$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 64.74

4,572 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.8% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

J.D. Hall
msg tools
Once again, the white man gets screwed just because our ancestors owned black people. There ain't no justice!!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/01/pf/college/georgetown-univer...

Interesting story. Not surprising, given the liberal nature of Georgetown U.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They're only giving preference to a very specific group of slaves, a group that was sold in 1838 by the Jesuits to provide operating revenue for the school. And the preference involved is simply treating them as alumni family for admission consideration. I'm not sure why they're focusing on that specific group, but I've only read a little bit of the report this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Dude, it's the internet. Gotta have a over-the-top headline that is only loosely based on what is in the article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
"White Slaves" should also garner the SAME then, whenever THAT occurs too, someday eventually? robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
"White Slaves" should also garner the SAME then, whenever THAT occurs too, someday eventually? robot

Are you volunteering for the job?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
remorseless1 wrote:
surprise "Too Infinitentity" B-E-Y-O-N-D what's already available here, or yet what the 'future portends' pertained? "Chooses of choices" then. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
surprise "Too Infinitentity" B-E-Y-O-N-D what's already available here, or yet what the 'future portends' pertained? "Chooses of choices" then. whistle

In other words, you'll only be a sex slave...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
remorseless1 wrote:
shake "Hobbies" were still yet 'moi' 1st loves with recreation of something then afterwards, such as written about or depicted in some 'novel approach', that I've managed upon already. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

remorseless1 wrote:
Once again, the white man gets screwed just because our ancestors owned black people. There ain't no justice!!!!

What's so "liberal" about an institution's making meaningful amends to try to rectify the egregious historical malpractices that tainted its legacy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

remorseless1 wrote:

What's so "liberal" about an institution's making meaningful amends to try to rectify the egregious historical malpractices that tainted its legacy?

Well, to answer your question directly: the idea of some type of reparations for the descendants of African slaves is only embraced by leftists, and extreme ones at that.

But, as to my meaning, Georgetown has been (and is currently) a very liberal-leaning university, especially when it comes to race and politics.

And by the way, I think Georgetown's idea is a good one, since it is specifically aimed at the descendants of people sold to help fund the university. Smart and classy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:

He's not really playing that violin.

You can see that the bow doesn't touch the strings. Also, he is not fingering any of the strings on the neck, which would be required to create the melody. I know because my sister used to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
spookyblast wrote:

You can see that the bow doesn't touch the strings. Also, he is not fingering any of the strings on the neck, which would be required to create the melody. I know because my sister used to play.
Did yours "fiddle around" BOTH kinds of music even; Country & Western? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
spookyblast wrote:

Did yours "fiddle around" BOTH kinds of music even; Country & Western? whistle

Nah. She only played good music, albeit badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Attempts to fathom GROGnads as a sex slave.... and cringes.

Though he does have the part down where the bits change color from white to pink to red to blue.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Attempts to fathom GROGnads as a sex slave.... and cringes.

Though he does have the part down where the bits change color from white to pink to red to blue.....

Oh God, the mental image that just produced. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever helps them alleviate their white guilt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Most of the faculty, administration, and student body is black.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Most of the faculty, administration, and student body is black.

What? Undergraduate enrollment for '15-'16 was only 6% black. I don't know where you would get faculty and staff demographics but I find it very hard to believe it's >50% black as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
spookyblast wrote:
she2 wrote:

wow wow wow

I wouldn't have never have seen that. Great spot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Slaves who were kept be damned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
spookyblast wrote:

wow wow wow

I wouldn't have never have seen that. Great spot!

Thank you.

You know, I wish I could claim that I was some sort of savant, but honestly I’m quite aloof, and such things generally escape my attention.

It’s just that in this case—like I said, my sister played violin—something seemed off about that video on first viewing. After subsequent viewings I began to give serious consideration to the hypothesis that he wasn’t actually playing, and after perusing several Wikipedia articles on violin mechanics and techniques, I felt confident that my suspicions were correct.

With a little bit of effort, I think anyone could have deduced the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
They're only giving preference to a very specific group of slaves, a group that was sold in 1838 by the Jesuits to provide operating revenue for the school. And the preference involved is simply treating them as alumni family for admission consideration. I'm not sure why they're focusing on that specific group, but I've only read a little bit of the report this morning.
Because (as you said) they helped to establish the school, I think it is a rather nice gesture to knowledge the debt they owe to blacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb

Oh boo hooo...

When there was slavery there was almost no black crime...

They all had jobs, they had a purpose in life, they got plenty of exercise, they got to sail the high seas! They had it made.

Then the evil white man abolished slavery and now the poor blacks are in turmoil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wise ol Gnome wrote:

Oh boo hooo...

When there was slavery there was almost no black crime...

They all had jobs, they had a purpose in life, they got plenty of exercise, they got to sail the high seas! They had it made.

Then the evil white man abolished slavery and now the poor blacks are in turmoil.

Please can you stop saying such horrid obnoxious things. It really is counter productive on almost every possible level!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.