Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Mom has been on my watch list for some time.
But the 1 VS all system just wasn't for us.
When this got announced I was really eager to get it, loved how the app got integrated.

So doing some research on it really made me doubt again. Only 4 scenarios in a box that is very very pricy just doesn't seem to be worth it.
Yes I get that the scenarios will be different a bit, the map will change and stuff. But you'll still be doing the same scenario. For such a thematic story driven game this just seems to not be enough imho.

I know that not everyone agrees with this.
Keep seeing stuff like,
Most games only come with one scenario.
But the map changes so it will be different every time.

Just can't seem to get my head around this being such a thematic game that really needs more content in the base box.

I think I'm gone remove this from my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I can't argue against the statement that the game currently has few scenarios and each one is only good for a few plays (the mileage of any given group will vary but I doubt anyone can truthfully claim they are endlessly replayable), especially if the strong attraction for you is immersive theme and storytelling. The only consolation I can give you is that they are all at least very enjoyable for those limited number of plays (especially the 1st play of each).

I would say take the game off your list for now but keep an eye on it. See how many scenarios there are in a year's time and how much the game is selling for and make a decision then. Maybe the value will go up (it really depends how many 'free' or cheap scenarios they make available)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is over-priced for what it offers (4 scenarios with limited playabilty, poor quality miniatures...)They say the app is free, but I wonder if perhaps it's price was included in the game itself.
For the time being I'll wait and continue playing MOM 1 and it's expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
Ask your gaming buddies if they would be interested to contribute?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sadler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say that I spend a lot of money on board games. I can safely say that this game was the best money I ever spent on a board game. The enjoyment my group has had with the first three scenarios is completely worth the price. Also, I'm sure FFG will put out many more scenarios in the near future. I can only speak for my gaming group, but this game was a fantastic value for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
They say the app is free, but I wonder if perhaps it's price was included in the game itself.

Of course it was. Developing an app is part of a development cost. When you're paying for a game, you aren't just paying for the materials that are packaged in. All expenses and development time would be taken into account as the company wants to turn a profit on the game. A game doing well is what fuels the developers to continue supporting the game.

To the OP, I would say it comes down to personal preference. This is probably my favorite game of the year because it's everything that I wanted from 1st edition in a cooperative, thematic gaming experience.

I don't know if this is a factor for your group, but one of the biggest strengths of 2nd Edition is the fact that you can go from teaching the rules to brand new players to setting up the game to playing all in under 10 minutes. This was definitely not the case for 1st Edition which had a set-up time of about an hour. Due to how easy it is to set-up and play, this game has hit the table more times already than MoM 1st edition ever did. And this is coming from someone who loved MoM 1st ed and wished I had more chances to play it. This is also the first Arkham Files game I've been able to get my non-gamer friends to play, because of how quick and easy it is to dissect the game and get them playing.

I've spent lots of money on games that hit the table once a year. Mansions 2nd, however, I've already played at least 13 times and it hasn't even been out a month. If that sort of thing has value to you, there you go.

As for the scenarios being limited, I haven't found this to be the case because (a) I've played with different groups of people for a lot of the scenarios so their decisions and reactions have made the experiences unique (b) Some of the scenarios we did not win on the first try. This is due to the difficulty, being unfamiliar with how to solve the mystery, as well as players going Insane halfway through and sabotaging the game. There are still two scenarios that I haven't beaten yet! Last, (c) There is a decent amount of variety in map tiles, search locations, and monster spawns to give even a scenario you've played half a dozen times some element of surprise.

Hope that helps you make a decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
They say the app is free, but I wonder if perhaps it's price was included in the game itself.

On the box it says 'requires free digital companion app'. The app is free to download. You'll have a hard time spinning that to somehow reflect badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Farnborough
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Depends on how quickly you pile through games. I mean, we love Cthulhu games, and we've played the first scenario twice (one fail, one success) and the second scenario three times (all fail). We won't continue on until we succeed.

The slight differences in the scenario, plus the fact we've played half of the scenarios and got five sessions so far, says to me that this is still an awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a legitimate concern. I'm feeling shortchanged on what it is versus what I expected. I feel like there should just be at least 1 completely randomized scenario similar to a game of Eldritch Horror where you're trying to solve something but the narrative is more ambiance than story so it's not a big deal to just get a mishmosh and you could just replay over and over.

And dollars to donuts any future quests will require the buy of a $25 or so expansion.

