Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know they have very different themes etc., but both are card drafting with area control. Just wondering if anyone feels there's room for both, or has a preference of one over the other. Also, how does it compare to Blood Rage in complexity? I find Blood Rage to be fun, but somewhat light, and was hoping this one had a bit more meat to it. Many thanks to anyone who has done their research or played both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
I didn't play this game, but this one seems way more light and less confrontational. It's way different than blood rage too. The three different win conditions ensure that. I love Blood Rage and I really want Inis. The only thing that is scaring me is the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
From my brief research, less burden on rules.

Inis has more emphasis on negotiation, and different draft rules provide more flexible strategies. The sanctuary mechanic is a fresh breathe in a sea of dudes on a map this year, that will give some interesting dynamics as well.

Have I talked about the pretender mechanic that you are declaring victory? Yeah, no more "oops I win", I don't need this in every board game, but playing multiplayer game with "oops I win" is hardly satisfying, glad to see it being implemented in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both games quite a bit, and there are very different. And I like them both a lot !

The fact that the action cards that you draft are the same each turn in Inis make the draft much more tactical. Drafting in Blood Rage is much more opportunistic.

Blood Rage is much more centered on combats. While combat will happen in Inis it is by far not in the center of a strategy.

In Blood Rage, you play three ages. In Inis, the number of rounds you will play will vary.

Winning in Blood Rage means having the most victory points. The winner in Inis is the first player to have more victory conditions than the others, it feels more like a race.

I would happily play both games and for me they feel very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The rules are an easy read and can offer insight as well:

Stefan Matagot wrote:
The rules are available on our website :

http://www.matagot.com/IMG/pdf/INIS_RULES_EN_basse_def.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coiote wrote:
I didn't play this game, but this one seems way more light and less confrontational. It's way different than blood rage too. The three different win conditions ensure that. I love Blood Rage and I really want Inis. The only thing that is scaring me is the price.

Thanks for all the replies! Less confrontational tends to be a plus for me. I'm surprised that you said its lighter as the complexity rating is higher than Blood Rage currently. Anyone have insights as to which game would appeal more to a euro gamer? I definitely fall more into that column, but I do love a good hybrid. I'm also a bit surprised that Shut up and Sit Down didn't like Blood Rage much, but seemed to love this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm also a bit surprised that Shut up and Sit Down didn't like Blood Rage much, but seemed to love this one.

They also rate Cyclades much higher than Blood Rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coiote wrote:
The only thing that is scaring me is the price.

Which is strange, since it retails in France for 50Euros, according to Matagot's website
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Quote:
I'm also a bit surprised that Shut up and Sit Down didn't like Blood Rage much, but seemed to love this one.

They also rate Cyclades much higher than Blood Rage.

Which makes a lot of sense. It seems Inis is similar to Cyclades in many ways. Actions aren't selected via auction, but by draft. Game ends immediately when a certain goal is achieved.

I love Cyclades but was only "meh" on BR. And I think I'll really like Inis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coiote wrote:

Lighter than Blood Rage? Blood Rage is an incredibly light game for how overproduced the components are. I would call it light-medium. Blood Rage's mechanics and strategy are both pretty simple.

Inis appears to be far more deep and involved than Blood Rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
amodman wrote:
Coiote wrote:

Lighter than Blood Rage? Blood Rage is an incredibly light game for how overproduced the components are. I would call it light-medium. Blood Rage's mechanics and strategy are both pretty simple.

Ibis appears to be far more deep and involved than Blood Rage.

In my opinion it appears to be. In blood rage, I will stomp every non gamer or new player easily. There is also more rules to teach. Inis is way easier to teach and more forgiving to new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amodman wrote:
Coiote wrote:

I'm really hoping this is true. I had the same impression of Blood Rage, pretty light, with some strategic and tactical decisions based on cards to draft, when to play them, what territories to go for, to kill yourself off or not etc., and while I really like it, I'm not sure it has enough strategy to say I LOVE it. I am really hoping that Inis is more of a brainburner, but it may not be.

