$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.7% of Goal | left

Support:

cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
My kids like DC better, generally. But we bought Marvel because the reviews were so much better. Love Legendary of course. Wondering how some of you feel about the DC Game, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch this is gonna be painful and a bit awkward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack delavert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played it, but from the video reviews it is a poor substitute. I'll wait for DC Legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The DC Deck Building Game (DCDBG) is basically inferior in all ways to Marvel Legendary (ML) mechanically.

DCDBG has 1 currency (power), ML has 2 (fight/recruit).

DCDBG features the exact same deck of main cards every game, with the same villains every game. ML has huge variety in setup with heroes, mastermind, and scheme.

DCDBG gives you a unique power, that greatly influences the strategy you play, but often puts you on a path (also the abilities don't seem super well balanced). In ML, everyone starts on the same playing field and can adapt their strategy based on current board situation.

ML has combos with colors and classes, as well as synergy between cards. DCDBG has some synergy, but it's more just text on cards that explicitly state the interactions and the order of cards matters much less.

ML has a ticking clock and is semi-cooperative, DCDBG is strictly PVP, and ends when someone beats the last super villain card.

DCDBG has less setup.

DCDBG seems to have way less meaningful decisions than ML.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Ellis
msg tools
I like both games but for different reasons. I feel DC is a more competitive game but Marvel wins in almost every other category. Legendary is way more thematic, tense and has a ton more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the DC expansions solve some of its problems? It's not as if Marvel were this perfect game which at least I consider it to be without its numerous improvements brought by the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend has the DC game and the coop expansions. We play almost elusively cooperatively which is hard to beat but does not really tell a story like Legendary does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Meyer
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The DC game is about as bare bones and basic a Deck Building game as you can get. I have used it often to teach a player new to gaming the basic mechanics of Deck Building. The licensed skin just does not work in any way, shape, or form. In the original core each player is a member of the JLA but you never work together, in fact you are working against the other players at all times. This breaks the theme but not the game.

The big box expansions are more or less re-skins of the original game. They play by themselves and do not need any other set. The small deck boxes add new mechanics but the license and the mechanics continue to fight against each other.

DC = Great teaching game. Cheeper entry point
Marvel = Better use of license. Advanced mechanics. more immersive for players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Ellis
msg tools
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Do the DC expansions solve some of its problems? It's not as if Marvel were this perfect game which at least I consider it to be without its numerous improvements brought by the expansions.

No. The expansions are pretty much all standalone games that have different themes to them. Forever Evil is you taking the role of the villains and heavily themed around destruction. Teen Titans is all about Ongoing effects.

I never really tried the smallbox expansions so I can't comment on them. The big box expansions don't mix in with each other as easily as Legendary. The one nice thing about DC is when I'm having game night and there are more than 6 people, we can split into two groups and each group can play one of the games. With Legendary, someone has to sit out or play an entirely different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself am a bigger DC fan as well, I also own all the DC games and all the marvel as well. All I can honestly say is they truly depends on your kids and how old they are and if they like longer games or a quick game, so here are the pros and cons of each in a nut shell.

DC
+ Easy setup and understanding, games are quick as well
= PVP
+ Co-op with the crisis expansions but increases game time drastically
- Almost no theme involved everything is from the comics but that's about it

Best game of the set is the original followed by forever evil, the crisis's tend to follow the games as well Crisis 1 for the main DC game, crisis 2 is following the heroes united and crisis 3 for forever evil. All the other base games add more key words like marvel does with it's expansion, but unlike marvel they don't make them expansion they make them a whole new game.

Your choice are DC original your the heroes of the justice league fighting the main DC villains; Heroes unite nothing new really added here just the B squad against the B squad villains; Forever evil reverse of the original your the main DC villains against the main DC heroes adds more attacking the other players and removing cards from your deck; Teen Titans added cards with saying effects very similar to marvels artifact and thrown artifacts key words.

Mini addon's for DC are JSA, Legion, Arrow the TV show and lastly the watchmen. Each add small changes with new main heroes you can pick from and their own sets of Super Villains. That being said the JSA was the best does a lot more playing with lower cost cards and the starter cards. The rest either add a key word to adjust playing or in the watchmen case remove super villains and gives you cases to figure out much like the crisis modes.

