Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dear_abby [+] [View All]
Derek Bradley
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...my roommate has bedbugs. Which means the entire apartment has to get treated over the next 6 weeks. Even though we're not supposed to remove anything from the apartment, there is no other way to empty all closets, shelves, and drawers and move all furniture three feet away from the wall like they are requiring us to. So all my books and games had to be moved out--there was just no place else to put it all--my apartment isn't big enough. My roommate rented a storage unit which, while extremely affordable, was not climate controlled and is bloody hot.

Which games would you be most worried about keeping in a hot storage unit for two months? (On the positive side, it will certainly get rid of any bedbugs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games with thin boxes might warp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that while the storage unit might get hot, it probably isn't going to be significantly hotter than the shipping container that spent a month on the docks and on the water from the factory to the receiving port, or the distribution center that stored it until it was ordered, or the truck that ultimately brought it to your game store or house.

Pete (would probably not worry too much about it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
My guess is that while the storage unit might get hot, it probably isn't going to be significantly hotter than the shipping container that spent a month on the docks and on the water from the factory to the receiving port, or the distribution center that stored it until it was ordered, or the truck that ultimately brought it to your game store or house.

Pete (would probably not worry too much about it)

I agree the issue isn't the heat, its the moisture from the humidity that will ruin our damage the boxes and components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
msg tools
Meh. Unless your games are all highly collectible editions that you plan on flipping, then I wouldn't worry about heat or anything like that for a couple months.

What I would worry about is moving things to storage that could have bedbug eggs in them. I would triple check with the treatment guys before I took anything out of the apartment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the storage unit gets as hot as 113 degrees Fahrenheit it will kill any bed bugs carried there http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/pdf/bb-heat1.pdf. I am still not sure why I looked this up but it piqued my interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:
Meh. Unless your games are all highly collectible editions that you plan on flipping, then I wouldn't worry about heat or anything like that for a couple months.

What I would worry about is moving things to storage that could have bedbug eggs in them. I would triple check with the treatment guys before I took anything out of the apartment.

Cris, if that were a possible option, I would have done it. There was just no human way to move everything 3 feet away from the wall. As it is, even with half my stuff moved out, everything is packed to the ceiling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Pandakai wrote:
WetRock wrote:

Cris, if that were a possible option, I would have done it. There was just no human way to move everything 3 feet away from the wall. As it is, even with half my stuff moved out, everything is packed to the ceiling.

Possible or not, you may be helping the bed bugs move back in (or spread to other storage units) when you return your stuff to your apartment which will force you to have to repeat the process.

Sounds like you need a bigger apartment or you need to purge some stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant_Monster wrote:
Pandakai wrote:
WetRock wrote:

Possible or not, you may be helping the bed bugs move back in (or spread to other storage units) when you return your stuff to your apartment which will force you to have to repeat the process.

Very true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pandakai wrote:
Cris, if that were a possible option, I would have done it.

Having gone through bedbug treatment at my own home, if you insist on removing and returning your games, I advise you to be prepared to repeat the whole treatment process all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put a thermometer in the unit and hope it gets to 113 degrees over an extended period of time, or you will not get rid of those nasty things.

What a conundrum! Good luck.

So if this post doesn't make everyone paranoid about buying used games, I don't know what will. Eek! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
msg tools
Jorath wrote:
If the storage unit gets as hot as 113 degrees Fahrenheit it will kill any bed bugs carried there http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/pdf/bb-heat1.pdf. I am still not sure why I looked this up but it piqued my interest.

If of course. I had heard some stories a few years ago where the most effective treatment was a heat treatment. They essentially close off a room or area and introduce heated air for some amount of time. It was apparently costly to do this for some reason so it wasn't done in all cases. I do not know if that cost has come down to be used more widely yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
WetRock wrote:
Jorath wrote:

If of course. I had heard some stories a few years ago where the most effective treatment was a heat treatment. They essentially close off a room or area and introduce heated air for some amount of time. It was apparently costly to do this for some reason so it wasn't done in all cases. I do not know if that cost has come down to be used more widely yet.

According to the article linked above: "bed bug eggs must be exposed to 118°F for 90 minutes to reach 100% mortality".

