Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been sitting on the lcg sidelines for a while now...and this has me wanting to dive into the deep end. But I'm curious how groups typically foot the bill for this investment, particularly with coop lcgs. Do you...
A) buy it all yourself and let friends play, or,
B) equally invest? And how would you do that? (Ie : each buy a core set and alternate buying cycles, or split everything down the middle?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play LOTR with a friend, while he had bought LOTR and a few expansions before we started playing together, he's stopped purchasing his own expansions. Now we actually just use my card pool to save mixing them up. So now I'm the one buying everything, which I don't mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I usually buy a copy of our own and just do a group buy when things are released.

With some LCGs like Doomtown I pretty much need to let people borrow a deck just because no one else really plays.

With Netrunner we all buy our own cards and Datapacks. We all like having together multiple decks and don't mind loaning them out to people who want to play but don't have their own cards.

With Loaed of the Rings we all have also bought our own sets. However, I usually have two decks together and wouldn't mind people making decks from my cards if I were to run a campaign with a different group. Personally, with co-op LCGs like LotR and Arkham I prefer having my own cards because I'll play solo when I can't meet up with others.

With Arkham there's one other person getting a core set with me. We're certainly looking forward to playing together, but I'll most likely buy a 2nd core so I can run the game with a few others at a local game day. They'll just use my decks and scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csaman wrote:

Much of my play time with this game will be solo in between game nights, so I want to have everything myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Colddie
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my case, with Netrunner I buy the packs I want. My two buddies have a decent base of 2 first cycles and all big boxes (the reason why they stopped buying datapacks was mostly caused by the fact that they ceased publishing the Polish edition before the Lunar cycle). The few cards they do not have they usually proxy, they do not borrow them from me to not tip what kind of deck they are playing.

Doomtown was my purchase, so when we were playing I was building the decks for everybody and I also shared my decklists before the game to even the odds.

In LoTR I was the new pack guy, so we were playing my scenarios, one of the guys had a core-only deck so I borrowed him some cards if he needed it and I built a deck for the other one who had bought nothing.

So, I will be buying everything for myself in case of AH, given I like the game. I will only buy one core, though. What I lack in doubles I will borrow/trade with my buds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
csaman wrote:

Much of my play time with this game will be solo in between game nights, so I want to have everything myself.

same here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Dickson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
csaman wrote:

same here!

^this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rayz2112 wrote:
calpurnio1973 wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
csaman wrote:

same here!

^this

ditto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that established groups of friends tend to take to LCGs unevenly, with several dropping out with time. This is particularly true for competitive games. If you want everybody to be equally enthused, you often need to find a group to play with rather than play it with your group. LotR is slightly different in that it can cope better as a game when there is asymmetric interest, but somebody will inevitably pick up the tab nevertheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
Rayz2112 wrote:
calpurnio1973 wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
csaman wrote:

same here!

^this

ditto

Affirmative!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For LOTR which is a pure co op game (with little actual organize play and no tournaments) I've always just used my collection and allowed my friends to make decks with my cards. Since it's a co op game we just coordinate to account for possible card overlaps. Also proxy cards are always a possibility since it's just a co op game. I feel AH LCG will be the same.

Competitive games like Netrunner or AGOT are a whole other beast.

If you are playing one of the competitive LCGs casually at home with friends it's probably more or less the same. You both form decks with little overlap and proxy any cards that are must haves for both decks and you can't work around it. It will take some coordination, but it's totally doable (especially Netrunner which has a different card pool for each side of the conflict. You can just disassemble your decks after each match).

If you plan for you and your friends to both show up to organized play events and tournaments with just your collection you'll almost certainly start to run into issues in the competitive games (Netrunner, AGOT, Star War, Conquest) forming multiple tournament level competitive deck with just one collection. You won't have the luxury of proxy cards and you won't be able to swap card between decks each match in an OP or tournament setting. This is the only scenario where I think it makes sense for a game group to have multiple playsets. Like I said I don't think this will apply to AH LCG since it's a co op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Svensson
Sweden
Helsingborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play alot of LCG so here it goes;

LOTR - It began with just me buying a Core and let a friend try it. Then we were two who owned Cores. A third wanted to try, he did, and then we were three with cores. A fourth friend came along, and suddenly we were four with cores. I alone had bought all expansions, while the others began with just buying enough to build their playdecks as they wanted them. Now we are four with complete collections, even soon complete Nightmare sets too. But hey! It is a great game, especially with four players. You really need two cores, or at least split one core with a freinde so you both gets full playsets of the 2-ofs and share the 1-ofs. The game is a monster when it comes to expansions, but the fine thing with this game - it is not competitive so there is no need to buy everything.

Netrunner - Two bought all in the early days. You want two cores to experience the game, three to be 'competitive'. This game has rotation of legal sets and is exclusively a duelgame. With two cores, you and a friend can have alot of fun though.

A Game of Thrones 2nd Edition - Everyone buys their own cards. Why? Because they are nicer than candy and you want to own them, besides it is a fantastic game. You need 3 cores. You want three cores.

Star Wars LCG - It would be enough for one player to buy stuff. You need two cores. Again, a fine duel game that has very easy deckbuilding but alot of tactics when playing. It is a fine game, but it never caught on around here.

Conquest - Not really something I would recommend to anyone in it's current state. Unbalanced is just the beginning - and for me not very fun to begin with. Akin to Blood Bowl - Team manager, which is a game I rather would play instead of this.

Arkham Horror The Card Game - Unreleased as of now, but it looks like a definitive winner. They have alot of experience from LOTR on how to do this kind of game - and their track record with the Cthulhu license makes for very exciting times indeed.

Older LCG's like Call of Cthulhu and A Game of Thrones 1st Edition are either concelled or on the verge of being cancelled - so if you dont find a big collection cheap you should steer clear of those.

Oh, I just realised - this was not info you asked for really
Oh well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.