It is a great game. I really like it. I don't know if I like it $20/session like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on how many future scenarios will be free or will be a purchased add-on. The next 2 scenarios look like they'll be free but require the components from the Tile/Figure expansions (which if you have 1st Ed, you won't need to buy). If they do like Descent and release another 4 or so scenarios for free (the first full campaign was going to be paid-for, but ended up being free), then you'll have a lot of game time with MoM2.

Personally, I think it's completely worth it. For our group, each scenario has been really fun to replay. Sure, the general plot is the same, but all the discovery is different, the heroes are different, etc. We've gotten at least 3 replays of each scenario, so for us, 4 scenarios has been 12. We've gotten a lot more replayability out of this game than say 1st edition. We've gotten a lot more game time in MoM2 than pretty much all my other $100 games. So for us, the $100 was worth it.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:

And dollars to donuts any future quests will require the buy of a $25 or so expansion.

That's my only real concern with having bought it, I'm taking a chance that the scenarios aren't going to be $20+ so they can force a physical purchase and dilute the impact of people hacking the Android or Steam versions, which is almost certainly possible to pull off if people work at it. Maybe people familiar with the Descent app have some insight on that.

$5 or $10 I can live with, but $15 + shipping will be more than I'm inclined to want to pay, and I think that's about the minimum I would actually predict if I had to bet on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be getting this just to play together with my gf, so no group to share the cost, nor a real gain from the easy rules explanation.

Thinking on it some more it seems most agree you'll get 3/4 plays per quest before it's starting to lose its appeal, so that's like 16 game for a game that for me costs 85€, thats alot Imho.
Shadows of brimstone has almost the same price and I got 25 games out the base box so far and still have unplayed scenarios.
Eldritch costs about half and we had 15 plays before we got Forsaken lore.

It just doesn't add up for me. And Imho just a random generator and this would be fixed.

Maybe I'll get it one day, but they will certainly need to add some scenarios to the base game before I ever will spend that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
Mat628 wrote:

That's my only real concern with having bought it, I'm taking a chance that the scenarios aren't going to be $20+ so they can force a physical purchase and dilute the impact of people hacking the Android or Steam versions, which is almost certainly possible to pull off if people work at it. Maybe people familiar with the Descent app have some insight on that.

$5 or $10 I can live with, but $15 + shipping will be more than I'm inclined to want to pay, and I think that's about the minimum I would actually predict if I had to bet on it.

Well, outside of any scenarios that may be added solely added to the app (and don't require new components), it'd be odd for you to assume that future expansions won't include new tiles, monsters, spells, items, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not sure, give it time, see how many scenarios come out and whether or not you like the pricing structure. The game will be around for a good while.

(Re: mini quality, aside from the investigators these are exactly the same quality as the first edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BreadRising wrote:

Well, outside of any scenarios that may be added solely added to the app (and don't require new components), it'd be odd for you to assume that future expansions won't include new tiles, monsters, spells, items, etc...

My point was that I'm not sure there will be a significant number of scenarios that *don't* come with all that stuff, and would therefore be cheap enough to help offset the upfront cost I've paid already.

It seemed to me that scenarios that are purely electronic might be too easy to hacktivate on the non-iOS platforms, making them a bad business bet for them, but maybe I'm underestimating their security. I have not been plugged into the video game sector for a long time, and when I was last, piracy was a given, not even slightly difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Spukky wrote:

Eldritch costs about half and we had 15 plays before we got Forsaken lore.

Honestly, if you got 15 plays out of the EH base box, you'll likely get more than average out of this.

The same people deriding it for lack of replayability seem to be the same ones who only saw EH fit for 4 plays without Foresaken Lore to offer variety in the mysteries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
More Mellotron wrote:

I don't think you'll, be looking at $25 scenarios, but we might be seeing $40 expansion boxes with three or four scenarios.

(I know the current expansions are $50 for one scenario but they come with a ton of minis)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KNG LOUIE
Japan
flag msg tools
Sorenthion wrote:
I will say that I spend a lot of money on board games. I can safely say that this game was the best money I ever spent on a board game. The enjoyment my group has had with the first three scenarios is completely worth the price. Also, I'm sure FFG will put out many more scenarios in the near future. I can only speak for my gaming group, but this game was a fantastic value for us.