As for SUSD, seems to me that INIS has much more in common with BR than Cyclades other than it is less confrontational. SUSD felt the drafting in Blood Rage was not very interesting, and mind you I skimmed through their video, but they must think the drafting and decisions in Inis are more interesting to rate it that much higher (maybe above Cyclades).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgamern8 wrote:
amodman wrote:
Coiote wrote:

I'm really hoping this is true. I had the same impression of Blood Rage, pretty light, with some strategic and tactical decisions based on cards to draft, when to play them, what territories to go for, to kill yourself off or not etc., and while I really like it, I'm not sure it has enough strategy to say I LOVE it. I am really hoping that Inis is more of a brainburner, but it may not be.

As for SUSD, seems to me that INIS has much more in common with BR than Cyclades other than it is less confrontational. SUSD felt the drafting in Blood Rage was not very interesting, and mind you I skimmed through their video, but they must think the drafting and decisions in Inis are more interesting to rate it that much higher (maybe above Cyclades).

The drafting in Inis certain looks more interesting than Blood Rage to me...

Inis's draftings appears to have a much more substantial impact on both what you can do that turn AND how the cards will shape your strategy over time. There's just so much more going on with the Inis cards, I think. I certainly could be wrong, but the moving pieces in Inis (via SUSD review) look far more meaty than the relatively simple drafting in Blood Rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amodman wrote:
bgamern8 wrote:
amodman wrote:
Coiote wrote:

The drafting in Inis certain looks more interesting than Blood Rage to me...

Inis's draftings appears to have a much more substantial impact on both what you can do that turn AND how the cards will shape your strategy over time. There's just so much more going on with the Inis cards, I think. I certainly could be wrong, but the moving pieces in Inis (via SUSD review) look far more meaty than the relatively simple drafting in Blood Rage.

That sounds great. I like that its been described as more of a chess match. Can anyone comment on if there is an element of randomness in the game, and to what extent it is present? I tend to dislike building a strategy to have it ruined by dice rolls (I know there's no dice in this one). Also, is there any long term strategy or is it mostly tactical, and reacting to your opponents in the moment? Thanks again everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgamern8 wrote:

That sounds great. I like that its been described as more of a chess match. Can anyone comment on if there is an element of randomness in the game, and to what extent it is present? I tend to dislike building a strategy to have it ruined by dice rolls (I know there's no dice in this one). Also, is there any long term strategy or is it mostly tactical, and reacting to your opponents in the moment? Thanks again everyone!

The randomness can come from the Epic Tales cards that you draw randomly from a deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Thimbleby
msg tools
There is also randomness in dealing action cards each round.

- Not just in which one is removed each round, but also were those cards get dealt to start with.

And in which map tiles get explored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the information everyone. Went ahead and pre-ordered using miniature market's Labor Day $5 off coupon! Looks like release is set for November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me that Blood Rage is much more volatile, you can't plan ahead what cards you might get in future ages. The board practically wipes each round, which is why BloodRage is much more card based, you're just trying to suss out who has what card. Inis looks more board-centric where you build up a strategy over time on the board and can plan ahead better.

Blood Rage is also hyper-aggressive with nonstop battles and opportunities to join battles, whereas Inis people can choose to just not have a fight at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis _
Germany
flag msg tools
Coiote wrote:
amodman wrote:
Coiote wrote:

Ibis appears to be far more deep and involved than Blood Rage.

In my opinion it appears to be. In blood rage, I will stomp every non gamer or new player easily. There is also more rules to teach. Inis is way easier to teach and more forgiving to new players.

Having to learn the effects of a huge deck of cards (as in BR) doesn't make a game heavy necessarily. The reason, why I think that Inis is way heavier is not: having to learn more rules or more card effects, but the opposite: fewer card effects (16 out of 17 action cards are present each round!), fewer unit types (just one, precisely), fewer rules but therefore: much more strategy to evolve, because almost everything is visible or comprehensible (kind of like in Chess, which isn't light either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Yeager
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Blood Rage feels like 7 Wonders with an area control element. Emphasis is on drafting to score points each phase and maybe set up for future phases. Timing, rage-management, and positioning are extra wrinkles that give the game its depth.

Inis feels like Game of Thrones with a drafting element. Emphasis is on how your dudes are positioned on the map. Timing is key. The draft feels like the extra wrinkle. There are no victory point. The games are very different from one another and feel very different, imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.