$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 133.26

7,796 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

War of the Ring: Warriors of Middle-earth» Forums » General

Subject: Treebeard Redundant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Pham
Canada
flag msg tools
So let's say I had a limitless bank account (I don't) and had missed getting the promotional Treebeard miniature & card that launched with Lords of Middle Earth. With Warriors of Middle Earth coming out, is there any reason to spend $200 on ebay on a Treebeard promo?

Looks like we're getting a new, updated, Treebeard card, and the miniatures for the ents look like the exact same sculpt that Treebeard was, the only difference being the colour of the plastic, something that is of no import if you paint your miniatures (I do).

The only thing I can think of, is the off-chance theoretical reason that you might have all the ents that come with WoME deployed on the board, AND Treebeard at the same time, but that seems unlikely.

Anyway, just spitballing here. Here's the question -

Does the release of WoME totally invalidate the promo Treebeard that came with LoME? I hope so.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Veghel
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of threads related to Treebeard and it usefulness in the new expansion:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/23581717

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1594299/treebeard-included

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1616193/hoom-hom-what-we-kno...

Hope that those link help.

So far it seems that it mostly depends on your kind of style (collection everything, only playing with all expansions, and so forth) and is not essential by far.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Potter
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
I just bought Treebeard off of the geek market for 15 bucks last week. The listing is still up so maybe there are more copies.

EDIT: https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/950291
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newratcity wrote:
So let's say I had a limitless bank account (I don't) and had missed getting the promotional Treebeard miniature & card that launched with Lords of Middle Earth. With Warriors of Middle Earth coming out, is there any reason to spend $200 on ebay on a Treebeard promo?

Looks like we're getting a new, updated, Treebeard card, and the miniatures for the ents look like the exact same sculpt that Treebeard was, the only difference being the colour of the plastic, something that is of no import if you paint your miniatures (I do).

The only thing I can think of, is the off-chance theoretical reason that you might have all the ents that come with WoME deployed on the board, AND Treebeard at the same time, but that seems unlikely.

Anyway, just spitballing here. Here's the question -

Does the release of WoME totally invalidate the promo Treebeard that came with LoME? I hope so.


It doesn't invalidate, but he will be seen even more rarely used in games. He will be easier to put into play, but - I think - a weaker character overall.
I wouldn't cry over it, but I agree that he'll definitely need some house rule (don't really think AG will issue new rules for something that was originally a promo anyway).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
He's the same figure, molded out of a different color of plastic.

I like to have him for completeness, and its neat to see him sitting by the board. But there are usually much better things to be done with your action dice than bring him in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
and this makes me sad every time
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I bought War of the Ring: Lords of Middle-earth a few years back, I posted a series of pictures contrasting the 'new' figures with the ones from WotR CE. Here's the one comparing Treebeard with a garden variety Ent:

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pham
Canada
flag msg tools
I appreciate the discussion, and its nice to see the geekmarket to the rescue, but what I think I poorly worded my question. Does WoME make him physically redundant, seeing as he's just a differently coloured sculpt?

Its looking like the answer is yes, but I suppose j should go over the WoME rulebook to see how likely it is you'll have all the supplied ents out on the table, PLUS Treebeard himself. (:
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Simply paint one Ent differently. Better to have a 'Treebeard' and short one Ent figure than the other way around.

I'm considering updating my Treebeard house rules for WoME to ensure he gets on the board more often than his WoME card may allow.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newratcity wrote:
Does the release of WoME totally invalidate the promo Treebeard that came with LoME? I hope so.


It does. The new Treebeard card replaces the promo. The only thing you don't get is the plastic miniature.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an extra Treebeard model (silver plastic). I'd swap him for a Gollum or Sauron regular.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
and this makes me sad every time


Erm...what precisely? Missing out on Treebeard?

Rafamir wrote:
I'm considering updating my Treebeard house rules for WoME to ensure he gets on the board more often than his WoME card may allow.


Check out the savedbyhim01 playthrough in the Sessions (the guy playing while his wife went into labor).

He used Treebeard as if he was a Companion to maintain the Ent faction in the game. I'm not sure whether it had ruined the balance of their game, as the Free Peoples did indeed win in the end.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
Sargeras777 wrote:
Baramon wrote:
and this makes me sad every time


Erm...what precisely? Missing out on Treebeard?

Rafamir wrote:
I'm considering updating my Treebeard house rules for WoME to ensure he gets on the board more often than his WoME card may allow.


Check out the savedbyhim01 playthrough in the Sessions (the guy playing while his wife went into labor).

He used Treebeard as if he was a Companion to maintain the Ent faction in the game. I'm not sure whether it had ruined the balance of their game, as the Free Peoples did indeed win in the end.