Adam says it best. I brought this game to a group stuck on playing Scythe an entire evening and placed the box on the table, was asked to showcase it and the app, and first scenario later they were hungry for more. Unfortunately, I too wanted to play Scythe that night and we didn't get to scenario 2 of MOM2E. However, tomorrow's Mythica group explicitly said, "Bring MOM2E, we heard you got it..." I forsee Mythica being shelved this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Mat628 wrote:
It's a legitimate concern. I'm feeling shortchanged on what it is versus what I expected. I feel like there should just be at least 1 completely randomized scenario similar to a game of Eldritch Horror where you're trying to solve something but the narrative is more ambiance than story so it's not a big deal to just get a mishmosh and you could just replay over and over.

This is a great idea. They could even through together simple scenarios that are randomized--for instance, a random map where you have to seal all gates and kill all monsters. An app would be good at that because it could keep track of where monsters spawn and where they move to (monsters aren't tracked now, but they could be in a custom scenario).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
One of the main reasons I am excited about the app integration of this game is because it gives FFG a very cheap and fast way to deliver more scenarios without having to incur all the time and cost of physically printing and selling them.

In 1st edition you were only going to get new scenarios in relatively pricey expansions because it was the most cost effective way to produce and distribute them. They are no longer working under those restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FellintoOblivion wrote:
One of the main reasons I am excited about the app integration of this game is because it gives FFG a very cheap and fast way to deliver more scenarios without having to incur all the time and cost of physically printing and selling them.

In 1st edition you were only going to get new scenarios in relatively pricey expansions because it was the most cost effective way to produce and distribute them. They are no longer working under those restrictions.

I really wonder how much cheaper this is for them - honestly, I have no idea.

I do know technology, however, and product lifecycle development. Developing and maintaining a quality software product, across multiple platforms takes considerable skills and staff. You need designers, programmers, QA staff, and support at a minimum. These skills are in high demand and won't come cheap. This is why I wonder if this approach is any "cheaper" for FFG when compared to 1e.

I'd love to see some sort of "behind the scenes" article on FFG's site talking about what it takes to create a MoM2e scenario. Especially if they compared that to the effort to make a 1e scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
What the game really needs is a scenario editor. Then the community, if not yourself, can contribute to a truly endless possibility of scenarios and custom stories. Once that happens, I'll be on board and buy this. The implementation of the app to run the game instead of a human DM is a great first step. The flip side is that by removing the human element, you also remove the possibility of custom scenarios since you need the app to run the game.

I'm on the same fence as the OP. I am a huge fan of FFGs Arkham Files games. But I fear the limited replayability of MoM in it's current state given it's price. I've seen the fantastic creativity the community has provided in other dungeon crawlers with scenario editors, and have no doubt the HP Lovecraft fans in this community could put together some really strong narrative content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I somewhat agree with Trent. However, I think the major advantage for MoM 2e compared to 1e is making the game truly cooperative instead of 1-v-all. Delivery of official new scenarios via the app would probably bring more logistical challenges than just a downloadable pdf that FFG could post on their website (minus the randomization, but then a human DM could also house rule things like map layouts and minor monster encounters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rican919 wrote:
What the game really needs is a scenario editor. Then the community, if not yourself, can contribute to a truly endless possibility of scenarios and custom stories. Once that happens, I'll be on board and buy this. The implementation of the app to run the game instead of a human DM is a great first step. The flip side is that by removing the human element, you also remove the possibility of custom scenarios since you need the app to run the game.

I'm on the same fence as the OP. I am a huge fan of FFGs Arkham Files games. But I fear the limited replayability of MoM in it's current state given it's price. I've seen the fantastic creativity the community has provided in other dungeon crawlers with scenario editors, and have no doubt the HP Lovecraft fans in this community could put together some really strong narrative content.

I would be all over this. I'd love to see a community scenario editor.

Alas, I don't hold out much hope for one - here's why I say that:

- Free Community content competes with Paid FFG content and likely lessons demand for "official" scenarios.

- Additional App development is likely required (developer tools are rarely made for public consumption). This cost must be recouped from someplace.

- I've got to believe the QA aspect of scenario development is pretty daunting. I wonder how protective of the "brand" FFG might become here. Do they really want a bunch of sub-par community content being somehow distributed or at least linked with their product? Let's face it, for every gem of a scenario, the community will have a couple clunkers.

- Distribution. This is something they have to account for within their app. It would be great to download a scenario from BGG and somehow plug it into the App. I just think this is going to take a significant effort on FFG's development staff that's probably already currently stretched to their limits extending MoM with revenue generating content.

That's just off the top of my head. Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely create content. I just think that tool, if on their development roadmap, is a long ways off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
On the other hand you could create that tool and let people sell scenarios via the app, with FFG taking a huge cut (70%) and it could be pretty lucrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.