12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Any early UK Monopoly experts here? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have an early Monopoly. It has the board and seperate box. The box is unusual. It is not of the usual design of the era. The board and instructions both have 'patent applied for 3796/36 but the box is a very plain blue colour. My first thought was is this some sort of replacement box, but the compartments all look right. Maybe an early prototype?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Your top picture covers up who it was manufactured by... what does it say?

I wonder about cross indexing it against this link:
http://monopoly.cdbpdx.com/GB_PAF_1/

The box for the bits is odd, IMO. The wee box version exists in multi-colours in the link above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry here is a better picture. Its by Waddingtons.

I did look at that site but no sign of this box although the contents seem to be the same as on that link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My father had that edition as well. I believe it was produced during the war under paper rationing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Burbage wrote:
My father had that edition as well. I believe it was produced during the war under paper rationing.

I'm not sure thats exactly the case because this the patent applied for version (pre war) and has metal playing pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Maybe you can find the answer here: http://www.worldofmonopoly.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Giant_Monster wrote:
Maybe you can find the answer here: http://www.worldofmonopoly.com/

I contacted them a few days ago but no reply as of yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
It almost look like a homemade box or a replacement box someone decorated with stickers.

Is Monopoly written with stickers? It looks like the M is peeling and the word is off center. The font also looks more modern so I don't think it is a prototype, but I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Giant_Monster wrote:
It almost look like a homemade box or a replacement box someone decorated with stickers.

Is Monopoly written with stickers? It looks like the M is peeling and the word is off center. The font also looks more modern so I don't think it is a prototype, but I could be wrong.

You may well be right. The writing on the lid does seem to be stuck on. What made me think it may not be homemade was the compartments in the box seem to be a lot of trouble for someone to go to.

Also the Waddingtons logo at the time (not as found on the Monopoly) was also this light blue colour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizwag wrote:
Burbage wrote:

I'm not sure thats exactly the case because this the patent applied for version (pre war) and has metal playing pieces.

The patent date only limits how early the edition can be, not how late. Metal and paper were rationed, not totally banned. And the rationing changed as the war went on. Rationing ended pretty late too, wasn't it the 1950s before it ended totally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant_Monster wrote:

It's not homemade. My Father's box is exactly the same. I seem to remember the cover being plain though, so the sticker may be a later addition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Looking at some of the boxes like this one: http://monopoly.cdbpdx.com/BoxTops/tn-500_Mon_LongBoxNo8_194...

Perhaps it was one of the editions where they just slapped a small sticker on a plain cardboard box, but the old sticker came off and someone added "monopoly" stickers to identify the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.