Lastly, the crisis modes. I love them but they make the game time go from 30 minutes to 2 hours its crazy. They are fun and more challenging then many of the schemes in the marvel game. They are also fully co-op, minus the third crisis since it follows the villains it's still a bit of pvp.

Over all as a set of games these are fun but only with more people, they are simple and great for younger kids and people new to deck builders.

Marvel

= Longer setup (mainly because of the main choices) longer game play
= co-op (some pvp but very little)
+ Theme everywhere think of it as a comic book coming to life in front of you
+ replay almost endless because of the huge amount of choices

Since marvel has so many more expansions with two main base games of heroes and villains I'm not going to break them down is as much detail. Marvel overall game play is pick a mastermind villain a scheme he is trying the do and then a set of heroes that are going to try and stop him. With the list of masterminds, schemes and heroes to pick from constantly growing equates to you never playing the same game twice.

Most of the expansions add a new keyword that changes up the standard game play a bit; with some adding new components. Major components added as in secret wars vol 1 they added a playable mastermind allowing someone to be the baddy everyone else is going against, it also introduced side kicks a cheaper one time use character to help out. Overall a better in depth game then the DC ones more for players that might have played a deck builder once before and I feel aimed at a larger audience.

Major not though you will want to spend the money on printing out some of the fan made dividers to speed up the setup of the game and allow you and the kids a quick reference for the characters and whom they might work well with.

Hopes this helps with your overall choice and if you have any more questions about either game or any particular expansion just post it here and I can help answer them.

Final Note

DC has way better customer service and far less issues, I see much more people missing a certain card from various expansions from marvel and having a headache for getting this resolved. I was missing a card from my aliens legendary and it took them weeks over three weeks to get it to me while sending the wrong card twice before hand. As for DC I was over seas and asked about a promo card I couldn't get because I had to order online, they sent one to me for free hand mailed the thing and everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Waits
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both a lot, for different reasons.

Legendary is more thematic and requires you to think a little harder about the choices you make. I like all the potential setups and how different each game is. I find it's better for playing out scenarios inspired by the comics.

Cerberus (DC) is quicker and cleaner, requires less setup, and is more directly confrontational. I like the Super Hero mechanic that gives bonuses for building your deck a certain way. I find it's better for less gamerly people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think Marvel Heroes kills both these games. And legendary encounters system kill marvel legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Capo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I still think Marvel Heroes kills both these games. And legendary encounters system kill marvel legendary.

Nobody can kill Marvel Heroes, that game just died by itself for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halstead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have only had one game of the DC deck building game and I wasn't overly impressed however I am interested by how many deck builders use the Cerberus Engine and how compatible they are with each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Screw DC. Screw their deck-building game. Screw their overrated characters. Screw their terrible movies. Screw their disconnected TV shows. Screw it all.

Make mine Marvel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I have complex feelings about it.

+ Mechanically, the game is quite well-designed and fun to play. I've had the opposite problem with Star Trek, where I love its theme, but it's just not well designed. Everyone has a built-in desired play style that forces you to not just build the best deck out of what comes up, because you benefit more from going with a particular style. It's also got competition at its heart, and I'm definitely a competitive player.
- One currency is fine, but it fails thematically. I should not be able to punch & kick my way to obtaining a Batmobile (though I should say, our first game did involve the Flash hilariously getting Batmobile as his first card).
- Likewise, once I defeat a villain, I expect them to be done, not recruited to my side just to fight the other players. They serve an important competition role mechanically, but it really bites thematically.
= A friend of mine got the expansions, so we tried co-op together. The play time was ridiculously high. It probably took 3 hours to do. I will admit, we got trolled hard. The rule book said we were advised not to look at the crisis cards before starting the first game, and it was a big mess trying to figure out how each new one worked. It didn't help that I had been awake far too long at this point (or maybe it did for the sheer ridiculousness of it). When we finally got to the last one, it was like the ending of Doom 1 episode 1. I seriously hope I'm never trolled that hard again, but I do appreciate the joke. As for its theme, it really felt like we were marathoning Justice League.
+ We played the 2-player duel version of Batman vs. Joker, which I enjoyed thoroughly. I still have some problems with theme (my Batman ended up going much more Joker-styled), but I truly love a specific 2-player competitive experience.

