Popular Tags: [View All]
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone found this to be a limitation yet? I forget what the player packs add. Are they just new maps or changes to the stories?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Every story feels very different depending on the heroes used and, more importantly, the sin involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bradford
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Team Packs each add five(?) Map Tiles, two new Acolytes, some new Upgrade Cards and a smattering of heroes. The real dynamic impact happens to be those Map Tiles and the accompanying booklet for new map configurations.

Based on what I've played (four games), I think there's enough variance in the core box to stand up to the replayability factor of any similar scenario-based game. This is mostly due to the branching missions and variable Sin Powers.

It's worthwhile to note that the Apocalypse Box does add a new scenario and map configurations for it.

Having said all of that, it might be a good idea for CMON to publish an additional 'Scenario Pack' with a set of new missions. I see this having a respectable lifespan as a fresh game, but if there's no plans to publish a follow-on game, it will eventually diminish and become repetitive. But that would, in my opinion, take a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the pamphlet with me for the team boxes. Do they adjust the maps for existing scenarios? I am getting ready to play tonight, but will add the team boxes in later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karlo arciaga
United States
California
flag msg tools
while the sin, acolytes, and map layouts can be changed (based on the team box chosen), I will agree, there will be some exhausting of these 7 scenarios. however, as groups acquire more experience with the game, veterans will start to really crisp up their game and refine their decisions - this increases the efficiency of player turns and will prob ramp up the tension on the game. yes, you can argue that dice rolls will put this all to waste, but there is still tons of excitement in carefully planning actions.

the final rise of the hell club mission is REALLY hard for the FAITH team to win. the corruption stories will probably provide the most replay value, since the dark past cards are distributed randomly, adding another variable element to increase replayability. haven's last stand has the worst replay value because the objectives are too straight forward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's no limitation at all. The massive amount of things you can change will keep this viable for a long time provided you enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure that there are ~49 major variations in the stories, (seven scenarios times seven Sins, since they each play differently with their own unique cards and effects), branching paths and multiple maps for each story, plus the Apocalypse scenario, the many acolyte types, and different lineups of heroes. Plenty of variation there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
I figure that there are ~49 major variations in the stories, (seven scenarios times seven Sins, since they each play differently with their own unique cards and effects), branching paths and multiple maps for each story, plus the Apocalypse scenario, the many acolyte types, and different lineups of heroes. Plenty of variation there.

And then there's the different Upgrade Cards and the Hellfire Club members.

And if that isn't enough, you can always just do random map tile pulls (use existing layouts and troop placements, but mix up what city tiles and paths are possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
I don't have the pamphlet with me for the team boxes. Do they adjust the maps for existing scenarios? I am getting ready to play tonight, but will add the team boxes in later.

If you burn through everything in just the core box in one night, you're doing some very wrong.

Or very right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lil Keezy
msg tools
If you own all the team boxes you have 5 or 6 map variations per story. As also mentioned the sins, acolytes, and hero team composition make for a LOT of variation with just 7 (or 8 with Apocslypse) missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JDK002 wrote:
If you own all the team boxes you have 5 or 6 map variations per story. As also mentioned the sins, acolytes, and hero team composition make for a LOT of variation with just 7 (or 8 with Apocslypse) missions.

While I agree about the variations per story (and I believe we will get a lot of re-playability out of this game) I think the point is the story missions remain the same: we will be doing the SAME things (once we've played the branching missions) after about 14 plays.

Mind you, I've only played 3 out of the 7 missions so far, using just the base game so there's still a lot of life left in the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:

While I agree about the variations per story (and I believe we will get a lot of re-playability out of this game) I think the point is the story missions remain the same: we will be doing the SAME things (once we've played the branching missions) after about 14 plays.

Mind you, I've only played 3 out of the 7 missions so far, using just the base game so there's still a lot of life left in the game

I strongly disagree. Most board games come with just one scenario, yet we consider them replayable because of the different permutations of strategies and tactics possible. This is not Time Stories or Pandemic Legacy where you have a finite number of plays.

If a game comes with more than one scenerio it already provides more replayability, in theory, than the average game. Then you have the countless modular maps, hero combinations, and sin player setups of TO:7S - you're looking at a game designed specifically with replayability in mind.

A good case in question - Robinson Crusoe comes with six or seven scenarios in the base game, yet most owners agree that it would have been a great game with just the first scenario, the rest was just icing on the cake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
7 Scenarios, with 2 map layouts each. Plus each one has set up variations based on the sins player preference.

I think there is a considerable amount of variation.

If you play 14 games and feel like you need more maps. Team Packs give you more tiles and map layouts for the scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
7 Scenarios, with 2 map layouts each. Plus each one has set up variations based on the sins player preference.

I think there is a considerable amount of variation.

If you play 14 games and feel like you need more maps. Team Packs give you more tiles and map layouts for the scenarios.

It looks like each team pack adds a map to all the scenarios so 6 maps each. It seems like a lot of variety. I am just wondering if I will get sick of the same objectives. Probably not in my case, but I don't think I will get to play those more than 20 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.