Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So, one of the things you do as a designer is you try to playtest the heck out of things, so folks can enjoy the game without any ambiguity getting in the way. Errata is of course very embarrassing. I'm not going to say it's inevitable-- it's not-- but it always seems like me and my small army of playtesters can go through a game dozens of times, and still miss a tiny little thing that is, in retrospect, obvious. I think the only game of mine that's ever gone out with absolutely zero errata was NORTHERN PACIFIC, and that's because, as John Bohrer said in his own inimitable fashion, the game only has two rules.

That thing for THE GRUNWALD SWORDS-- so far, anyway, and hopefully the only thing-- is that the set-up instructions for the Allied side, "anywhere to the right of the dotted line", only really makes sense if you're looking at the map with the hill on the left and the woods on the right, and could confuse the whole "left wing/right wing" distinction. What we should have said is "anywhere between the dotted lines and the woods". Likewise, we should have said that the Lithuanians re-enter from "the edge of the map with the woods", instead of "east", because this genius forgot to ask our amazing and talented artist to put a compass on the map.

We'll fix this in the next batch that get printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmb
I remember back when I took a mapping class in college. The instructor told us to "ALWAYS PUT A COMPASS ON THE MAP". He said (he ran some mapping geology company) that he would fire any map maker who didn't put a compass on any map they made. He was very adamant about it. But many wargame maps don't have compasses. I guess cause its always a struggle to keep wargame maps visually clear, and avoid unnecessary "clutter".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cisco Serret wrote:
I remember back when I took a mapping class in college. The instructor told us to "ALWAYS PUT A COMPASS ON THE MAP". He said (he ran some mapping geology company) that he would fire any map maker who didn't put a compass on any map they made. He was very adamant about it. But many wargame maps don't have compasses. I guess cause its always a struggle to keep wargame maps visually clear, and avoid unnecessary "clutter".

And in some cases, like House of Normandy and games that use geomorphic maps, "North" can differ wildly from scenario to scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
tomrussell wrote:
Cisco Serret wrote:

And in some cases, like House of Normandy and games that use geomorphic maps, "North" can differ wildly from scenario to scenario.

Geo morphs are an exception. Though they ought to be numbered/and or labelled PLUS have a layout diagram in the scenario description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.