I had a long conversation with my friend afterward, comparing the two games. He truly loves both, but he favors DC. It seems we both see the same flaw differently in each game. To me, DC feels like a "build-your-own-superhero" game, where it's a mangled mash of everything you make into one big meatloaf. To him, he hates that you are basically recruiting the same hero multiple times in Legendary, especially if it's from the base game where it's all the same art. In this respect, I understand the difference in perspectives between games. There's no explicit personal identity in Legendary like in DC. The preparation and cleanup time was also important in different ways for us: I like the extra customization, and he likes being able to just get to it. DC co-op is much more like a series marathon, while Marvel is more like a single, action-packed episode.

In the end, although I prefer Legendary, I don't hate DC. I can't stand its theme, but I understand why others love it. The awkward thing is I absolutely adore Batman more than any others. When I play Legendary, I really feel I see an interaction between the various characters, but I can see how having a core identity would make for an interesting experience, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
cad37 wrote:
My kids like DC better, generally. But we bought Marvel because the reviews were so much better. Love Legendary of course. Wondering how some of you feel about the DC Game, thanks!

Kids these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you ask this same question on the DC boards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanna read that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ovi Matteo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have the original game plus Heroes Unite and Forever Evil. Basically, 3 standalone boxes mashed together.

I play this game when I am too lazy to setup Legendary and want to play in my bed.

I am thinking of selling everything because I am getting bored. After finishing a game last night, I noticed that all I have done was to recruit the highest cards available for the power that I generated. My hero's ability was useless because it required some specific cards that never appeared in play. Unlike Legendary, it is not recommended to mix everything together.

I doubt I will play this game often in the future since I just got 7 Wonders Duel which is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mb
no I am too addicted to marvel legendary My 5 year old and I play almost every night

I honestly read the reviews on DC game and was scared off by the basic premise of Green Lantern using the Bat mobile every game. My kids would think that was very odd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Waits
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djhalstead wrote:
I have only had one game of the DC deck building game and I wasn't overly impressed however I am interested by how many deck builders use the Cerberus Engine and how compatible they are with each other?

I have Cartoon Network Crossover Crisis and I think it mixes pretty well. We even played it with the Watchmen pack once and that was a blast. Street Fighter appears to be a good fit as well.

Lord of the Rings, Naruto, and Attack on Titan have a little bit different terminology so I wasn't planning on getting those, but they look like they might work with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChrisWaits wrote:
djhalstead wrote:

I have Cartoon Network Crossover Crisis and I think it mixes pretty well. We even played it with the Watchmen pack once and that was a blast. Street Fighter appears to be a good fit as well.

Lord of the Rings, Naruto, and Attack on Titan have a little bit different terminology so I wasn't planning on getting those, but they look like they might work with each other.

I have street fighter it mixes really well, its filled with attack cards and adds in the ability to do counter attacks. Lastly instead of super villains it has stages (locations) you get instead better for the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off despite being a life long Marvel comic book fan (I don't collect anymore but at one time had a Marvel-only collection numbering in the thousands) I still have a lot of love for DC and their most iconic characters (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman being the 'Big Three'). When Legendary:Marvel came out I was in from day 1. Loved it right out of the gate and while there have been good expansions (Dark City, Villains, Paint the Town Red) and bad (Fear Itself, Fantastic Four (*sigh*) ) overall the game has developed and mature beautifully and is a staple at our game nights.

the DC Comics Deck-Building Game, aside from having the worst name I have heard for a game (why didn't they just call it DC Icons - the name was right freaking there) was a major disappointment to me. I learned to play from my BiL who is a huge DC fan (honestly he dips into the 'annoying fanboy' mode a little too much sometimes) and his enthusiasm really couldn't save the dull game play and limited scope of the game. It felt like I was playing in isolation from the other players (my so-called teammates of the JLA) and was working against them rather than with them as I'd expected (incidentally this was a major problem for my BiL when playing Legendary - he didn't feel he was part of the team (XMen I think) and that really confused me at the time).

The most damning thing about the DCCDBG to me is that fact even my Bil rarely plays it anymore. He still refuses to try Legendary again (he played once and declared barely 1/3 of the way through, that game was confusing and boring) but has made me play DCCDBG multiple times (but not for a year or so now).

In the end I think the itch DCCDBG is meant to scratch just isn't there for me. Shame too as they have a built in market and could have easily put together a real winner here with stronger ties to their theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffcuetis wrote:
bad [expansions] (Fear Itself, Fantastic Four (*sigh*) ) overall the game has developed and mature beautifully and is a staple at our game nights.

um...what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.