starting this. Thanks also to Orphius, JasperHawk, and Mawkee for their work on the mod tools that will be used.

This introductory text is copied mostly from ed_hennessy via zelarvi, who helped get me into moderating these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

House Rules

d10-1 Investigative Committee does not reveal Destiny (as in Pegasus).

d10-2 You may not discuss any Allies on which you placed a Trauma Token, at all. In particular, you cannot say "it's good," "it's bad," suggest that a player meet that Ally or end their Movement Phase on the same location, or say that you will meet that Ally on your own turn.

d10-3 The text on the "Resurrection Ship" location now reads:

Resurrection Ship wrote:

You may discard your Super Crisis Card to draw a new one. Then, if distance is 7 or less, shuffle 1 "You Are Not a Cylon" card into the Loyalty deck. Then draw 1 Loyalty Card and pass all your unrevealed Loyalty Card(s) to one player.

This rule is meant to give solo Cylons the chance to get a buddy (or to just screw with the Humans).

Rules Primer

It may have been a while since many of you have played this particular expansion combination (if ever); so that everyone's on the same page, let's run down what changes when you remove Daybreak and Pegasus from an all-expansions game.

No Mutiny, Assault Raptors, Treachery, Reckless Interrupts, Movement Abilities, Battlestar Pegasus, or Miracle Tokens: If you are executed and had not yet used your OPG ability, you may use the OPG ability on your new character, unlike in Daybreak.

Old Colonial One: Administration is a Skill Check location, you use the Press Room to draw Politics, and the President's Office to draw Quorums.

Old Cylon Locations: The Human Fleet lets you steal a skill card and possibly damage Galactica. The Resurrection Ship is not a hazardous location and works as in the House Rule, above; note that this means you do not automatically pass off your loyalties when you reveal (or at Sleeper). Note that Caprica still gives jump preps, however.

Other Missing Cards: The only skill cards are those in the base game, plus the strength-6 cards and some strength-0 cards. Various Characters, Crises, Destinations, and Quorum cards are missing, as well as the Treachery reveal, the Demand Peace Manifesto, Psychological Warfare, and Footage Transmitted Super Crises.

Default COs:

You can override any of these by CO.

Tory's Adaptable: I will assume you will always choose to use this, and will pause when appropriate.

Anders' Longshot: This will be handled simultaneously with Strategic Planning, and handled in the same fashion (see below). Note that this means there may be times I automatically pass you on it (e.g. it's a Scout roll, or someone else plays a Strategic Planning), so COs may be useful.

I will automatically have you pass on any interrupts you don't have; however, I reserve the right not to do so in order to preserve secrecy. In particular, I will generally not entirely skip an interrupts phase.

Tigh's Cylon Hatred: handled as part of the interrupts phase (as with Assign Arbitrator, below).

Gaeta's FTL Operator: I will pause for you on any failed FTL roll; if you want to reroll a passed FTL roll, you should put in a CO.

Starbuck's Secret Destiny: I will not pause for this; you may want to put in a CO for the sorts of crises you would want to pause for. If you did not put in a CO, you may still use this ability before the choice has been made (on a choice crisis) or during the interrupts phase (on a pure skill check crisis).

Skill Check Interrupts (Investigative Committee, Scientific Research, Assign Arbitrator):
* If Engineering is already positive, I will automatically pass on Scientific Research.
* If someone plays a equal or lower-valued copy of an interrupt you have, I will automatically pass you, unless you are in the Brig or over your hand limit.

Political Prowess: Handled as part of the regular interrupts phase; if any other interrupts were played, they will be returned to their owners' hands.

Strategic Planning:
I will assume you will pass on:
* Launch Scout as long as 2 or more Raptors are intact; note that in this case, a public CO as to whether you're scouting the Crisis or Destination is fine.
* Any CFB placement rolls.
* Any rolls that would help the Cylons.
* Any attacks made by Vipers.
* Any roll where someone has already played a Strategic Planning.

Evasive Maneuvers: Will be passed automatically unless
* the viper is destroyed,
* the viper is manned,
* the viper is the last ship protecting a civilian, or
* there are 2 or fewer undamaged vipers left.
Pilots may want to leave me a more detailed CO for when they would and would not use their Evasives.

Best of the Best: If you're playing this on an attack you're making, just play it normally. I will assume you are passing this on any attacks made by other players, unless you CO me otherwise.

If the order of Raider Activation doesn't matter for the Raider AI, I'll start with Sector 1 and proceed clockwise.