I have a figure but it's rarely the right moment to get him instead of something else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fremen wrote:
newratcity wrote:
Does the release of WoME totally invalidate the promo Treebeard that came with LoME? I hope so.


It does. The new Treebeard card replaces the promo. The only thing you don't get is the plastic miniature.


Although you get a painted figure as well in the Limited Edition of LoME.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
For the record, here are the differences between the two versions of Treebeard.

Condition to enter play:
Both of them require a Companion in Fangorn and a muster die result. WoMe Treebeard may also be brought into play by a Recruit Faction die.

Abilities are the same:
Both of them can provide a combat die and enable the use of combat cards requiring a companion.

Condition for Level 2:
LoMe: Treebeard is Level 2 after you use any "The Ents Awake" Event Card or Combat Card effect, once he is in play.
WoMe: Treebeard is Level 2 after you use any "March of the Ents" Event Card, or a Call to Battle effect for the Ents.

May the new Treebeard be Level 2 before having been brought into play?

Edit:
While LoMe Treebeard enabled Ent attacks on Orthanc (via Event Cards) and allowed the recruiting Companion to leave Fangorn, WoMe Treebeard does not suffice to keep the Ent faction in play. Thus the recruiting Companion is bound to Fangorn if you intend to use the Ent Faction.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23852442
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Veghel
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say so, it was also the case for the initial Treebeard, so it seems it would also be the case for the WoME Treebeard

Since the text specifies that he becomes level 2, no matter if he is in play or not. So he will become level 2 even when he is standing next to the board on his character card once any of the mentioned cards is played.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
How do you mean "it was also the case for the initial Treebeard"? The old card explicitly states "once he is in play" while the new one does not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
Sargeras777 wrote:
Baramon wrote:
and this makes me sad every time


Erm...what precisely? Missing out on Treebeard?

Rafamir wrote:
I'm considering updating my Treebeard house rules for WoME to ensure he gets on the board more often than his WoME card may allow.


Check out the savedbyhim01 playthrough in the Sessions (the guy playing while his wife went into labor).

He used Treebeard as if he was a Companion to maintain the Ent faction in the game. I'm not sure whether it had ruined the balance of their game, as the Free Peoples did indeed win in the end.


I have a figure but it's rarely the right moment to get him instead of something else.


You're talking about WoMe?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Veghel
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tatze wrote:
How do you mean "it was also the case for the initial Treebeard"? The old card explicitly states "once he is in play" while the new one does not.


You post indeed says that, we never played it like that (I guess) hence the confusion. Thanks for your sharp eye.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Veghel
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a thread in which they state (or discuss) that Treebeard does not count as Companion for the sake of the Entmoot or Ent Faction. (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/23852442)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, none of the Entish Faction Cards don't refer to Companions, so in terms of the Ent Cards and Treebeard's usefulness, it definitely goes down that way as well.

It's very strange how he's a 0-leadership character. Even the little Hobbits have got 1 Leadership.
We're thinking that that might be what he definitely needs and are gonna try a variant with him functioning as a Leader. Considering how Rohan doesn't have its own Characters anyways (cries in himself hoping some future expansion/promo may bring forth some) and the fact that Rohan gets the full impact early on, I do not think that would make the Free Peoples a bit overpowered.

I don't remember any other Character in the entire game having 0 leadership...and really, Treebeard is a sort of a leader himself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Treebeard is not a good leader. If it weren't for the Hotbbits, he wouldn't even have had the Ents leave Fangorn. The Hobbits were the real power behind the Ents, which is why there must always be a companion in Fangorn.

Sure, the other Ents seem to listen to him when he does decide something, but he is too indecisive to function as a proper leader during a battle.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It doesn't really make sense to me that Treebeard would grant FP units a re-roll in combat. What does make sense to me, and what I plan to house-rule, is that Treebeard grants a re-roll on one missed die when playing a March of the Ents card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
It doesn't really make sense to me that Treebeard would grant FP units a re-roll in combat. What does make sense to me, and what I plan to house-rule, is that Treebeard grants a re-roll on one missed die when playing a March of the Ents card.


Condition would be wherever Treebeard is located or he has to be in Fangorn for that?

By the way, am I understanding it well that you always need 2 Ents in Fangorn to be able to do pretty much anything with them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
By the way, am I understanding it well that you always need 2 Ents in Fangorn to be able to do pretty much anything with them?


For their attacks and moves, yes. Because to move requires you take an Ent from the Entwood and place it where you want to move to, and attacking means you eliminate an Ent from the Entwood.

But I think the card allow for more variety than this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.