Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably a dumb question, but whenever I read a rule in a book that seems redundant or unnecessary to me, I think I might be missing something, so I want to confirm I am understanding the tech advancement rules.

In the book on pg 8, under "Advancing Technologies" the very last sentence says:

Quote:
- If a player is later reduced to a lower Technology Tier, any Advanced Technologies remain in play and can be used to their full effect. The Tier requirement only applies to playing Advanced Technologies.

So first, I assume that here the word "playing" refers to "advancing" a technology right? This is the act of actually placing the card in a slot.

Second, since the tier requirement for advancing a technology can be met by either having a Base built in the right tier OR by already having a slotted technology of an appropriate tier (i.e. 1 below or higher), then isn't this statement obvious on its face?

Losing a base and therefore dropping down a tier on your player board is irrelevant because you already have a technology "in play" that is the same tier (i.e. the card itself). It's like a truism... having a tier 2 tech slotted means you are allowed to slot tier 2 techs, regardless of what your player board shows.

Anyway, I think I have it right, and I am guessing that the point of the rule was to make sure people didn't think that losing bases meant you had to give up technology. But since bases aren't the only way to qualify for tech tiers, it seems obvious to me, and redundant to state. That makes me worry I'm actually completely misunderstanding something!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely sounds correct to me. Been a long time since I have played, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dan,

I'm a long-time player and have the rulebook with me now, so like Kent above, can confirm that every one the paragraphs in your OP is 100% correct.

Except, personally, I'm glad that Oliver included that one sentence that has you wondering. I thrive on clarity in rulebooks. So while redundancy of that sentence may be apparent upon a second look, it's very much appreciated when first learning the game!

This can be a complex game for newbies, and including sentences such as that - which help to answer a question before it's asked - only help to lighten the learning curve.

And, because that's just the sort of question I would ask! So while learning the rules for the first time, I could see myself blurting out, "What happens if your Tech Tier goes down?" Of course, after playing the game, or just by thinking about it for a bit, I can arrive at my own answer.

So IOW, it only confirms the answer that most people would arrive at on their own.

Also, I guess that it must've been asked enough in playtesting, that it needed to be addressed. Either that, or Oliver knows how I like to see rulebooks answer potential questions!

Anyway, welcome to the game! I hope you join me in a continuing quest to get "converts" to this great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You all got it

In hindsight, it would've been more accurate to say in the last sentence that the requirements only apply to advancing technologies - as one might interpret "playing" to be the same as using the ability of a technology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to get a chance to play our first game of it at Pacificon tonight or tomorrow. But I'll need to find another player to join us that's willing to sit through my fumbles in teaching and then the game itself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.