5 Posts

History of the World» Forums » Variants

Subject: Army differences between old Avalon Hill and newer versions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lord Blackadder
Netherlands
flag msg tools

I stumbled upon the old 1993 version of this boardgame.. (for €2,50 lol, garage sale ftw)

I have never played this older version. On first glance the army strengths seem to be the same as I remember from the 2001 Hasbro edition, which I played a lot 10 years ago but online sources say they are not. (I don't own the new game, played a copy of a friend who moved away) Does anybody know a source online with the differences listed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is YES, holy cow yes!

It has been a loooong time since I played the original and I only played it one time. I think we played for over twelve hours for roughly 30 minutes of activity. I refused to play the newer version because the original was interminable until I got "roped" into it. The newer version is terrific and a VAST improvement over the original, IMO.

I seem to recall that combat and area control are the main differences with possibly the economic system being a major change also.

In my opinion the original is more of a curiosity than a game. Some people love it. I do not understand that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
The short answer is YES, holy cow yes!

It has been a loooong time since I played the original and I only played it one time. I think we played for over twelve hours for roughly 30 minutes of activity. I refused to play the newer version because the original was interminable until I got "roped" into it. The newer version is terrific and a VAST improvement over the original, IMO.

I seem to recall that combat and area control are the main differences with possibly the economic system being a major change also.

In my opinion the original is more of a curiosity than a game. Some people love it. I do not understand that.

Are you referencing the 2009 reimplementation A Brief History of the World? FWIW, I'm sorry about a 12 hour game of this -- that'd be painful for sure. Our games run closer to 5 hours, and I don't think I've had even the very first play go over 8.

To the OP: I'm afraid I've never played the 1993 Version. I don't know if there are any strength differences. The differences I recall people talking about are that the preeminence markers are different, and I think there's slightly different rules for empire drawing.

You may have already found this thread, but there's some good info here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/862442/history-world-hasbro...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordBlackadder wrote:

I stumbled upon the old 1993 version of this boardgame.. (for €2,50 lol, garage sale ftw)

I have never played this older version. On first glance the army strengths seem to be the same as I remember from the 2001 Hasbro edition, which I played a lot 10 years ago but online sources say they are not. (I don't own the new game, played a copy of a friend who moved away) Does anybody know a source online with the differences listed?

I as recall the armies were tweaked in the later epic cards. Mostly to account that you automatically used armies for boats.

Plus there were a few other changes

1991 edition
Used to track your running total of empire cards which determined who picked first instead of the score in the 2001 edition. No bonus point chips for being the score leader in the 1991 edition.

Army counts were a little higher on some empires, cost an army to place a boat.

The cards dealt from 7 different decks. 2001 they were changed to a major and minor deck. A few of the cards were changed and maybe some one ones added in the 2001 edition.

A Brief History of the World made some major changes to shorten game time.
6 instead of 7 epocs
Combat rules changed
empire cards with less armies
no stacking allowed
changes in the presence/dominance/control rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had a game of the Hasbro version last over three hours, unless there was an extremely slow player! Major Analysis Paralysis ruins almost every game, though. I found the Brief version to be a little bit faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.