Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you take points for completing the starting castle area, if it is a 1-space area? This wouldn't matter if everybody has one, but some boards have larger castle areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rchandra wrote:
Do you take points for completing the starting castle area, if it is a 1-space area? This wouldn't matter if everybody has one, but some boards have larger castle areas.

This is not categorical but we have never done so. The first castle is just your starting point and I don't think it would make any sense to score them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first castle is placed as part of set-up and does not occur as part of the game, thus no bonus points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumps wrote:
The first castle is placed as part of set-up and does not occur as part of the game, thus no bonus points.

Agreed. In the setup portion of the rules players are instructed to place their scoring markers onto the 0/100 space of the victory point track AFTER placing their starting castles.

EDIT: Possibly the ONLY thing in CoB you don't get points for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all of the above. But it does occur to me that this rule might have made board design and variety a lot more interesting with respect to placing your starting castle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow-up question: If you place your starting castle on a field of size 2, when you place the second castle, do you score a field of size 1 or size 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
2. At that point the game is in operation and there are no special rules to account for this. Just one reason to maybe choose a starting castle in a region greater than size 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
2. At that point the game is in operation and there are no special rules to account for this. Just one reason to maybe choose a starting castle in a region greater than size 1.

That's how I understand it as well, but the OP got me thinking. So placing it in a size 2 field would indeed be slightly advantageous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brinich
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
No. What would be the point of having everybody start with 11 points (since everybody would put their castle in a size-1 dark green spot and not use boards where this wasn't possible) instead of everybody starting with 0 points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.