I'm not sure I'd want to keep my stuff in a storage unit that gets that hot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We had bedbugs a few years ago. There are large heavy duty garbage bag sized plastic ziploc bags. We took a lot of our stuff and sealed them up in the bags and stored them in the garage for the winter. The cold kills bedbugs. It should work in the summer to heat stuff up. Sealing the stuff is good because they won't migrate to infect other people's stuff in storage and should keep out any moisture there might be in storage. Heat itself should not damage games if the games are stacked well in storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's an example of the bags I'm talking about:

https://amzn.com/B003U6A3EY?tag=article-boardgamegeek-20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandakai wrote:
Giant_Monster wrote:
Pandakai wrote:
WetRock wrote:

Very true.

If you plan to sell these games, you really should leave them in the apartment for the treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prop Joe wrote:
Pandakai wrote:
Giant_Monster wrote:
Pandakai wrote:
WetRock wrote:

Very true.

If you plan to sell these games, you really should leave them in the apartment for the treatment.

Are you just not getting this? THERE IS NO ROOM IN THE APARTMENT TO PUT THEM FOR THEM TO RECEIVE TREATMENT. That is not an option. And you really don't understand what treatment involves. They're not spraying down everything in the apartment. Anything that has been moved away from the walls is supposed to be washed and sealed. That is the treatment. You tell me how to wash a game or a book. They put a powder along the perimeter of all the rooms and inspect all closets, bookshelves, and drawers, with the exception of the kitchen and bathroom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
We had bedbugs a few years ago. There are large heavy duty garbage bag sized plastic ziploc bags. We took a lot of our stuff and sealed them up in the bags and stored them in the garage for the winter. The cold kills bedbugs. It should work in the summer to heat stuff up. Sealing the stuff is good because they won't migrate to infect other people's stuff in storage and should keep out any moisture there might be in storage. Heat itself should not damage games if the games are stacked well in storage.

Interesting. Would sealing the bags also cause the oxygen to run out at some point, asphyxiating the bugs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandakai wrote:
Prop Joe wrote:
Pandakai wrote:
Giant_Monster wrote:
Pandakai wrote:
WetRock wrote:

Very true.

Are you just not getting this? THERE IS NO ROOM IN THE APARTMENT TO PUT THEM FOR THEM TO RECEIVE TREATMENT. That is not an option. And you really don't understand what treatment involves. They're not spraying down everything in the apartment. Anything that has been moved away from the walls is supposed to be washed and sealed. That is the treatment. You tell me how to wash a game or a book. They put a powder along the perimeter of all the rooms and inspect all closets, bookshelves, and drawers, with the exception of the kitchen and bathroom.

No, I'm not getting it.

Your OP said they told you not to remove anything from the apartment. Why did they tell you that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prop Joe wrote:
Pandakai wrote:
Prop Joe wrote:
Pandakai wrote:
Giant_Monster wrote:
Pandakai wrote:
WetRock wrote:

Very true.

No, I'm not getting it.

Your OP said they told you not to remove anything from the apartment. Why did they tell you that?

You explain to me how to do the impossible. Then I'll do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Quick, serious advice: many games come with those "do not eat this" silica desiccant packets specifically to address the humidity issue. Buy a box of 'em and put one in each game box if you're concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
rlesco wrote:
igelkott255 wrote:

Interesting. Would sealing the bags also cause the oxygen to run out at some point, asphyxiating the bugs?
Nope, you freeze them solid, bag is "no-escape-for-you".

Most Canadian unattached garages have no heat.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/wild-things/bedbugs-survive...

"All it takes is 80 hours in temperatures of -16° C." Also works on humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I know of that has a 'do not store in heat' warning is Mystic Vale.

The special bag suggestion that another poster mentioned sounds like a good idea. That should allow you to protect the games from moisture as well as prevent the spread of the bugs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Waz
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If the roommate is the source of the infestation I would get my own unit and not continue to "share the wealth"...or bugs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystic Vale has had a warning issued about hot temperature as the plastic cards can bend and warp, making the game unplayable.

Outside this very specific game, i doubt any damage could occur to any other game i know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.