If you are the CAG, COs for civilian placement from Pursuit Track activations are highly encouraged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing:
bobc358
Tooner623
weissz
Adria
rmsgrey

Invited:
Aerrie
coppro
bender418

Waitlist (first-come, first-served):
boltana
Furunkel
Nietreche

Declined:
awp832
manutd03
mdumee (if this is wrong, let me know)
ThirdWizard

The game should begin at 1400 UTC on Saturday, September 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Curnow
United States
Berkeley/San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In as an alternate, thanks for the invite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip McCabe
msg tools
It's been a while since I played IN, and I always thought it was fun, so count me in as an alternate should you need one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be playing slowly, though I should still be able to manage once per day. I'm in if no-one else wants the slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Looks like we've got a full complement, so let's get started with character selection. Highest roll goes first:

bobc358 1d100 = (97) = 97
Tooner623 1d100 = (22) = 22
weissz 1d100 = (60) = 60
Adria 1d100 = (62) = 62
rmsgrey 1d100 = (27) = 27

bobc358 is up first! You can pick any character from the base game or Exodus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 944260. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (97) =
  • Sat Sep 3, 2016 2:59 pm
  • [+]
  • 944261. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (22) =
  • [+]
  • 944263. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (60) =
  • [+]
  • 944264. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (62) =
  • [+]
  • 944265. kingerc
  • 1d100 =
  • (27) =
Bobby Curnow
United States
Berkeley/San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

To save humanity, we'll need someone adaptable, influential and perhaps just a bit amoral. We need someone like me... Tory Foster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edit: oops. For some reason, I thought I was second to pick, not 4th...

Nothing to see here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings from PAX!

(Don't expect much from me until I get home Tuesday evening.)

I have not played Anders nearly as much as any other pilot, and I think I'm early enough in turn order that his drawback won't hurt as much as it could, so I will take Anders (that is a bolded decision!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Weiss
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb

It's Tigh time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

FTL jumps need making? That's just how I roll...

Opening draw: 2 Politics, 1 Engineering

Looks like we've got plenty of GP draw.

I've been pilot a lot recently, so someone else can strap on a pair of wings...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip McCabe
msg tools
Sorry for the delay there, all. I had some things to attend to today.

I feel like we could use some piloting and engineering draw. Since I'd still like the flexibility to draw leadership, and I don't fancy spending half time in the brig...

Sorry, Anders, but you didn't think they'd let a rook like you be the only Viper jock, did you?

Opening draw 2 Piloting and 1 Engineering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hands dispatched; you should have your Loyalty, Trauma, Quorum (if Tory), and initial skill cards (if you specified or you're first player).

Once we get initial draws for Anders and Tigh, we can get started.

In the event it matters for your draws, initial Allies are Billy, Seelix, and Kendra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Weiss
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb

Draw 2 Tactics and 1 Leadership.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mobile Anders

2 tactics and 1 leadership please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Turn 1.1: President Tory is the Current Player.

Tory moves to the President's Office and activates it, drawing a Quorum Card, as is reflected in the above image.

Tory, would you like to play a quorum or draw another?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Curnow
United States
Berkeley/San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

*adjusts presidential sash*

We've got a good amount of tactics, so I hope someone can help with this roll. (plus we could use the extra cards from my OPT)

Play Inspirational Speech. Pass on interupts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Interrupts for Inspirational Speech wrote:

Interrupts for Inspirational Speech
Looking for Strategic Planning.

Tory (5) - Pass
Anders (3) -
Tigh (3) -
Gaeta (3) - PASS: No Tactics
Starbuck (3) - PASS: No Tactics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anders passes on interrupts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Weiss
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Mobile Tigh
Play 3-SP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

How does Tory's speech go over? 1d8+2 = (7) + 2 = 9

Pretty well! Morale increases to 11.

Tory draws 2 Politics from her Adaptable ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 945310. kingerc
  • 1d8+2 =
  • (7) + 2 =
  • Tue Sep 6, 2016 2:02 pm
Zach T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Unwelcome Faces

Admiral Tigh, your choice here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Curnow
United States
Berkeley/San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I always knew I was exceptionally inspirational...

I could advocate going either way on this choice. It'd be nice to keep the extra morale we just got, and I could help with a brig escape. Plus someone possibly getting sent to sick bay, and wasting a repair when we could be fixing Mark VIIs is not good. Plus Tigh only has two cards to lose, which relatively speaking is not bad.

If we have Cylons in our midst though, a brig escape could be more tricky than anticipated though.

I probably lean towards keeping the morale, but will support either decision, Admiral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip McCabe
msg tools

Well, I'm certainly feeling inspired.

I have to disagree with the President here. While it would be a shame to lose the morale, and damage to the ship would likely send someone to sickbay, we haven't even had a skill check yet- brigging someone would be a completely random choice that would cost us plenty of skill cards to fix. A damaged location would cost one repair card and potentially an XO to get someone out of sickbay as soon as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [23] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.